Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I re-watched "Arrival" (2016). It's a Sci-fi film and I think it's just brilliant. I really like the intrigue side of Sci-fi and trying to figure things out (as opposed to just non-stop action) and this is very much what the film is about. I think it really is masterful in terms of making us examine language, time, unity, memory and even the human experience itself. The only thing that I thought was maybe a little off was the initial pacing; it feels like it takes a long time to really get into the thick of the plot, but also, this was my fourth time watching it, so maybe I just wanted to get to the proverbial "meat" faster. It's one of those films that you really need to pay attention to and there are so many awesome little details that make so much sense when you "get" what's going on in a massive woosh of epiphany. I rarely watch a sci-fi film four times, but this is one that I keep coming back to. I'm being deliberately vague as I don't want to spoil it, but watch it if you get the chance! 9.5/10

Last edited:
98a222eed5957360d0eb79fc4c179267_XL.jpg

I Spit On Your Grave 3 (2015)

Described as rape/revenge horror. It had a much weaker plot than the previous two films and was considerably less gory and much less 'revenge' focused. The film didn't really lead anywhere and had a pretty disappointing conclusion. Entertaining enough to watch through, but I'd not recommend unless you're particularly bored.

5/10

I Spit On Your Grave 3 (2015)

Described as rape/revenge horror. It had a much weaker plot than the previous two films and was considerably less gory and much less 'revenge' focused. The film didn't really lead anywhere and had a pretty disappointing conclusion. Entertaining enough to watch through, but I'd not recommend unless you're particularly bored.

5/10

I found it SO disappointing! Especially after the first two.
I feel like it ruined the memory of Jennifer Hills.

Reactions: CFC
MAJOR SPOILERS FOR SLEEPAWAY CAMP. PLEASE DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET.

Sleepaway Camp 2 - 5 dead campers out of 5 - Angela is back! 5 years have passed and she has now been released from a mental institution (where she was also given a sex change). This movie is very, very different in tone to the first being a comedy-horror. Angela is a councillor now at Camp Rolling Hills where she beings killing off the bad campers (and there aren't many good ones!). Fun slasher with a high body count. Mostly creative death scenes.
Top Quotes:

Angela (after stabbing Ally): Get up. Get up! Get in there! (throws Ally into the outhouse)
Angela: What's down there? Answer me!
Ally: Shit!
Angela: That right, one of your favourite words. Mind if I borrow it for a minute? You've been a shitty friend and a shitty camper. What else is down there? Answer me!
Ally: Piss!
Angela: You've pissed away your good looks and God-given talent your whole life and turned it into nothing but a cynical dirty mouth waste of flesh! What else is down there?
Ally: I dunno!
Angela: Well, then, I guess you're just going to have to climb in and find out....(drowning Ally in the toilet): Leaches, Ally! For a leach like you!
Angela: You should have been the first to go

Angela (at the end, closing the door to the abandoned cabin full of victims) Night night, Campers!

Sleepaway Camp 3 - 4 mutilated corpses - Filmed back-to-back with part 2 but set one year later. This time Angela is posing as a teenage camper at Camp New Horizons where there are 6 rich kids and 6 kids from the slums being "brought together for an "experiment in sharing and caring". Most slashers have at least a few likeable characters to root for but in this movie everybody sucks and by the 20 minutes mark, you're just waiting for Angela to kill off all these assholes. This movie suffers from being BUTCHERED by the MPAA. Most of the uncut deaths are on the DVD but as a special feature, not in the actual movie.
TQ:
Angela: Are you a cheerleader?
Cindy: Yes
Angela: Are you a virgin?
Cindy: No!
Angela: Do you use drugs?
Cindy: Doesn't everybody?
Angela: Strike three!
[later]
Cindy: Why are you doing this?!
Angela: Because you're a cheerleader, a fornicator, a drug user, a nasty racist bigot...and besides that, you're real nice!

Watched a lot of movies recently but been too depressed to write anything, but two more recent ones are as follows:

The Conversation (1974)

This one stars a lot of F.F.C.'s mainstay actors who ended up in The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, etc. and it was a fantastic film. A thriller of sorts, Gene Hackman plays a N.S.A. style freelancer spook who slowly devolves into paranoid lunacy, all over a conversation he pieces together. Great film. Would definitely give it another watch.

8/10

The Queen (2006)

Decent piece about Queen Elizabeth and how she handled the death of Princess Diana. It was a bit boring, though considering the subject matter, it was well acted and visually enjoyable. Worth a watch if you've got nothing better to do. Princess Di passed when I was fairly young so I don't have any connection to why people were even remotely upset when she died, but I still liked the film. Starring Helen Mirren and a myriad of other good English actors.

7/10

What actually fascinates me is how many people (including people born after she died) are still fixated by her and her legacy. A documentary about all that would be interesting imo.

The fascination with royalty in general is weird to me. Could be easily compared to the "famous because they're famous" reality TV types, too.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm gonna watch Fury Road again tonight, and it gets a 10/10 because it's the best movie made this century.

Frankenstein, from 1931, begins with a delightfully macabre scene in a graveyard. It's nice to see Dwight Frye return from Dracula, released almost 8 months earlier, as another crazed lunatic. Mae Clarke's delivery is a little uninspired although her appearance is enchanting as she fawns over Henry Frankenstein. Collin Clive looks like a real enemy with his jagged skull and jaunt face. He makes Henry look like a guy with believable connections with the dead. Boris Karloff is appropriately primitive and violent.

American Guinea Pig: Sacrifice (2017) - 4.5 stars - like most millennials, I have the attention span of a goldfish so am usually browsing online and talking on forums like this while watching a movie (or I'll watch a movie but pause it every 20 minutes or so to read a chapter of my book) but this kept my full attention throughout. I was rapt. It IS a pretty short movie with a runtime of 60 minutes, but it's a rarity for me to just sit and watch a movie from beginning to end like that. I really enjoyed this and it was surprisingly extreme for an American movie (it's just as brutal/gory as the original Japanese Guinea Pig series). The entire movie takes place with one character in his bathroom. He lusts for this demon goddess and he needs to perform several "sacrifices" to her to allow her to possess him. All of which involve graphic, painful self-mutilation. All of which is shown in graphic detail (including a scene where he violently "sounds" himself with a large screwdriver). I really enjoyed it, though most will probably think it goes "too far". I like that it went there and honestly some of the self-mutilation scenes are pretty hot (moans and facial expressions).
Top Quote:
David: I want to fuck her in a pool of blood until my dick explodes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Warning: Do Not Play on Shudder is a good Asian horror to check out.

Airplane (1980) - 4 stars - spoof of airplane disaster movies. Always fun and there always so many jokes going on - including very subtly in the background - that even after several viewings you can still spot new things. Seen this several times over the years and always enjoy it.
TQ's:

[Ted gets into his seat on the airplane, looking visibly anxious]
Female passenger: Nervous?
Ted: Yes
Female Passenger: First time?
Ted: No, I've been nervous lots of times

McCroskey: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking
[later]
McCroskey: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking
[later]
McCroskey: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit taking amphetamines
[later]
McCroskey: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Captain Oveur: Joey, have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Captain Oveur: Joey, do you ever hang around the gymnasium?

Captain Oveur: Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

Captain Oveur: Joey, do like movies about Gladiators?

Den of Thieves (2018 ) <NETFLIX>

Tagline is LA's tough guy sheriff unit goes up against the most successful bank robbery crew. Commercials were pretty good, and I wanted to see it. Now I have. As lead Sheriff, we have Gerald Butler who many will recognize from several films but most notably 300. He gets some side sex, some divorce, some kids being taken away, all in hopes of making him more relatable, and it works a little but not a lot. He plays the role well as an over the top cop, but the non-cop parts are kinda meh. For the bad guys, we have Pablo Schreiber whom I honestly don't know from a hole in the wall but his resume is filled with tv series (Orange is the New Black). We don't get much character work for the posse, but the bad guy crew has several good faces and their family time humanity carries much better (at least for 50 cent). We almost want them to win. The wild card is O'Shea Jackson Jr. picked up as a driver for the job, rolled by the cops, used by the crew, beat to shit by the cops. Throughout the film, the tension between lead villain and lead cop (can't say 'good guy') is palpable, and you keep feeling there's a connection somewhere, somehow, and a twist you wanna predict. I won't spoil it, but there is a twist ending (they are filming a sequel) that most won't see coming until it reveals itself, but you can start to see the pieces fall into place in the big shoot out (more bullets than needed, a foot chase, and mano-a-mano conclusion). Definitely worth the watch. 8.5/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankenstein, from 1931, begins with a delightfully macabre scene in a graveyard. It's nice to see Dwight Frye return from Dracula, released almost 8 months earlier, as another crazed lunatic. Mae Clarke's delivery is a little uninspired although her appearance is enchanting as she fawns over Henry Frankenstein. Collin Clive looks like a real enemy with his jagged skull and jaunt face. He makes Henry look like a guy with believable connections with the dead. Boris Karloff is appropriately primitive and violent.

I have had a copy of that for decades and not got around to watching it. Maybe this weekend. Thanks!

I watched "Puncture" (2011) and I'm afraid I have to say I wasn't really impressed, even though the story showed promise. It's based on the true story of an addict lawyer who goes on a crusade in order to get hospitals to use safety needles to prevent transmission of communicable diseases (transmitted by healthcare workers either accidentally getting "stuck" or needles being re-used in less developed countries). A whistle-blower story that could have been executed in a way that was more intriguing and less hackneyed feeling.

The film was really formulaic and focused way too much on the protagonist trying to play the brilliant yet flawed drug addict lawyer; who obviously has a good heart but is plagued by his addiction. It came across as forced and I was very aware that this was an actor trying to play a drug addict. It felt inauthentic and contrived (I juxtapose that with something good like the film Dallas Buyer's Club). I really was not sold and it detracted from the film for me (I have been a drug addict and I have been around them; it was way overdone and I felt myself kind of insulted by it for some reason). I wish it had focused more on the story and building that rather than showing a lawyer doing lawyer things and being brilliant while getting fucked up all the time. Oh, our flawed hero, will he beat the Goliath-like medical company and his own demons? SNORE.

Even the big "shocker" ending barely did anything for me. You could even look to other films that have done it way better (the film Erin Brockovich for instance). Ultimately, I felt cheated because I wanted it to be good and the premise itself is great and is a real and important story; somehow it managed to miss the mark. I was actually annoyed when it finished.

A very generous 4/10. Maybe watch it if you want to see Captain America (Chris Evans) try too hard at playing junkie.

I watched "Puncture" (2011) and I'm afraid I have to say I wasn't really impressed, even though the story showed promise. It's based on the true story of an addict lawyer who goes on a crusade in order to get hospitals to use safety needles to prevent transmission of communicable diseases (transmitted by healthcare workers either accidentally getting "stuck" or needles being re-used in less developed countries). A whistle-blower story that could have been executed in a way that was more intriguing and less hackneyed feeling.

The film was really formulaic and focused way too much on the protagonist trying to play the brilliant yet flawed drug addict lawyer; who obviously has a good heart but is plagued by his addiction. It came across as forced and I was very aware that this was an actor trying to play a drug addict. It felt inauthentic and contrived (I juxtapose that with something good like the film Dallas Buyer's Club). I really was not sold and it detracted from the film for me (I have been a drug addict and I have been around them; it was way overdone and I felt myself kind of insulted by it for some reason). I wish it had focused more on the story and building that rather than showing a lawyer doing lawyer things and being brilliant while getting fucked up all the time. Oh, our flawed hero, will he beat the Goliath-like medical company and his own demons? SNORE.

Even the big "shocker" ending barely did anything for me. You could even look to other films that have done it way better (the film Erin Brockovich for instance). Ultimately, I felt cheated because I wanted it to be good and the premise itself is great and is a real and important story; somehow it managed to miss the mark. I was actually annoyed when it finished.

A very generous 4/10. Maybe watch it if you want to see Captain America (Chris Evans) try too hard at playing junkie.

''Gifted'' also starred Chris Evan.

gifted-poster.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.