⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderator: Cream Gravy?
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Cream Gravy?

Moderator: F&TV, PD
Staff member
Irrational Man (2015)

Another quirky Woody Allen flick. This one started off how the majority of his recent flicks do, and I could see where the plot was going... or so I thought lol. Turned out I was wrong, and while the typical Woody Allen tropes played out (love triangles, adultery, nihilism) the ending/second half took on a completely different direction.

Not my favorite of his films but well done, better than many of his more recent flicks. Emma Stone is a fox and Joaquin Phoenix is fantastic once again as a bit of a deranged man.

7/10

Starting to get annoyed with Allen's seeming ephebophilia though... something I've noticed throughout the vast majority of his films now is a consistent love interest between an older man and a barely-of-age girl. While I can identify with fetishizing youthfulness, it feels a lot like seeing feet in Tarrantino films now... like we get it, y'all like feet and teenage girls... stop shoving it in my face!

birdup.snaildown

Greenlighter
Mighty Joe Young

My God this film is a pile of shit. The weirdly erotic scenes with a young Charlize Theron rubbing herself on a giant ape have not aged well.

Worst King Kong ever.

The Suicide Squad (2021)

This film is what the first Suicide Squad should have been. It’s rare to have a do-over in Hollywood and have it done well. Warner Bros gets credit for letting James Gunn write and direct this film to the standards of this beloved comic. They were also wise to stay out of his way.

It begins with a tease of what this new squad looks like and the supervillain convicts are not ones you expect. Gunn sets it up perfectly for the blood and gore the comic book is known for, as well as incredible action and very witty humor. The soundtrack is absolutely killer and adds to the completely ridiculous action you are watching unfold. It is an incredibly fun ride and is worth seeing in theaters. I saw it with my HBO Max subscription and was disappointed in myself that I didn’t go the movies for this one.

Rating: A

🧙‍♂️

Burnt Offerings

Bluelighter
A couple of days ago I rewatched Con Air (1997) for the first time since it originally came out. I only remembered the basic plot as well as the wailing guitar soundtrack, but man, what a goofy movie. They sure don't make them like that anymore. Nic Cage's Southern accent is something to behold. Hilarious premise, lots of great gags (Colm Meaney's fancy car getting dragged into the air, John Malkovich's Looney Tunes-ass demise), unbelievably stacked cast, loads of stupid fun.

Con Air is a classic! Love me some dumb 90s Cage, like that, Face/Off, the Rock etc 😍

Kellsee

Bluelighter
"Nothing makes me gladder than when the pilot lost his bladder on the airplane" Syrus the Virus

I loved John Malkovich in Con Air

Face/Off is one of my favs too.

Greenmile is prolly my all time favorite....close tie would be Shawshank Redemption

And basically any movie with Al Pacino
Havent really watched a good movie in a long long time. Shits just gotten too real.

Cream Gravy?

Staff member
Greenmile is prolly my all time favorite....close tie would be Shawshank Redemption
Might I ask why? I've noticed on imdb that these two films are in the top 25 or so (I think Shawshank is #1?) and while I haven't seen The Green Mile, I have seen Shawshank and, well... it wasn't THAT interesting. It was a good watch once, I never feel like watching it again. To me that knocks a film far down the list; if it ain't rewatchable, what's the point? It's a linear plot with an uncomplicated ending... so what's there to revisit?

Legit question. I want to understand.

Watched Tales from Earthsea yesterday; never read the book it was adapted from but this was likely the most confusing/uninteresting Ghibli film I ever saw. Goro Miyazaki really disappointed with this one. Like Sofia Coppola he just can't live up to his father's image.

5/10

LSDiesel

Bluelighter
The Ice Storm (1997)

Man, I love this one. I rewatched it for the third or fourth time. It has so much talent in it. And quite alot of talent when they were younger and more obscure ie Toby Mcquire (before spiderman), Elijah Wood (before frodo in Lord of the Rings) and Christina Ricci (right after Casper). This 100 percent drama has a few chuckles in it, but mostly you are simply moved to feel melancholy or tears for the characters and and all their flaws. Pretty much everyone is searching for sexual satisfaction in this early 70s new england drama. It is interesting to see a film that was made over 20 years ago, but it takes place about 40 years ago.

Speaking of early talent, like a 1978 Jeff Goldblum in Invasion of the Body Snatchers

MydriHaze

Temporary Ban
OSS 117 : Le Caire Nid d'Espions
If you like absurd and dark humor you'd like it, there's Rio Ne Répond Plus which was shot a few years after the prior one, now there's Alerte Rouge En Afrique Noire taht's about to get out, by differents directors and writters, so i'm a kind of a sceptic, but i'll check it....

Cream Gravy?

Staff member
Smokey and the Bandit

Classic, loved seeing younger Burt Reynolds shine. The plot of Coors beer being illicit past the Mississippi River though confused the hell outa me; then again I didn't live through the 70s and alcohol laws have changed so much over the past century. Good film anyways though. Had the wife and I laughing a lot.

8/10

And Then There Were None (1945)

Pretty decent adaptation of an Agatha Christie mystery. Always enjoy these. Color was funny, I assume they did it by hand-painting the film reel so it's like you're tripping, colors always change from moment to moment in each scene.

7.5/10

Big Trouble in Little China

I'm a big John Carpenter fan; I love what he did with the score in this one, plus the cheese that is Kurt Russel is always a hoot. 30 minutes too long though.

6/10

Aliens

I love the Alien franchise, seen Aliens many times. I'm working my way through the films chronologically right now (wana see #4 since it was directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet). Aliens takes a place in cementing James Cameron as a titan of science fiction; sooooo many parts of Aliens were stolen by future films to create the sci-fi we all enjoy today. The mechs in Avatar, the Marines and drop-ships in Starship Troopers, etc. seem to have all stemmed from this classic. Loved seeing Cameron re-use the actor who he had play Kyle Reese in The Terminator.

8.5/10

Predator

The classic Predator film, this film didn't weather time well. I so enjoyed seeing Carl Weathers amazing, sub-par acting here though. Couldn't help but think of him in Arrested Development lol.

7/10

Predator 2

This film sucked. A 1990 film that takes place in 1997 where the whole populace of L.A. is armed and Mexican drug cartels can get their hands on Austrian/German military grade weapons and Danny Glover uses some modified Desert Eagle that has a .22 caliber sized hole for bullets lol (sorry I pay wayyyy too close attention to firearms in films now). So many one-liners. Only worth watching if you feel like plowing through ALL the Predator films.

3/10

The Lair of the White Worm

I love me some Ken Russel films, I can almost always look past the cheese and enjoy the sumptuous scenery. One year prior to The Rainbow and sharing many of the same actors, this pile of poop sprung into existence... this was beyond camp. I enjoyed seeing Amanda Donahoe traipse around naked most of the film and the camera work was fantastic. Russel clearly knows how to make a good film... but I guess he didn't mean to with this one? Idk, obviously his films are hit and miss for most, but I couldn't stomach the random MTV-80s music video style for the 'vision' scenes lol. Just terrible...

4/10

Last edited: