Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project Power was so damn good. Didn’t think it would be as good as it was. It’s nearly 2 hours but it flies in as there’s constant action and quite an interesting story.

Watched it recently as well. Decent film. I'm still trying to understand Foxx's ambition, given he hit it out of the park with Ray (Charles) and this feels like him just having a bit of fun. The story itself though, good and worth the watch, IMO.

Wish I Was Here (2014) <Netfilx>

Written by Zach & Adam Braff, Directed by Zach, Starring Zach...but it's decent. You'll recognize him, and his wife, and the grandpa...but that may be it.

Central character is a father figure in California named Aidan Bloom. A struggling actor, married to an office working wife (Kate Hudson), with two kids (daughter about 12, son about 8). The main story pivots around him coming to terms with his life, a moment brought on by his father being diagnosed with late stage cancer. Grandpa was funding the kids' private Jewish school and no longer can as his funds will go for treatment. So, Aidan is confronted by his wife to send them to public school (he is scarred from his experience and can't allow it) or start home schooling = at least, that's the line they advertise with. There's more dynamics with the wife hating her job, but doing it to support the family and his 'dream' of acting that isn't going well at all. Wrap in Aidan's brother who hasn't talked to their dad in a year due to father-brother each believing the other hates them while Aidan plays middle man. There ya go, that's pretty much the story. Now, the delivery, is better than the train wreck I described. The writing has a lot of really good humor in it, particularly lines given to the kids (young son asks if they are going to bury grandpa in the yard with Whiskers); and a lot of Jewish references which plays quite well regardless of your beliefs. There's also a lot of good emotion in it as we see the husband(dreamer)-wife(fed up supporting), grandfather-son-brother, and even the wife-grandpa dynamics play out towards grandpa's eventual demise. Along the way, the kids are aware, but not bludgeoned with the situation. All in all, not a bad date film if you don't mind a sobbing partner at the end.

I just rewatched "The Rock" (1996) starring Nicolas Cage, Sean Connery and Ed Harris. It's really easy to see why big blockbuster type action movies like this springboarded a director like Michael Bay to the ultra big leagues. It's a silly movie, but you can't help but get a little pumped. It's about a group of renegade marines that steal some chemical weapons and take over the Alcatraz prison complex to blackmail reparations out of the US government (for fallen soldiers involved in Black Ops). Nicolas Cage, Sean Connery and a Seal Team are dispatched to neutralize the threat. That's it. That's the whole plot, but you don't watch a movie like this for the plot. The cheesy one-liners like "You're the rocket!" and "I'd take pleasure in guttin you, boy" just add to the charm. The action is, in typical Michael Bay fashion, completely over the top and really is show stopping. I think the casting was good for this kind of cheese-fest and the film's score is instantly recognizable with Ed Harris' performance of particular note. It's a total guilty pleasure movie, just like Con Air. It doesn't take itself to seriously, but it is a fun romp. 6.5/10

I loved this movie when I was a kid. Thought it was badass. Rewatched it as an adult after living in SF/bay and going to alcatraz (the rock) a few times I just had to laugh at how ridiculous this movie is. Somehow that trailer makes it look even more ridiculous. It's almost hard to take Nicolas Cage and Sean Connery serious during the film, like they almost wanted to make it a comedy. Definitely cheesy in a way and the plot is kinda a stretch but it's still a classic 90s action movie. Almost want to watch it again now.

"Alcatraz has been ripped up and changed for years. Underneath there is a maze of shit".... yeah... no it was built once, on a fucking rock in the middle of a huge ocean bay. Why the fuck would there be tunnels down there? It's a TINY island. Oh well, I get too cynical when watching movies. sigh

Last edited:
"The Girl With All The Gifts"

Definitely a unique addition to the zombie canon. Very different from the vast majority of zombie films. I liked the movie overall, but, as with most movies in this genre, it didn't do a good job of explaining the origins of the fungus that created the "hungries" and the "abortions". The ending is fitting and almost poetic. Recommended if you enjoy thoughtful horror movies. 7/10.

Project Power was so damn good. Didn’t think it would be as good as it was. It’s nearly 2 hours but it flies in as there’s constant action and quite an interesting story.

Yeah, I just watched it, thought it was pretty decent. A lot better than I expected too. I really like the animal angle, I thought that was pretty sweet. I felt like they could've given the bad guys more character development though, they just kinda felt like your generic bad guys. Maybe I'm nitpicking though.

Last edited:

I really fucking love this movie. Probably 4th time I've watched it. Makes me want to get really coked up and put on an eye patch for some reason

The original (Escape from New York) was better imo, but I enjoy almost all John Carpenter movies anyways. My wife and I watched Assault on Precinct 13 on our first date and have been fans of his shitty films ever since. I love how he has a hand in the bland yet apt soundtracks usually lol.

The original (Escape from New York) was better imo, but I enjoy almost all John Carpenter movies anyways. My wife and I watched Assault on Precinct 13 on our first date and have been fans of his shitty films ever since.

Esc from NY was great, but perhaps my fav from that era-group-genre-whatever was Big Trouble in Little China. Pure awesome fiction with a light covering of cheese. So wish they would have made a sequel. I heard The Rock is working on a sequel (since 2018) so we'll have to see if it happens, and how true to form it might be. Damn, I need to go back and watch that one again.

Never saw Precinct 13. I may have to go check that out.

Actually a pretty decent horror I watched last night. One of those if you miss a few mins you’re screwed with the story type films.

@ghostfreak

The thing about horror movies nowadays it's that they would work in a short-film because most concepts are great but ''horrorish'' executed. Same goes for adaptations, how they murdered like 10 Stephen King's movies with their design. Team Silent should come back and show people what horror movies are about. I still wait for that SH movie.

I watched "Dark City" (1998 ) and it was pretty decent, although some of the CGI is obviously quite dated at this point. It was kind of a strange mix between a 50s Noir film, the film Inception, The Matrix and maybe a dash of Total Recall. It's essentially a sinister sci-fi noir film. I thought it was really quite original and I'm surprised that I hadn't heard of it until recently. It mostly kept me invested throughout and I was definitely trying to figure out what was going on for quite some time (though I did guess the ending about thirty minutes before the final scene). It offers an interesting perspective on dreams, memory, free will, our humanity etc. There was also some strong use of iconography. One mistake though, as much as I crush on her, was having Jennifer Connolly play a lounge singer, she just... can't sing really. I'd recommend giving it a shot, but only if you're willing to be a little bit forgiving about the special effects (both Fight Club and The Matrix came out a year later and those are films that have aged more gracefully). I reckon a 7.5/10

One mistake though, as much as I crush on her, was having Jennifer Connolly play a lounge singer, she just... can't sing really
I wasn't sure if her bad singing was intentional.. because she wasn't actually a lounge singer, she was just injected with false memories that had her believing she was a lounge singer, so of course she couldn't actually sing.

I definitely got the matrix feel from this film - I believe Dark City was kind of a prototype to the Matrix. I think it also had a bit of a requiem for a dream feel to it as well, maybe from the characters or the accents.

I actually think the FX hold up quite well. The city morphing and twisting into different structures looks pretty badass still IMO.

Sleeep

I wasn't sure if her bad singing was intentional.. because she wasn't actually a lounge singer, she was just injected with false memories that had her believing she was a lounge singer, so of course she couldn't actually sing.

I definitely got the matrix feel from this film - I believe Dark City was kind of a prototype to the Matrix. I think it also had a bit of a requiem for a dream feel to it as well, maybe from the characters or the accents.

I actually think the FX hold up quite well. The city morphing and twisting into different structures looks pretty badass still IMO.

Sleeep

I'm not sure the logic follows with Jennifer as a lounge singer being deliberately bad, otherwise everyone in Dark City would just inexplicably suck at what they do. I think it was just a bad choice in trying to cram it into more of a noir-y feel, but hey, that's my opinion. I definitely think you're right about it being sort of a Matrix prototype though and you could see how it likely influenced the Wachowskis. I enjoyed the film and I agree that the FX are quite good, with the exception of some of the end bits. The "cuing" force stuff coming out of their heads is really bad compared to today's standards. Again, maybe I'm being too harsh and it would definitely hit you differently in 1998 as opposed to 2020. Overall, good film though.

Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Alright creature feature, doesn't arrive until near the end unfortunately but good use of being lost on English roads and lanes :p

Sex After Kids (2013)

Indie film, and it shows. I can't even give you a storyline or plot....it's just following about 8-9 people through their relationships and reconnecting with others as they deal with life after having kids. Some are single, we have a gay couple and a mixed couple and a pair of grandparents. Some have some relatable issues, but at the get-go if you do not have kids you will NOT like this movie. If you DO have kids, there are plenty of laughable moments; however there isn't a lot of flow to the film as you jump from one set of people to another to another and back again. They do interweave, but we started off with a 10min scene that felt like it was dragging and wasn't going anywhere. Some foul language, no real sex (cinemax level of fakery for a bit), but overall a step below meh. Cannot recommend, even if you have kids and nothing to do with 90min of your life (is that even possible?). 3/10.

Only watching this now lol, not sure if I've seen it years ago but it was a decent thriller and Marky Mark makes a good bad guy. Downside is the dog scene but we'll not go into that. Overall pretty good!

Just rewatched Cannibal Holocaust (1980) (the completely uncut version) - I actually only rate it 4 stars instead of 4.5 or even 5 due to the (VERY REAL) animal cruelty/torture. I think by now everyone know that every scene of animal abuse/torture in the movie was really done to actual animals. This movie is actually the reason that - way back when - I started using torrent sites. I wanted to see the movie so much but I REFUSED to let the creators of this movie get a single penny from me because of the aforementioned reasons.
In the UK "uncut" version, they still have those animal scenes removed because they are so not okay.
All that aside I think it's a great movie and those animal scenes do (unfortunately) make the human torture and death seem all that more real.
Maybe just because this was the first of all of the 70's and early 80's cannibal subgenre movies that I saw but I think this is my favourite.
For anyone else who really liked this movie I'd recommend: Cannibal Ferox, Ultimo Mondo Cannibale and Mountain of the Cannibal God.

Status
Not open for further replies.