Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a nice setup. I'm not making any plans / changes at this point in time as my wife & I will be moving later this year. Long story short with the help of family we ended up acquiring our first home (house) not long before the whole CV situation become an issue. It needs some renovations before we move in & the work is taking longer to get started as a result of things being as they are ATM thus the delay in moving in. Sorry I'm getting off-topic; I'm just happy that hopefully things will improve for my wife & I. I plan on setting up a home entertainment room / setup in the new home though & I was planning on trying to do something somewhat similar. I've heard some good things about with going with Plex. Thanks for the recommendations. :)

That's a big step man, congrats owning your own home :)

That's a big step man, congrats owning your own home :)

Thank you! It's greatly appreciated. It is indeed a big step. It's something I'd been hoping to do for quite some time. Provide a nicer environment for my wife & the animals. My sister had been wanting me to move closer to her for a while now & she knows we've been interested. A real estate friend of hers mentioned a "great location in town but private, great investment idea" & everything just kind of fell into place from there. As luck would have it my sister who had previously been told she would have issues conceiving has gotten pregnant (she's always wanted children). So it seems like everything is really coming together family ties wise. I'm not really the type to believe in signs, omens, etc. as I'm extremely logic based but in this case I'll see it as nice coincidences & go with the flow. (y) No matter how we look at it I'm really just happy to be able to become a home owner. It's not something that my wife & I being a disabled couple on a fixed income really ever expected to attain. We definitely feel very blessed that with the help of family circumstances have afforded us the opportunity to do so. I know we'll have to deal with some things transferring section 8 to help pay the mortgage & such which we're hoping will all go well. Hopefully the renovations & the move itself will also go smoothly when the time comes. The house definitely needs quite a bit of work but considering the size & location for the price I think we did great. Though I must admit buying a house sight unseen was (& still is :LOL:) quite unnerving! :eek: Thanks again for the congrats. :)

As for the film topic I watch 'Underneath the Skin' with Scarlett Johansson. It seems like a film that people would either love or hate. With the way the film is done I doubt there would be much middle ground. Personally I wasn't particularly impressed... It felt like one of those films that tries to hard to be "arty" & just ends up coming off as a bunch of incomprehensible pretentious nonsense. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would disagree with me though. I would agree with some reviews that there were some interesting concepts & visuals. However in my personal opinion good visuals & various concepts alone do not neccesarilly make a good movie in of themselves. :\

I understood the film that wasn't an issue. After watching it I noticed that it was "based on a book" though. I'm tempted to hazard a guess that like many other films based on books this film is an example of a film that left out far to much of the book perhaps? The film just felt a bit :unsure: "empty?" to me regardless of the reason for it. I would likely sum the film up as a glorified art house style version of'Species' (IIRC the movie I'm thinking of? :unsure:). SJ gets naked in the film in between driving her van around picking up men so perhaps that might have influenced some of the glowing reviews I noticed when googling how to spell her name... =D 😜

Last edited:
El Angel Exterminador (1962) shows how dangerous unidentifiable dream-states can lurk upon the unwary and destroy everything. The director called it a failure and would have liked to have gone further into the realms of extreme evil, but we have this.

Hurricane Bianca - a category 3.5 hurricane - not great by any means but entertaining enough comedy starring Bianca Del Rio. When a science teacher moves to a small town in Texas for a new job as a High School Chemistry teacher he is almost immediately fired for being gay (and yes, that unfortunately IS actually legal in Texas) and is generally treat terribly by the small-minded town. In order to get revenge he adopts a drag persona - Bianca Del Rio - and pretends to be a real woman in order to get his revenge on the town. Quite a funny, lighthearted movie also starring Rachel Dratch and with cameo's from several RPDR queens (including Willam and Shangela).

Murder-Set-Pieces - 1 star - urrrrrrrghh. I have been wanting to see this movie for years due to it's reputation for being one of the most disturbing and graphic slashers out there but have never been able to track it down, so I was pretty excited to watch it last night. But....just no. It really is not very violent or graphic at all, especially compared to some movies that came out around the same time (2004). I do give the movie credit for having the balls to have the killer graphically stab a ten year old to death on-screen, though. Most American movies wouldn't dare. Which brings me to one thing I had a problem with (and it is fucking impossible to offend me): there is a scene where after the killer has murdered a woman he goes into her 1-year-old infants bedroom and takes the kid out of his crib. He was covered in fake blood and looked very menacing and that kid was SCREAMING and that was NOT acting. That kid was looking off camera and really really hysterical. The camera then follows this kid as he toddles into the living room where the actress playing his mother is a dead body with very grizzly, clearly visible injuries and also blood-covered. The kid runs to her and puts his arms around her and does a truly chilling scream before hugging the "body" and sobbing his heart out. I just think it was totally inappropriate to have a murdered corpse right there with a one-year-old who is clearly far too young to understand that it is not real. I guess you have to watch it to understand what I mean but the child was clearly very distressed for real.
Besides all of that, it is just not a good movie.

Decided to change things up for a bit, break out of the sci-fi I've been stuck in lately...

Collateral Beauty (2016)

This has some pretty good actors (I do love Ed Norton, and the ladies were easy on the eyes). Premise is Will Smith was a vibrant leader who helped create an advertising group in NYC, very successful with a tight group of friends that helped him grow it. We find him 2y after his daughter (age 6) died of cancer and he's never recovered. He shows up to the office, but works with dominoes and doesn't do any real work anymore to the point where the firm is about to lose major clients, so his 'friends' seek to get him deemed unfit to vote his shares in selling the company to new buyers. Will had written three letters, one each to Time, Death, and Love full of anger and accusation over his daughter's death. The 'friends' (they are, they just have to act against him for their own reasons), enlist 3 actors to confront him, representing Time, Death, and Love which they hope to use to either snap him out of it or further prove he is unfit for controlling his shares. There are a few layers to this film which half will pick up on and see coming - I don't wish to spoil them, but I will say they were well planned and executed, tying the actors and the 'friends' to Will's character and each other. There's a fourth role, a woman running a grief recovery for parents who lost kids, who also gets a wrinkle in the story but it is very appropriate whether you see it coming or not. All in all, consider it 'not a comedy', but most certainly a semi-heavy film to help you deal with death of a child or at least see how one man did. The film itself is top quality, good writing, lighting, sets, dialogue, acting, etc. and it wraps up with a nice semi-twist at the end (open for your interpretation) that also fits well. 8/10

Ended up watching the Blues Brothers for the first time last night. Had me in bits the whole way through, so many cameos and some pretty catchy music too.

I've STILL not seen it lol. Any good?

It was made in 1978, depicting outrageous college life in the 60's. If you can get past the 'dated'ness of it, it is very funny. You can probably pick up some things that were copied in movies later, or at least some of the more famous quotes as I suspect you've heard some and didn't know it was from there. Lot of big name actors when they were young, I'm not sure how many you can identify if you were born after 1980. But yeah, it was good.

Sleepaway Camp - 5 stars - like my twentieth viewing or something. Never not amazing. From the hilariously awful acting in the first ten minutes to the grizzly deaths to THAT twist ending, everything about this movie is brilliant. Sleepaway Camp is an 80's slasher movie set at a summer camp, but trust me this is not your average by-the-numbers-slasher. After her dad and brother die in a boating accident of which she is the only survivor, 14-year-old Angela and her cousin Ricky leave for Camp Arawak together. Angela is extremely shy ("she's just quiet is all" "if she were any quieter she'd be dead") and is bullied by other campers, particularly Camp Councillor Meg and Cabin Mate Judy. Angela reacts to the abuse by staring silently while Ricky gets enraged and protective of her. And for once the teenages in this movie are (shock of all shocks for an American movie!!) played by ACTUAL teenagers. I'm not even giving anything else away here, just fucking watch it.
Starting a Top Quote feature for movies I review.
TQ:
Bill: Eat shit and die, Ricky
Ricky: Eat shit and LIVE, Bill

Baby Driver is great, watched it soon after release and a couple times since.

Most recent film I watched was The Gentlemen (2019) and it is fucking brilliant. I reckon you guys would love it, especially any Brits here. In fact I should go rave about it on EADD, I'm sure a few there have seen it already.

Similar vibes to Layer Cake, Snatch, and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. One of those gritty British gangster films that also has you cracking up laughing.

Plot revolves around a high level dealer with a huge weed empire trying to sell it and retire. Other gangs try to get in and nick it. Hijinks ensue.

Very clever film with twists and turns as well, not just a stupid action movie.

Seriously, go watch it, preferably in 4K HDR.

Just watched the Gentleman. Solid Guy Ritchie film and done in his trademark woven narrative fashion. 8.5/10

Baby Driver is great, watched it soon after release and a couple times since.

Most recent film I watched was The Gentlemen (2019) and it is fucking brilliant. I reckon you guys would love it, especially any Brits here. In fact I should go rave about it on EADD, I'm sure a few there have seen it already.

Similar vibes to Layer Cake, Snatch, and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. One of those gritty British gangster films that also has you cracking up laughing.

Plot revolves around a high level dealer with a huge weed empire trying to sell it and retire. Other gangs try to get in and nick it. Hijinks ensue.

Very clever film with twists and turns as well, not just a stupid action movie.

Seriously, go watch it, preferably in 4K HDR.

Just watched the Gentleman. Solid Guy Ritchie film and done in his trademark woven narrative fashion. 8.5/10

Gave it a whirl for the weekend, among other things.

The Gentlemen (2019)

Up to expectations for a Guy Ritchie film. With lead Mathew M as a weed king of England who built the empire from nothing and is now looking to sell and retire. Word gets out a bit, competitors look to make moves, and we have a clever quick paced story unfolding a bit at a time filled with a colorful array of characters. Not too quick that you get lost at all, put in a few good twists, add in some good supporting cast (Colin Farrel as coach is nicely done). The only bit that threw me was I'm not used to watching an Asian actor with an English accent, but you get used to it. The wife was great too. If you liked his other films, you'll love this. Even if you aren't familiar with his other films, this will entertain. 8/10.

Wind River (2017)

Jeremy Renner plays a Fish&WIldlife officer in Wyoming tracking a lion that's been killing livestock when he discovers a dead girl on an Indian Reservation. In comes Elizabeth Olsen as an FBI agent quickly in over her head, relying on Renner for both tracking and general survival. The story itself moves slow, but doesn't feel like a drag as it's building the sense of life on the reservation and dealing with life in Wyoming. Olsen's role bothered me a bit, given I'm not used to her being so overwhelmed, but she carries it well enough. Renner truly carries the film, both in bringing the human connection to the locals and in protecting Olsen. Closing note gives the feel of a social message about the reservations, and everything leading up to that paints life on the reservation as hard without overstating it. Story moves along with beautiful scenery, realistic, even up to the introduction of a handful of late introduction characters halfway thru to give us a final act. It didn't stick out in any particular way, just carried thru and delivered. Though, I never have an issue witching Ms. Olsen. 7/10

The Aviator (2004)

A young Leonardo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes, runs nearly 3h in length. Iirc, it wasn't all that well received at the time. Yes, a cinematic opus, but considered too long at the time. Having watched it, I have to agree. It went to great depth to explore the life and mind of Hughes, as a child of wealth looking to make his mark on the world - through film, through industry. He's shown as someone stubborn, wanting what he wants, but also a man coming apart through is own OCD afflictions and inability to truly trust the world his eyes and ears are bringing him. Aeronautical genius, to the point of failing arrogance. Desperate for a person to connect to, to trust, and unable to be such a person himself. Leo does the role very well throughout. There is a bit of romance with Kate Hepburn (Cate Blanchett), and friendship, through which she does her role quite well. I am sitting here with 35min left, and I"m wishing this was over. Maybe if someone was a Leo fan, or a Hughes fan, maybe they'd enjoy it. Despite a fistful of known actors doing well at their roles, I just can't recommend this one. Ok, movie is over - last hour has been him just being a crazy recluse mixed with a brief bit of him fighting back against Senate hearings. Less than meh. 3/10.

Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

I'd never seen it, but wanted to someday. Story, for those that don't know, is Brad & Janet get engaged following their friend's wedding, and head off to meet an old professor friend. Along the way, they get a flat tire, wander to the nearest house in the middle of nowhere, get taken in and lost in a never ending parade of songs all hosted by Tim Curry as Dr. Frank N Furter. This happens to be the special anniversary night, Dr. has made a monster (named Rocky Horror), we have a slight interruption with Meatloaf busting out of cold storage to sing a song and get killed. Guests leave, Brad & Janet stay in separate rooms, and while I won't spoil things further, I'll say corruption abounds thanks to the Dr. We wrap up with more songs and a big face off between the Maid&Butler (brother and sister) vs Dr., from which Brad & Janet get released and some head back home to their planet of Transexual Transylvania. I came away expecting something worse, hoping for something better, but at least able to say I've seen it now. 6/10.

I'd still go see what the live performance is like for those theaters that had midnight showings with audience participation-acting_out. Again, to say I've been. Whenever theaters open again, and if they still do that.

Wind River (2017)

Jeremy Renner plays a Fish&WIldlife officer in Wyoming tracking a lion that's been killing livestock when he discovers a dead girl on an Indian Reservation. In comes Elizabeth Olsen as an FBI agent quickly in over her head, relying on Renner for both tracking and general survival. The story itself moves slow, but doesn't feel like a drag as it's building the sense of life on the reservation and dealing with life in Wyoming. Olsen's role bothered me a bit, given I'm not used to her being so overwhelmed, but she carries it well enough. Renner truly carries the film, both in bringing the human connection to the locals and in protecting Olsen. Closing note gives the feel of a social message about the reservations, and everything leading up to that paints life on the reservation as hard without overstating it. Story moves along with beautiful scenery, realistic, even up to the introduction of a handful of late introduction characters halfway thru to give us a final act. It didn't stick out in any particular way, just carried thru and delivered. Though, I never have an issue witching Ms. Olsen. 7/10
A rather low score. I found this film to be an instant classic.

The Aviator (2004)

A young Leonardo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes, runs nearly 3h in length. Iirc, it wasn't all that well received at the time. Yes, a cinematic opus, but considered too long at the time. Having watched it, I have to agree. It went to great depth to explore the life and mind of Hughes, as a child of wealth looking to make his mark on the world - through film, through industry. He's shown as someone stubborn, wanting what he wants, but also a man coming apart through is own OCD afflictions and inability to truly trust the world his eyes and ears are bringing him. Aeronautical genius, to the point of failing arrogance. Desperate for a person to connect to, to trust, and unable to be such a person himself. Leo does the role very well throughout. There is a bit of romance with Kate Hepburn (Cate Blanchett), and friendship, through which she does her role quite well. I am sitting here with 35min left, and I"m wishing this was over. Maybe if someone was a Leo fan, or a Hughes fan, maybe they'd enjoy it. Despite a fistful of known actors doing well at their roles, I just can't recommend this one. Ok, movie is over - last hour has been him just being a crazy recluse mixed with a brief bit of him fighting back against Senate hearings. Less than meh. 3/10.
Easily one of Scorsese's most boring films, topped only by his recent failure of a film, The Irishman (imo).

Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

I'd never seen it, but wanted to someday. Story, for those that don't know, is Brad & Janet get engaged following their friend's wedding, and head off to meet an old professor friend. Along the way, they get a flat tire, wander to the nearest house in the middle of nowhere, get taken in and lost in a never ending parade of songs all hosted by Tim Curry as Dr. Frank N Furter. This happens to be the special anniversary night, Dr. has made a monster (named Rocky Horror), we have a slight interruption with Meatloaf busting out of cold storage to sing a song and get killed. Guests leave, Brad & Janet stay in separate rooms, and while I won't spoil things further, I'll say corruption abounds thanks to the Dr. We wrap up with more songs and a big face off between the Maid&Butler (brother and sister) vs Dr., from which Brad & Janet get released and some head back home to their planet of Transexual Transylvania. I came away expecting something worse, hoping for something better, but at least able to say I've seen it now. 6/10.

I'd still go see what the live performance is like for those theaters that had midnight showings with audience participation-acting_out. Again, to say I've been. Whenever theaters open again, and if they still do that.
I agree, it's not a great film. Something only worth seeing live with the people performing and a full audience. Love Susan Sarandon in it though heh.

The live audience is really what makes it a cult classic. Without the performance, it's just... weird lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.