Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riget (1994), not a film but a TV show. Watched it in 2 days, fantastic little show. Obviously Twin Peaks inspired.
It's creepy, funny and an all around great watch. A breath of fresh air from all the crap that is released nowadays.

9/10

A third season will be released next year after a long long time, again directed by Lars Von Trier. I'm getting Twin Peaks flashbacks.... Though I have to admit that I never got through the third season of Twin Peaks, while I enjoyed the fuck out of the first two seasons.

Though I have to admit that I never got through the third season of Twin Peaks, while I enjoyed the fuck out of the first two seasons.
Aww man if I still had a digital copy I'd send it to you, but I deleted it when I bought the Bluray set. If you like David Lynch stuff in general, you'll love season 3. At first I hated it, but it grew on me the more I watched it, and realized just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Aww man if I still had a digital copy I'd send it to you, but I deleted it when I bought the Bluray set. If you like David Lynch stuff in general, you'll love season 3. At first I hated it, but it grew on me the more I watched it, and realized just how deep the rabbit hole goes.
Yeah I'm giving it another chance, my attention span was the main culprit but that's better now.
Really looking forward to it, it's one of the few gaps in my TV resume.

The Thing (1982)

As y'all likely know, my wife and I enjoy John Carpenter films. We watched Assault on Precinct 13 over 12 years ago on our first date.

To me, this was his best film from both a technical and plot stand point. The special effects (derided at the time as "cheesy") were some of the best I've ever seen, even to this day. WTF were critics smoking in 1982? The acting was spot on, not like the general cheese of his other films. Kurt Russel was very good, so good that I was able to take him seriously for once in a Carpenter film!

The tone was ominous and creepy, Ennio Morricone did an excellent score (also derided at the time, even though unused pieces were later used in The Hateful Eight and somehow earned him an Oscar... seriously, wtf was everyone smoking in 1982??!) and just about everything was top shape. Of all his films I've seen, this was easily the 'best' in that even Steven Spielberg should be jealous of the downright Hollywood quality of it all. E.T. won out at the box office that year over this and Blade Runner; both became significantly more famous than E.T. ever will be thanks to VHS followed by other home video releases. Just goes to show, the best of the best films aren't always appreciated in their time.

Oh yeah, shout out to Roger Ebert for the bad review. Fuckin' twat.

While this was likely his best film, I still enjoyed Escape from New York better, if only because I'm less of a horror fan and more of a dystopian future fan.

8.5/10

The Last Laugh, with Richard Dreyfuss and Chevy Chase. Much better than I thought it was going to be. It's nice to see both of them again in leading roles. Andie McDowell seems to have stopped ageing at some point.

Been too busy to watch anything serious, so I decided to finally give in and watch entries 4 & 5 of the Resident Evil series (Afterlife and Retribution. I'd only seen the first one and skipped 2 & 3. From what I gather it doesn't really matter what order you watch them in?)

Afterlife was nothing to write home about, had some decent action scenes and a few chuckles, but Retribution, oh man... Mad props to Anderson for fully and unapologetically leaning into the video game logic and mechanics of it all. Conceptually, yes, it's just a shoot-'em-up-and-escape-from-the-lair sort of thing, but in the process it manages to hit upon some unexpectedly deep existential (for the lack of a better word?) questions. And yes, some of the choreography, the best of which is shot against blaring white, empty corridors, is absolutely jaw-dropping. It's not without its faults (some of the firefights get boring) and could have benefited from more minimalist dialogue (the grunts who side up with Alice are pretty awful and one of them even looks like Elon Musk; I would have been happier with them as silent characters), but it's a breezy 85 minutes (the credit sequence is 9 minutes long!!) and perfect fodder for when you don't have the capacity to watch anything too cerebral.

Been too busy to watch anything serious, so I decided to finally give in and watch entries 4 & 5 of the Resident Evil series (Afterlife and Retribution. I'd only seen the first one and skipped 2 & 3. From what I gather it doesn't really matter what order you watch them in?)

Afterlife was nothing to write home about, had some decent action scenes and a few chuckles, but Retribution, oh man... Mad props to Anderson for fully and unapologetically leaning into the video game logic and mechanics of it all. Conceptually, yes, it's just a shoot-'em-up-and-escape-from-the-lair sort of thing, but in the process it manages to hit upon some unexpectedly deep existential (for the lack of a better word?) questions. And yes, some of the choreography, the best of which is shot against blaring white, empty corridors, is absolutely jaw-dropping. It's not without its faults (some of the firefights get boring) and could have benefited from more minimalist dialogue (the grunts who side up with Alice are pretty awful and one of them even looks like Elon Musk; I would have been happier with them as silent characters), but it's a breezy 85 minutes (the credit sequence is 9 minutes long!!) and perfect fodder for when you don't have the capacity to watch anything too cerebral.
Retribution is quite good I agree!

Jerry Atrick said:
John Carpenter

I love John Carpenter. If I had to chose one JC - Carpenter or Jesus Christ - it would be a tough call. I grew up on Big Trouble in Little China and Escape From New York. Recently watched Prince of Darkness for the first time which was surprisingly good. I have a copy of In The Mouth of Madness lying around somewhere that is next on my list. I've almost seen all of his films now.

(Never liked Halloween for some reason.)

Airplane 2: The Sequel - 4.5 stars - always enjoy these two movies. There's always so many visual jokes on screen at any time that you keep discovering new ones upon rewatching.

TQ:

Boy: Hey, Mister, can I ask you a question?
Ted: What is it?
Boy: It's an interrogative statement designed to test knowledge, but that's not important right now.

Elaine: I'm okay, I'm just excited
Man: That's right, it's your first time isn't it?
Elaine: No, I've been excited lots of times.

Steve McCroskey: Jacobs, what have you got on Elaine Dickinson?
Jacobs: Well, I'm two inches taller, I'm a better dancer, and I'm a lot more fun to be around!

[10 year old Jimmy visits the airplane cockpit]
Captain Ouver: Jimmy, do you like it when Scraps holds onto your leg and rubs up and down?
[later]
Captain Ouver: Jimmy, do you ever wonder why dogs sniff each other in the asshole?
[later]
Captain Ouver: Jimmy, do you ever hang around the gymnasium?
[later]
Captain Ouver: Jimmy, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

Haven't seen a film for ages. Been watching TV. Most of it is filler. I really liked Only Murders in the Building and White Lotus, but I've also been watching the 33rd season of the Simpsons and - God knows why - the 4th season of The Conners.

Sometimes I think television is worse than drugs.

Jimmy, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.