Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arkansas (2020). Only just come out here on Netflix but I see it's not exactly new i.e. apparently released in April 2020 or thereabouts in the civilized (using that word in the broadest sense possible) world!

Not something I'd usually post about as I'm not really big into movies really (only a few cult classics) but for some reason this little movie sort of did it for me. At least to the point where I figured it was worth giving it a punt (I searched all of these forums before posting and it's not been mentioned once) (and given that it's about two low-level drug dealers and their antics I figured it'd be a bit more popular around these parts).

Hilarious in parts. An easy watch. Almost "cute" really. Although there's something about it that makes it great in my opinion. Could be it's sort of "old school" i.e. no dramatic CGI scenes and the like nor some unbelievable and far fetched plot. Could be it's the Southern "flavor". Could be the jumping back to the '80's now and then. Dunno. Just, well, nice, and good in my opinion.

Didn't seem to get many rave reviews though to be honest. Certainly not deserving of the very bad reviews it got though.

The Lady from Shanghai (1947)

I immensely enjoyed this Orson Welles film. This is probably one of the most avant-garde films I've seen in 40s American cinema (admittedly not one of my most knowledgeable areas). The wife and I both had a great time trying to keep up, the acting was superb, this like... put Christopher Nolan's films to shame and makes him look like a cheap copy cat in retrospect.

Watch it for yourself. It's somethin' else. A film I'd recommend anyone to see at least once before they die.

8/10

Blake Edwards' 1987 Blind Date
Bruce Willis work some bullshit corporate job and is invited to an important dinner by his boss and needs to bring a date. With the help of his brother (Phil Hartman!) he finds one in Kim Basinger, with the caveat that she cannot drink alcohol or bad things might happen-and of course they do. Makes for some pretty good slapstick the likes of which we rarely see nowadays, such as Basinger's obsessive ex who keeps crashing his car through various specialty stores. Also hilarious is the imitation HR Giger art exhibit they visit early on. The last segment drags a bit, but overall I had a good time.

I Love You, Daddy (2017 / Louis CK)

I get that not everybody is going to like this film. It is pretentious and disturbing, but if you like CK's other arthouse stuff (Louie / Horace & Pete) you will enjoy it.

Louis CK isn't a great actor, but there's something about his performances that I find refreshing. He doesn't do cartwheels. He doesn't try to impress you with his acting chops. This makes his characters more raw and real, even though often I can "see him acting".

John Malkovich and Edie Falco are phenomenal.

The film has some weird stylistic choices that I really liked. It is shot entirely in black and white 35mm and (despite existing in the modern world) it replicates aspects of 1950s cinema. The hair and makeup - particularly CK's fictional daughter China - looks like it belongs in another era. Also the music is reminiscent of films from yesteryear. All of these stylistic decisions work in the films favour.

I Love You, Daddy is like a mix between Lolita and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

This is CK's second film, but I'd rather forget about Pootie Tang and I'm sure he would too. Hopefully we see another film from Louis CK. Unfortunately, cancel culture has made him disappear off the face of the planet for a while. I, for one, miss him.

On the Rocks (2020 / Sofia Coppola)

I'm not a big fan of Sofia Coppola. Because of who her father is, she has access to high tier actors and cinematographers, etc. I liked Lost in Translation, but I thought it was massively over-rated... I haven't seen a film of hers since 2010's Somewhere except for A Very Murray Christmas which was dull and disappointing.

On the Rocks relies heavily on Bill Murray's screen presence. Unfortunately, there's not enough meat in the script for him to shine. It is supposed to be a comedy, but it's not funny. It is supposed to be a drama, but I don't care about the protagonist or the plot.

The pace (as usual with Coppola) is like an opioid snail.

This isn't a terrible movie, but it pales in comparison to Lost in Translation. There is a lot of awful dialogue about men and women and relationships. The ending is predictable. The film seriously lacks subtlety... but I'm willing to slog through all of that for a little bit more of Bill Murray. I'd prefer it if it wasn't an old Murray hitting on young women throughout most of the film, but I'll take what I can get.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of Sofia Coppola. Because of who her father is, she has access to high tier actors and cinematographers, etc. I liked Lost in Translation, but I thought it was massively over-rated...
Did you like The Virgin Suicides? That's her only film I've seen and liked thus far.

I Love You, Daddy is like a mix between Lolita and Curb Your Enthusiasm.
I'm not entirely sure I can picture what this is supposed to express lol.

Right so that film was boring and was disappointed as it looked good. Now onto one of my favourite Hellraiser films. Other ones are Bloodline and Hellseeker. First is the best of course. Anyway here’s the trailer:

So, I watch two movies last night. One very bad and one above average.

Return to Sender (2015)

Rosamund Pike is a nurse with a somewhat weird personality (did she have OCD?). She is raped during an afternoon by a stranger in her house. She develops a "curious bond" with the guy when he is incarcerated. I don't know if I'm revealing too much already, but the movie is a turd mess. It feels rushed, wtf ending, poorly edited, poorly directed, not even an intriguing performance by Rosamund Pike (beautiful as always) a la Gone Girl, save this movie that seemed to have something interesting to tell (Stockholm rape syndrome?) but it's just horseshit . 2.5 / 10 (just for the Pike performance and cause I love Nick Nolte)

Just Mercy (2019)

The Creed boy is a Harvard lawyer who together with Captain Marvel are looking for cases where there are inmates who didn't have a fair trial and are awaiting on the death penalty row. They go to the deep-south and know of the case of Walter McMillian (great Jammie Foxx) sentenced to death for a crime with too "light" evidence.
I must say that this movie quite surprised me. When I watch the cover I thought it would be your typical death penalty movie, but it has a lot of "feel" without being cliché or corny. The one who shines definitely is Jamie Foxx and the actor who plays Herb. I'm hard to make cry, but I did shed tears with a couple of scenes (especially one involving Herb). A whole and strong case against the death penalty. 8 / 10

13 Sins (2014)
13_Sins-512636874-large.jpg

I don't know if this movie was a horror movie or a black comedy, but if it's very entertaining for a Saturday movie night.
Would you eat a fly for $ 6,000? Hahaha :LOL:
7/10

Hadn't seen that yet. I've been eyeing the original 13: Game of Death (Beloved), a Thai film from 2006. Perhaps I can catch the original, then remake. Looks interesting.

Ok, so made it through the original (2006), found it lacking somewhat. Props for a novel concept (I'm not aware of an earlier version or use of the plot), but it definitely showed it's age and second world production. Something about the lead kept me drawn in, like I knew him from something else (didn't bother to check his filmography), and I kept wanting to see the next task or level of the game. Unfortunately, some of the tasks got skipped visually (referenced when he was speaking with police), despite being easy to pull off in a non-CGI movie. Granted, some of the tasks were quite entertaining = hauling a dead body from a well, or the clothesline scene. But the escalation in difficulty didn't quite flow, nor did it match real well with the anxiety of our lead character. And, towards the end we have two semi-twists that didn't sit all that well with me.

That they allowed the girl into their inner world simply didn't make sense. The only point was so they could have an explanation given to the audience thru her as to the who and why. And while that's needed, it was a weak way to do it. Moreover, that reveal didn't carry a lot of weight with what appeared to be some billionaire teenage kid giving it :\

Also, the final challenge, to have his opponent put up a fight to be declared winner? C'mon, there was never any indication there was another player, unless I missed it. Moreover, the quick way the ending played out was quite disappointing, in that I was rooting for our lead to finish things out, to see if he was truly rewarded or not. Instead, they chose to have him wrestle with his humanity = I know that was the purpose of the whole film, but it just didn't work for me in this instance.

I'll give this a 4/10 for originality, some humor, and a few good challenge scenes.

= = = == =

And, watched the 2014 remake supersonic89 refers to. Was hoping nearly a decade, and a US production, would invigorate it, step it up a few notches, and really make it worthwhile. 25min into it I paused, and didn't bother to come back until a day or two later. It was THAT good. :| The lead actor is almost familiar (I watch a lot crap and B movies...he's not memorable), his girlfriend is very familiar but unnameable, his father is a common old man actor you'll recognize. Throw in Ron Perlman whom I have an affection for but who doesn't really care big roles (his is minor, and overall meh) and another actor they bring in for the third act (can't name him, but you'll recognize him, I liked him best in Identity and an X-files episode = Pruitt Taylor Vince). Bottom line = not an all star cast, not really a star cast, but not completely unknown. This helps some. The writing had me disappointed for the first half, no real step up in challenges, but they did lay this as an iteration in a series of games played for a century at least. This breaks it from a stand alone, doesn't necessarily tie it to a sequel of the '06 one, and leaves the door open for others (possible, not likely, certainly not advised). However, the second half DOES step things up a bit. Plotline swaps out drowned body in the well for something more appropriate, doubles down on the clothesline scene, and spends the third act bringing you and the lead up to speed on a competitor in the game. I didn't really see it coming, but I was guessing along the way (and it wasn't a complete surprise). There are a few quick twists at the end (knew what was coming with Perlman because I'd seen the '06 version, but liked what he did with the guy who got 'in the know'). Once we understand who the competitor is, and the two face off in a final challenge, even THAT brings a small and appreciated twist. I'll give props for the writing improving things a bit. Final verdict = 5.5/10

Bloodshot (2020)

Vin Diesel picks up the latest iteration of "great warrior dies, brought back by technology, seeks to address his past". I've been itching for a good action film, and I have found one I can recommend. Yes, it give the first 20-30min of the same old story, and then someone paid the right people to write a story that's a bit different. It takes off with a few wrinkles to the story line, a core of good central characters starting with Guy Pearce as your asshole professional's villain. He's got 3 other 'enhanced' minions who have slight role twists as we move into the second act, but Vin is the center of attention for sure. Sprinkle in a techie for the bad guys, and later a techie for the good guys, and you have a few openings for funny lines that don't go wasted. CGI is spot on, makes the big fight scene at the end well worth it, never seems over the top but perfectly in tune with the story (and, with an ironic tone, truly in line with the plot). Needed a film like this, glad I watched it. Def recommend for the action lovers looking for something meaty. Now, don't expect much more than a Vin D action film, and you'll be slightly impressed with how they executed it ;) 8/10.

The New Mutants (2020)

Marvel based, though I knew nothing of them. For a Marvel fanboy...98% disappointment. 5 teens are in some remote abandoned school turned hospital (prison) with a doctor overseeing their therapy to come to terms with their mutant powers. We focus on a central character, young teen girl who had her entire Cherokee tribe wiped out and she was the lone survivor and has no idea to her power. Biggest plus of the film is Anya Taylor-Joy from our lead of Queens Gambit, here she plays a Russian teen with magical powers and a totally bitchy attitude. Second best cameo is a young man who can blast off, but has no control (Charlie Heaton, the dorky teen friend Jonathan Byers from Stranger Things). The others are a rich Brazillian boy who won't talk about his power, and a young British girl accused of being a witch. It turns that each of these players has killed someone, that's when their power was discovered and they were brought here. Over the course of the film, they are tormented by their history coming alive after them, and this attack by their fears is central to the storyline. The ending has a semi-cool climax fight, even if it is propped up by budget and special effects, as the story and characters themselves feel hollow and very meh. I can't recommend for Marvel fans, nor for teens (it really has nothing for them beyond a guy-girl kiss, and a girl-girl kiss), nor really for anyone. Someone's pet project got made under the Marvel name and budget, and they should be ashamed. 4/10.

13 Tzameti I didn't know of, but have seen the remake 13 (2010) with Mickey Rourke (not Jason Statham, but yes on Ray W). Also an interesting flick, perhaps I'll catch the original on this one as well.

Caught the original 13 Tzameti (2005), shot in b&w and has a very noir feel to it throughout. Very slow at the beginning as we watch a roof handyman at work on some old house near a beach. Times are tough at home, they are struggling to pay bills, he lives with what appears to be mom, dad, older brother, and he's 22 himself. One day the man of the house he is repairing returns home stumbling on the beach, the wife-daughter (?) gets Mr. Handy to help him in. Mr. Handy gets back to work and overhears some conversations he shouldn't that in effect say the man is waiting on a letter that will bring him a well paying job. Unfortunately, the man ODs on morphine and the letter ends up with Mr. Handy. He doesn't have any idea of the job, but he needs the money and isn't getting paid for the roofing now. So, he uses the train ticket enclosed and goes to check it out. I don't want to spoil the plot but he gets in with some really bad guys, way in over his head; meanwhile we get scenes of police that were following the intended letter recipient and are now trailing Mr. Handy. I'll stop there, let you watch if you wish. Net effect, once we enter the second act you begin to feel the weight of the film. I realized part way through, I don't think there was a soundtrack at all, despite being a 2005 production it looks and feels very 1940s-ish. The version I watched was original French with English subs, it worked pretty well. There's a little bit of twist at the end, trying to get out alive, which I thought was carried out pretty well. I got sick feeling then that I'd already seen the film until I realized the 2010 remake didn't stray and that's what I was recalling. I'd recommend this one over the remake, though neither is all that bad. 6.5/10

Payday (1972)

Rip Torn plays a touring country musician who's an arrogant scumbag and whose life is an absolute mess. His band resents him, there's the threat of a summons being served to him at any point; he treats his wife like dogshit, drops by his mom's house to give her pep pills, has a weird beef with a small-town radio DJ, can't remember his kid's birthday, etc. Kind of pointless to elaborate further as it would spoil the fun. It's amazing.

Director Daryl Duke later made The Silent Partner, which is also excellent.

Payday (1972)

Rip Torn plays a touring country musician who's an arrogant scumbag and whose life is an absolute mess. His band resents him, there's the threat of a summons being served to him at any point; he treats his wife like dogshit, drops by his mom's house to give her pep pills, has a weird beef with a small-town radio DJ, can't remember his kid's birthday, etc. Kind of pointless to elaborate further as it would spoil the fun. It's amazing.

Apparently its available, in full on youtube:

Can't imagine ill actually get through it (though only one way to find out)...

Bloodshot (2020)

Vin Diesel picks up the latest iteration of "great warrior dies, brought back by technology, seeks to address his past". I've been itching for a good action film, and I have found one I can recommend. Yes, it give the first 20-30min of the same old story, and then someone paid the right people to write a story that's a bit different. It takes off with a few wrinkles to the story line, a core of good central characters starting with Guy Pearce as your asshole professional's villain. He's got 3 other 'enhanced' minions who have slight role twists as we move into the second act, but Vin is the center of attention for sure. Sprinkle in a techie for the bad guys, and later a techie for the good guys, and you have a few openings for funny lines that don't go wasted. CGI is spot on, makes the big fight scene at the end well worth it, never seems over the top but perfectly in tune with the story (and, with an ironic tone, truly in line with the plot). Needed a film like this, glad I watched it. Def recommend for the action lovers looking for something meaty. Now, don't expect much more than a Vin D action film, and you'll be slightly impressed with how they executed it ;) 8/10.

I just finished it cause the beautiful girl. :ROFLMAO:

eiza-gonz-lez-en-bloodshot.jpg

Caught the original 13 Tzameti (2005), shot in b&w and has a very noir feel to it throughout. Very slow at the beginning as we watch a roof handyman at work on some old house near a beach. Times are tough at home, they are struggling to pay bills, he lives with what appears to be mom, dad, older brother, and he's 22 himself. One day the man of the house he is repairing returns home stumbling on the beach, the wife-daughter (?) gets Mr. Handy to help him in. Mr. Handy gets back to work and overhears some conversations he shouldn't that in effect say the man is waiting on a letter that will bring him a well paying job. Unfortunately, the man ODs on morphine and the letter ends up with Mr. Handy. He doesn't have any idea of the job, but he needs the money and isn't getting paid for the roofing now. So, he uses the train ticket enclosed and goes to check it out. I don't want to spoil the plot but he gets in with some really bad guys, way in over his head; meanwhile we get scenes of police that were following the intended letter recipient and are now trailing Mr. Handy. I'll stop there, let you watch if you wish. Net effect, once we enter the second act you begin to feel the weight of the film. I realized part way through, I don't think there was a soundtrack at all, despite being a 2005 production it looks and feels very 1940s-ish. The version I watched was original French with English subs, it worked pretty well. There's a little bit of twist at the end, trying to get out alive, which I thought was carried out pretty well. I got sick feeling then that I'd already seen the film until I realized the 2010 remake didn't stray and that's what I was recalling. I'd recommend this one over the remake, though neither is all that bad. 6.5/10

Personally, I like the French one a lot, although I saw it a century ago and I like it much better than the remake. Too bad you didn't see the original first.
The only positive of the remake is the appearance of Michael Shannon. :love:

Last night was movie night (and tramadol) and the two I watch were not bad at all:

Chef (2014)

Nice movie about a chef who loses his job and dignity, so he must start from scratch with a food truck and take advantage of fixing his relationship with his son. I had already watched this movie in 2015 and I think I liked it a lot more this time. Several scenes gave a good laughs (and one especially kill me myself laughter. I even spit out the coffee I was drinking :ROFLMAO:) , there are good cameos (R.D.J. for example) and it is very entertaining. The only bad thing is maybe you get a little hungry to watch so much food. Great soundtrack as well. 8/10

Cherry (2010)

Wow. I can only say that. This one really surprised me. I thought it would be your typical teenage uni movie but it's more than that. A virgin boy befriends a college classmate who is much older than him and has a teenage daughter. A friendship / love triangle develops between the three. Act this Brit Robertson girl who I like a lot but who has been lost between series of dubious quality and cheap horror movies. Such a shame. 7.5/10

As you can see, I am not very picky about movies. :love:

Payday (1972)

Wow. This film sounds very interesting. Also the director I had never heard of (and I feel that I have a lot of knowledge of directors or films). Good contribution friend. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.