Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tenant (1976)

Roman Polanski stars in and directs an odd film about a man living in some alternate universe where every Parisian speaks fluent English without an accent. A girl commits suicide and he takes up the rent of her old apartment. The neighbors are odd and insist on quiet all the time. He starts seeing things, some scenes seeming like he's being a masochist and chastising his own inadequacies as a human (Polanski himself, not the character). As the film progresses things get weirder and weirder till we reach a plot twisty, muddled ending that doesn't really make up for the 2 hour plus run time.

In the end it felt like a masochistic attempt by Polanski to recreate the unique feel of his masterpiece Rosemary's Baby, but fell way, way short. It was boring, the music wasn't as good, and the weird second half really threw it for me.

5/10

The Tenant (1976)

Roman Polanski stars in and directs an odd film about a man living in some alternate universe where every Parisian speaks fluent English without an accent. A girl commits suicide and he takes up the rent of her old apartment. The neighbors are odd and insist on quiet all the time. He starts seeing things, some scenes seeming like he's being a masochist and chastising his own inadequacies as a human (Polanski himself, not the character). As the film progresses things get weirder and weirder till we reach a plot twisty, muddled ending that doesn't really make up for the 2 hour plus run time.

In the end it felt like a masochistic attempt by Polanski to recreate the unique feel of his masterpiece Rosemary's Baby, but fell way, way short. It was boring, the music wasn't as good, and the weird second half really threw it for me.

5/10

Rosemary's Baby was fantastic...I just saw that one fairly recently, actually, within the last couple months or so. Some complain that the pacing was "slow" but I actually thought it was very well-executed...just steadily ratcheted up the dark tension throughout the film before the very memorable conclusion lol. Polanski may be a terrible person but he was a great filmmaker.

Images (1972)

This is what Roman Polanski wished The Tenant was like. A children's book author begins hearing voices/seeing people that aren't there/aren't who she thinks they are. Old lovers try and rape her as she insists she's loyal to her new husband played by the late Rene Auberjonois, who seems concerned yet oblivious to his wife's growing insanity. Mirrors, cameras, and crystal windchimes are prominent throughout the film and there aren't many scenes that don't have one or two in the background.

The cinematography is gorgeous, the film taking place in rural Ireland. We see many sort of 'past and future' vision shots where the lead character sees her future self, making for some very interesting scene transitions.

Overall, the plot was a bit muddled, but the soundtrack (by John Williams!) was simply perfect and the atmosphere created in the film is stifling yet breathtaking. A worthy watch on a rainy afternoon.

7.5/10

Last edited:
already has an 8.0 on IMDb (as of 18h ago)
Man IMDb averages are such a joke. They rank The Shawshank Redemption as the best film of all time... umm what? It's a one watch film. Not re-watch worthy, I'd give it a 7.5/10 because it was a good film, just not... great. Blade Runner and A Clockwork Orange fall well below a number of other blockbusters. What?! Many of my favorite 'watch a dozen time over films' average between 5-8/10 on IMDb which is sad, I wouldn't watch them over and over if they weren't 8-10/10. This just goes to show how subjective films are and that the very purpose and existence of film critics is questionable.

Oh yeah, finished Inherent Vice (2014).

It was decent, I'm actually in agreeance with the IMDb average here (6.7/10). P.T. Anderson has made way better films with way more together plots that even if they didn't have meaning they served to truly engross; Inherent Vice, while mostly engrossing, lost me after a while. Shoulda been 30 minutes shorter. This was one of his films that just didn't hit that mark for me. The star studded cast was of some help in keeping me glued, most especially Josh Brolin and Joaquin Phoenix's interplay and dialogue.

It may be one I have to see a second time to like. Then again, I only needed to see Magnolia once to know it was a bad P.T. Anderson film (8/10 on IMDb? WTF are these reviewers on and can I get some!?) and that I'd never bother watching it again.

Anderson captured something special with Boogie Nights, kept me riveted with There Will Be Blood, hit my feels with Hard Eight. Inherent Vice fell flat somewhere, somehow.

6.5/10

Man IMDb averages are such a joke. They rank The Shawshank Redemption as the best film of all time... umm what? It's a one watch film. Not re-watch worthy, I'd give it a 7.5/10 because it was a good film, just not... great. Blade Runner and A Clockwork Orange fall well below a number of other blockbusters. What?! Many of my favorite 'watch a dozen time over films' average between 5-8/10 on IMDb which is sad, I wouldn't watch them over and over if they weren't 8-10/10. This just goes to show how subjective films are and that the very purpose and existence of film critics is questionable.

Oh yeah, finished Inherent Vice (2014).

It was decent, I'm actually in agreeance with the IMDb average here (6.7/10). P.T. Anderson has made way better films with way more together plots that even if they didn't have meaning they served to truly engross; Inherent Vice, while mostly engrossing, lost me after a while. Shoulda been 30 minutes shorter. This was one of his films that just didn't hit that mark for me. The star studded cast was of some help in keeping me glued, most especially Josh Brolin and Joaquin Phoenix's interplay and dialogue.

It may be one I have to see a second time to like. Then again, I only needed to see Magnolia once to know it was a bad P.T. Anderson film (8/10 on IMDb? WTF are these reviewers on and can I get some!?) and that I'd never bother watching it again.

Anderson captured something special with Boogie Nights, kept me riveted with There Will Be Blood, hit my feels with Hard Eight. Inherent Vice fell flat somewhere, somehow.

6.5/10

Yeah, I often agree with that. I've seen movies I LOVE with like 4-6 ratings and then some of those movies with 8 or 9 are pretty bad.

Doing a bit of a Star Wars marathon. Just finished Episode VIII The Last Jedi.

I really don't understand why that movie caught so much hate. I've watched it a few times, I think it's pretty good, one of the better ones even.

Now on to Rise of Skywalker.

Doing a bit of a Star Wars marathon. Just finished Episode VIII The Last Jedi.

I really don't understand why that movie caught so much hate. I've watched it a few times, I think it's pretty good, one of the better ones even.

Now on to Rise of Skywalker.
It's not episode 8 that caught flack from me... it's episodes 7, 8, and 9 lol.

They were utter shite and as a devout Star Wars fan I just pretend they didn't happen. They can't even reboot/remake them because most of the actors have already declared they wouldn't return to Star Wars. Most embarrassing reboot ever...

I watched a documentary called "The Poison Squad" about a chemist who worked at the USDA, Harvey Wiley, who campaigned for some of the nation's first consumer protection laws. It was great. The PBS series that it was included in ("American Experience") is excellent, I've enjoyed pretty much everything I've seen that they've put out.

Back in the day he conducted science experiments in the basement of the USDA in Washington DC...he had his own lab down there and he cooked up various chemicals to contaminate food, which he then fed to research volunteers lol...then used the results to scandalize the corrupt food bourgeoisie! We need more scientists and government officials like him

Consider, perhaps, you aren't 'average'? ;) Recall how many millions of people are out there with no clue to what 'good' is, or those that spam up the ratings of films their cousin worked on. Ratings are subjective, but also the effect of a HUGE number of people...and folks like us don't really fall 'in the middle' as we are of superior intellect and taste*.

Yeah, I often agree with that. I've seen movies I LOVE with like 4-6 ratings and then some of those movies with 8 or 9 are pretty bad.

I've watched many a movie rated 3-4, and they were worth a 3-4 rating. *May have to take myself out of the 'we' for superior intellect and taste.

Consider, perhaps, you aren't 'average'? ;) Recall how many millions of people are out there with no clue to what 'good' is, or those that spam up the ratings of films their cousin worked on. Ratings are subjective, but also the effect of a HUGE number of people...and folks like us don't really fall 'in the middle' as we are of superior intellect and taste*.

I've watched many a movie rated 3-4, and they were worth a 3-4 rating. *May have to take myself out of the 'we' for superior intellect and taste.

^nah, that just means you aren't pretentious, not that you don't have superior intellect (from what I've seen, I find your posts mostly impressive or interesting).

I've seen many movies with low ratings that absolutely deserve it and ditto with high ratings, but sometimes I find ratings so off it's scary.
But I'm very into horror and most critics are very biased against that type of movie. Did you know in some places they showed The Silence of the Lambs describing it as a "horror" to critics and in other places they showed it describing it as a "psychological thriller" to critics. On average, the critics who were told it was a psychological thriller had significantly more positive attitudes toward it in their reviews than those who were told it was a horror?

Did you know in some places they showed The Silence of the Lambs describing it as a "horror" to critics and in other places they showed it describing it as a "psychological thriller" to critics. On average, the critics who were told it was a psychological thriller had significantly more positive attitudes toward it in their reviews than those who were told it was a horror?

I didn't know that, but am not surprised in the least. You're dead on regarding critics being biased against horror :\ I kinda hope 'averages' on imdb (like rotten tomatoes) are more general public than real critics, as real critics have minimal connection to what real people like, IME.

Status
Not open for further replies.