Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time Trap (2017) <Netflix>

So, I was due for a stupid movie, and one who has a description of "A professor goes in a cave and gets trapped, his students look for him and do the same" sounds like the perfect candidate. I'd put the production quality at or near SciFi channel material, the acting and execution is about the same, but the writing brings this up a notch or two. To elaborate on the plot, the cave is actually where the Fountain of Youth is hiding, several layers deep. Within each layer, time slows down further. So, as we focus on the students looking for their Prof we get to the realization that when in the cave, they can look out and the sky is flashing light and dark (the quickly surmise days are passing above as seconds to them below). Throw in some cavemen to add some baddies even though they are trapped and lost in time like everyone else, glow sticks everywhere, a dead cowboy so we can bring a gun into play for no reason, and an alien from the future because ALIENS!, and you've got a good time, amirite? I like one of the other comments on IMDB to the effect of 'You ever like the telling of a story, but keep yelling at characters you can't care for?" Pretty accurate. The end wraps up quick with a pretty good twist, albeit predictable, and as it switches to credits you realize "WTF? The delivery on the ending was empty", meaning the story took it's next logical step (not setting up for a sequel), but didn't answer a ton of questions about the film. This, coming from ME who often just goes for the escape. 6/10.

Yeah, it was ok to watch once, there were a few things that seemed slightly original, particularly the time-based aspects, but I'd not do so again. Not a patch on The Descent, from which half the ideas realistically seem to have been stolen.

6/10

I watched Thelma and Louise the other night with the wife. Now I see why it's such a classic. I was shocked to see Ridley Scott's name in the opening credits lol, had no idea. He's done some quite diverse films over the years.

Anyways, it was a good movie, Susan Sarandon really stole the show though. I always love seeing her in anything but it was like she was born to fill the role of Louise.

Not much to say, but it's definitely worth a watch. Highly recommended. On Prime right now as far as I know.

8/10

Yeah it's a classic for sure, lots of layers going on in the film. Saw it many times when it first came out in the 90s.

8/10

The Bone Box (2020)

Basically this is about a grave robber who starts having visions of malevolent spirits. He becomes paranoid that it might be related to the robberies and the plot unfolds from there

Not bad at all but like any horror film it's difficult to follow. I don't know how to rate this but the acting is good so there's that to consider it watchable

Reactions: CFC
Rewatched Jeepers Creepers (2001) - 4 stars - Pretty effective horror movie. Everyone knows the plot by now, right? Good enough that the titular song still gives me the creeps 19 years later.

TQ:
[Darry climbs in to the entrance to a steep slide-like sewer pipe that leads to where they just saw The Creeper dump a bloody dead body]
Trish: You know that part in horror movies where somebody does something really stupid and everybody hates them for it? This is it.

Jeepers creepers, where'd you get those peeper?
Oh those weepers, how they hypnotise

Long weekend, decided to revisit my Marvel love and run thru the entire MCU playlist in the order of occurrence (as opposed to release). Made it thru:

Cap Amer - solid start to the franchise
Cap Marvel - Shows the polish of being a more recent release
Iron Man - classic, holds up well enough
Iron Man 2 - still good, but a little shaky as a follow up
Incredible Hulk << Love Ed Norton, and Liv Tyler is easy on the eyes, but this was Soooo forgettable.
Avengers (half way thru now) ...

That's as far as I got, and I generally have covered those so I won't do so again. I just wished to comment that I stalled out after the second-third movie needing a break. I went back to The Last Airbender (M. Night Shyamalan, 2011). I'd seen it once before, but felt like I wanted something like that again. I remember the colors, and general feel of the film, though I'll admit the whole concept came after my time so I had no background or connection to the characters or story, so no real expectations the first time thru or now again. I actually stopped after 30-45min. I stopped! It's rare I hate an experience enough to do so, but the acting was so bad throughout, and the magical sense of the world was not enough to overcome the comic book presentation on the big screen with special effects. Bottom line, I couldn't manage to finish this time, and it brought back the sense of disappointment from the first watching years ago. Cannot recommend to anyone. Ever. 2/10 (would be a 1/10 but there was some budget for special effects).

Zombieworld, Zombieworld 2, Zombieworld 3

I appreciate horror films, but I sometimes wish they had continuity. Having said that, the first movie is excellent. The last two are kind of an afterthought and have none of the same characters. They're basically a repeat of the same plot with different people

They're all good and they're well-made but it's hard to relate to the characters, at least in the third movie. It's just interesting with nothing unexpected showing up. Overall they're good, but not impressive

I'd say 10/10 for quality alone since that's what it's all about nowadays, but for substance probably a 7

I just watched the latest Star Wars movie. I didn't really rate the Force Awakens or the Last Jedi, and only watched The Rise of Skywalker because I was bored. Surprisingly, given the poor reviews, I really enjoyed it. Felt like a proper Star Wars movie.

Cobra Verde

I really enjoyed Fitzcarelldo, and on this assumed that any of the Herzog/Kinski collaborations would be great. I was kinda off on this one.

My main issue with the film was the fact that Amazon Prime only has an English dubbed version available (disgusting) instead of German with subtitles, so that was difficult to get past. But even then, the film's editing was weird, scenes were choppy, the plot almost nonexistent.

Essentially, a bandit in Brazil is sent by his government (in the hopes he never returns) to sort out an old Portuguese fort in Africa and get the slave trade moving again. Then slavery falls apart across the entire world (save for the U.S. of course) and it was all for nothing. Classic Herzog style, Kinski doesn't disappoint... but I just couldn't enjoy the film overall.

If you like Herzog and feel like being a completionist it might be worth renting/buying the DVD so you can watch it in German with subtitles. As it stands, the dubbed version on Prime was hard to finish.

6/10

The new Childs Play movie. It wasn't scary but it was thoroughly entertaining all the way through. A pretty typical slasher flick. I like that they changed the story from the original.

Agreed 100%. I didn't have very high hopes for it, but it was on Epix and nothing else was on. I found it stupid, but funnier than any horror movie I've seen in a long time.

"Quarantine 2: Terminal"

I really enjoyed the original Quarantine, but the sequel leaves basically everything to be desired. 1.5/5.

Edit: added trailer: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...CMAJ6BAgDEAQ&usg=AOvVaw2LLLrkwSRGMuwnM8QXR-4_

The premise is that the terrorist biologist from the original Quarantine brings his "super-rabies" infected rats into an airplane, claiming that they're hamsters. A passenger is bitten by a rat, and the expected mayhem ensues. The plane is told to return to the terminal so the ill, violent passenger can receive immediate medical attention. Once the plane returns to the airport, the terminal it docks with is quarantined by federal authorities and the virus spreads among those trapped in the terminal, as one would expect after seeing the original. The only big differences in the films are the setting and the sequel has a single survivor.

Don't waste your time unless you're *Really, Really bored* or in the mood for a cinematic abomination.

• Haha
Artemis Fowl (2020) <Disney+>

Based on a series of early teen books with a central character of Artemis Fowl (Jr.) as a 12y old super genius. I'd never read the stories, so I didn't know what to expect, and I'm ok heading into movies like that. We start off with a few scenes that establish the kid's intellect, and that he lives alone with his father (Colin Farrell, only recognizable face in the film besides an old lady), and his father is often away on 'business'. There is a bodyguard 'Dom' as well. Story is set in Ireland, father has a huge estate the son lives in, and it has the rumblings that dad is a collector of rare things. Plot hinges on dad teaching his son anything and everything about faeries and the like, with a strong push to believe. Then one day, dad is abducted and son gets a mysterious call to find some ancient artifact his dad had supposedly stolen. The regular world then has a media eruption that his dad is a master thief, which the son and bodyguard won't believe but they DO begin searching the house to find the artifact to trade for his father. Along the way, the son come to believe in faeries, and attempts to capture one to help him retrieve the artifact. That's as much plot as I will spoil, the summary of the film is the boy is often 3 steps ahead of everyone, including the faeries, the real world authorities, the other mythical creatures (dwarf, goblin, troll, etc). We have a heavy dose of imaginary creatures throughout to flesh out the cast, provide friendship and some inter-character backstories and relationships; a decent amount of CGI effects (a failing time freeze bubble is interesting) and it all wraps up with a nice bow and an opening for sequels (remember, this was 8 books). Upside? Kids aged 6-12 might like it. Adults might have 1-2 laughs at most. Downside? If you read the books, they didn't find the dad until book 3, so there's a lot of Hollywood creative liberty taken to translate the book to film. I'm told it is not even close to the books. Adults might have 1-2 laughs at most. Ok film if you need to watch with some kids, otherwise skip it and any sequels they decide to make. 5/10.

A Field in England (2013)

This movie is hard to describe. To call it a period piece would be as off as calling The Lighthouse (2019) a period piece; rather, the film is more about the characters and the 'trip' so to speak, and shot in black and white.

For being shot in such a limited fashion and with only the five actors, it's really quite the achievement of a film imo. Four guys wander off from an English Civil War battle and into a field filled with mushies and begin a long strange trip down a serious ass rabbit hole. Don't know how else to put it heheh.

I really enjoyed it. Some people likely wouldn't... I loved The Lighthouse, but those I recommended it to didn't. You'll just have to watch this one to find out if it's for you. I was mouth-agape the last half hour, and to me, that's what makes a good film sometimes; when I'm slack jawed from shock lol.

7/10

Last edited:
Aguirre, The Wrath of God (1972)

Another Herzog/Kinski collaboration, one of the earlier ones. I very much enjoyed this film, albeit the themes were dark. Popol Vuh did an amazing job with the soundtrack. Again, classic Herzog style, and this time Prime had the original German dialogue with English subs which made it much more palatable than Cobra Verde.

Herzog films I've seen tend to be historical docu-fiction so-to-speak, and this one did an amazing job with it, much like Fitzcarelldo.

Hard to explain the plot; in so many words, it's essentially about a mad conquistador in search of El Dorado in the Amazonian tributaries. Worth a watch in my book, liked it a lot more than Cobra Verde but less than Fitzcarelldo.

7.5/10

Aguirre, The Wrath of God (1972)

Another Herzog/Kinski collaboration, one of the earlier ones. I very much enjoyed this film, albeit the themes were dark. Popol Vuh did an amazing job with the soundtrack. Again, classic Herzog style, and this time Prime had the original German dialogue with English subs which made it much more palatable than Cobra Verde.

Herzog films I've seen tend to be historical docu-fiction so-to-speak, and this one did an amazing job with it, much like Fitzcarelldo.

Hard to explain the plot; in so many words, it's essentially about a mad conquistador in search of El Dorado in the Amazonian tributaries. Worth a watch in my book, liked it a lot more than Cobra Verde but less than Fitzcarelldo.

7.5/10

I've only seen Aguirre and Fitzcarelldo and loved both. Very rich.

Yesterday i watch tokoloshe

not the best movie but an interesting interpretation of the tokoloshe myth

Status
Not open for further replies.