• The database table for Search and "New Messages" functionality is currently being rebuilt. Until it is completed, you may see empty or incomplete results for these.
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderator: Cream Gravy?
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Burnt Offerings

Bluelighter
El día de la bestia AKA The Day of the Beast (1995) by Álex de la Iglesia
Spanish horror B-movie. Should be five stars based on the plot alone: a priest-turned-sinner joins forces with a shotgun-wielding, acid freak metal head to meet the Devil. It has pretty good pacing and the usual humor that comes with B-movies. The ending felt a little janky/rushed/out of place tho. Blink and you'll miss it. Shout out Easy Rider. 3.75/5

Haven't seen that one for a while but I remember enjoying it

mal3volent

Administrator
Staff member
Maze Runner.
First 2 of series,
Thoroughly, enjoyed both.

I was very much intrigued by the premise of this series but it kinda fell flat in the end. I agree it was still enjoyable though.

This is a film-maker (Ron Howard) taking a personal memoir about a life he knows nothing about and recruiting Hollywood actors - who also know nothing about this life - and trying to replicate something that requires real nuance and attention to detail... but, instead, forcing drama and playing with stereotypes.

Fiddlesticks. This is what I was expecting but in the back of my mind I was trying to convince myself to overcome my cynicism and give it a chance. I don't know if I'll be able to. The last thing I want to do is watch a bunch of hollywod elites appropriate my culture if it's clear they didn't put in the effort to truly understand it.

mal3volent

Administrator
Staff member
I give Godzilla vs Kong 1/10 . It would've been a zero if it weren't for the incredible effects.

I give Mortal Kombat 5/10. Impressive when a movie can be spot on half the time then fall flat on its face the other half. But that's what this incarnation of MK did.

ions

Bluelighter
I watched part of bohemian rhapsody. Bad accent, bad acting, bad writing. I was wanting to do a version with Adrian grenier as Freddy Mercury. Big pharma took it.

Max Power

Bluelight Crew
Haven't seen that one for a while but I remember enjoying it
I'm glad I stumbled across it. It's not the best movie out there and yet the world would lose a little something had it not existed.
I give Godzilla vs Kong 1/10 . It would've been a zero if it weren't for the incredible effects.

I give Mortal Kombat 5/10. Impressive when a movie can be spot on half the time then fall flat on its face the other half. But that's what this incarnation of MK did.
I said the same thing about 'zilla. Regarding MK, I'm so tempted based solely on the fact I'm a 90s kid. However, I recently watched Snyder's Justice League and it left a bad, four hour taste in my mouth.
I watched part of bohemian rhapsody. Bad accent, bad acting, bad writing. I was wanting to do a version with Adrian grenier as Freddy Mercury. Big pharma took it.
Saw him in a small role within Short Term 12 and it got me curious to watch that. Not because he was good in it, just to see his take. Sucks to hear.

I have like 7 films I recently watch to review, but who gives a fuck lol. One of them is Nomadland. Shout out Chloe Zhao! You go girl.

Asclepius

Bluelight Crew
I was very much intrigued by the premise of this series but it kinda fell flat in the end. I agree it was still enjoyable though.

Fiddlesticks. This is what I was expecting but in the back of my mind I was trying to convince myself to overcome my cynicism and give it a chance. I don't know if I'll be able to. The last thing I want to do is watch a bunch of hollywod elites appropriate my culture if it's clear they didn't put in the effort to truly understand it.
Thanks for ruining the shitty ending, i've already read about, for me! :p ;)

We got to create a better one!

Cream Gravy?

Moderator: F&TV, PD
Staff member
I have like 7 films I recently watch to review, but who gives a fuck lol.
I've taken to writing a list, it's past 10 movies now... been a bad few weeks for me mentally, so it's been hard to write, but still plowing through the movies.

Buzz Lightbeer

Bluelighter
I saw Climax (2018 ). Weird film, semi enjoyed it, I had to look past the absolutely awful portrayal of LSD, even though it wasn't the point of the movie. 6/10

Max Power

Bluelight Crew
I've taken to writing a list, it's past 10 movies now... been a bad few weeks for me mentally, so it's been hard to write, but still plowing through the movies.
For me it's a bit more nihilistic -- who cares what I rate a film. Why bother taking the time to write down my thoughts? (the irony that I started this thread is not lost on me)

Although -- shout out to @ghostfreak for recommending Letterboxd. I haven't signed up yet but seems like a neat idea. At least then my rating adds some value to something, somewhere.

I think.

inb4: "you create your meaning, kid!"

Cream Gravy?

Moderator: F&TV, PD
Staff member
For me it's a bit more nihilistic -- who cares what I rate a film. Why bother taking the time to write down my thoughts? (the irony that I started this thread is not lost on me)
I feel that too. Who's gonna read my drawn out movie reviews in the dark corner of a harm-reduction site? Not many. But I still like to do it to keep my writing skills up, to keep the films fresh in my mind, and to advise others of great films I've seen. Many a times I've read peoples' reviews here and then decided for or against watching a film.

No review yet, but shout out to American Honey. Why does it take an English woman to capture so perfectly the picture of impoverished youth in America? Great film, Netflix took it away. No clue where it might be streaming now.

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
News of the World. The whole premise of these bad men putting all this effort into getting one girl in that lawless time seemed damn unbelievable.. plot undercurrents were interesting but not captivating. This film I doesn’t it end up working.

birdup.snaildown

Bluelighter
Come As You Are (2019)

A comedy/dramady about three guys with disabilities that travel across the country to visit a brothel that (as they say) caters to "people like us".

All four major characters (Sam, Scotty, Mo & Matt) are well defined and likeable. The acting is good, not great. Gabourey Sibide (best known for Precious) plays a no-nonsense support worker.

This film doesn't try too hard to impress. It isn't desperate for laughs, but it does drag a bit at times.

Janeane Garofalo is surprisingly good. I'm not usually a fan of her comedic stylings, but her role (in Come As You Are) is mostly dramatic and she does a great job.

Unlike a lot of films about guys getting laid, there is a sensible and mature message by the time the credits role.

It's not a great film, but it's certainly different and I appreciated it as someone who has personally worked in the disability sector for over a decade.

The actor who plays the main character (Scotty) is Ben Stiller's son Ari Tenenbaum from the Wes Anderson classic.

3.5 / 5

Max Power

Bluelight Crew
Who's gonna read my drawn out movie reviews in the dark corner of a harm-reduction site?
Ha, hit the nail on the head with this one!

Although I did recently learn about this site:

https://www.criticker.com/

I've yet to sign up, but apparently the benefit of leaving ratings is getting suggestions back for more movies based on my tastes. The more I rate, the better the suggestions. I hear it's pretty accurate. Has anyone here tried it?

Alright, here goes:

Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021) by Zack Snyder
So The Flash is DC's answer to MCU Spiderman, eh? And Aquaman is an alcoholic? And why do they play the George Bluth/Iraq/Middle Eastern background jingle from Arrested Development every time Wonder Woman is on screen? So many questions. Maybe it's because I haven't seen many of these DC films. From the few I've seen, they lack the humor and charm the best MCU films do (see: the Guardians series). Also 4 fucking hours? Fuck off. Fuck right off with this filth. 1.5/5

Törst AKA Thirst (1949) by Ingmar Bergman
Early Bergy, he's still finding his legs. But there are flashes. The close ups, the framing . . the rocky marriage. Man, the plot is convoluted as all fuck though. I knock off points if I have to concentrate too much lol. 2/5

Possession (1981) by Andrzej Zulawski
Woo, where to start. This was a stressful film to watch. Also, maybe it's because I saw this right after the film above, but I got heavy Bergman vibes. The religious overtones, the marriage troubles, the close ups on the face. Those were the positives, I suppose? The first third of this film may be an homage to Bergman, but after that it goes off the rails and becomes a fever dream, bordering on surrealism. Weird film but there is a lot to chew on, symbolism wise. Maybe one day I'll be arsed enough to revisit this to really dissect the meaning of it all. More than likely, I'll just watch a YouTube review. 3/5

La Haine AKA Hate (1995) by Mathieu Kassovitz
Great job on the character development in this one. Really felt like I was just spending the day with some chavs on the streets of Paris. I heard Tarantino refer to "hanging out" films (he was talking about Dazed and Confused IIRC) and I suppose this would qualify as one. Except this isn't a comedy set in Austin, it's a drama set across a canvas of socio-political turmoil, specifically as it relates to police abuse. Very topical. Anyway, there were some good shots in this one, pacing could have been better, but the acting (and the ending!) make this one above average. 4/5

Nomadland (2020) by Chloé Zhao
Watched this before I even knew it was nominated for anything, let alone before it actually won. Cinematography is beautiful and the directing is strong. Frances McDormand absolutely kills these types of roles. Would love to see her act across from Javier Bardem. Random thought. Also, I like the idea of the whole nomad thing. And yet, with all the accolades, I felt it was missing something to truly take it over the top into a certified Classic. I don't know if the simplicity of the film is throwing me for a loop or if I am second guessing my rating after this won the awards, but. 4.25/5

Seppuku AKA Harakiri (1962) by Masaki Kobayashi
What a great film. Two hours just flew by. Just a well made story, beautiful directing, and great acting. The plot for me is the strongest part, the way the story unfolds (in a non-linear fashion) is just so masterfully done. Not much more to say, one of the greats. 4.5/5

Le Samouraï (1967) by Jean-Pierre Melville
Seen this on a bunch of lists. It inspired John Woo to make The Killer. And yet, I haven't been this let down since Rebel Without a Cause. Don't get me wrong, the main character is cool as fuck. In that cool, French way. And he's a fucking assassin for Christ's sake. And there some cool shots/vibes, considering it's a noir set in 60s Paris. But it's not enough to carry 100+ minutes. Not a bad film, just overall forgettable. Sometimes I wonder if 'influential' films (that came out 50+ years ago) have permeated film culture so deeply that they lose that impact they had upon their original release and unfairly come off as stale now even if they were groundbreaking at the time. Anyway, thanks for coming to my TED talk. 3.5/5

Play Misty for Me (1971) by Clint Eastwood
Eastwood's first time directing. And it's a solid effort. Great performance from a young Jessica Walter AKA Lucille Bluth (RIP). Man, two AD references in the same post. Score! Unfortunately, the plot feels played out and nothing really stood out about this film, particularly, outside of Walter's performance. The stalker story has been done to death. Also, her character gives so many Stage 5 clinger red flags early on that it's hard to sympathize with Eastwood's character here. And gotta knock off points for that, plot-wise. 3.5/5

Last edited:

cduggles

⚥ Male Model Maven ⚥ Sr. Moderator: CEPS, Words
Staff member
La Haine AKA Hate (1995) by Mathieu Kassovitz
Felt like I was just having out with some chavs on the streets of Paris. I heard Tarantino refer to "hanging out" films (he was talking about Fast Times at Ridgemont High at the time FYI) and I suppose this would qualify as one. Except this isn't a comedy set in Austin, it's a drama set across a canvas of socio-political turmoil, specifically as it relates to police abuse. Very topical. Anyway, there were some good shots in this one, pacing could have been better, but the acting (and the ending!) make this one above average. 4/5
Great movie.

Burnt Offerings

Bluelighter
Yeah "La Haine" is one of my favorites for sure! The anti-hero main characters, the dialogue, the social commentary etc, it's all done to perfection in that one...it one of those films that moves seamlessly from hilarious comedy to poignant drama. It's a great movie!