⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderator: Cream Gravy?
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Cream Gravy?

Moderator: DC, F&TV, PD
Staff member
A Rainy Day in New York (2020)

Generic Woody Allen film, this one was such a horrible mash up of young Disney stars, teenage heartthrobs, and older actors that I wish coulda gotten into an Allen film before they became... whatever the fuck this was. I almost rented it for a dollar, luckily it became free on Prime... dollar well saved!

Plot wise, if you've seen at least two of Allen's films from his two styles (family crisis vs love triangles) then you've seen this whole damn film. I mean yeah, most of his films are similar to each other... but this was the worst Midnight in Paris/To Rome With Love/Interiors/Annie Hall/Manhattan/Blue Jasmine/Cafe Society mash up he could have made. Every film I just mentioned makes an appearance. It's sad... Allen films are almost always self-derivitive, but this? This was self-indulgance.

On an up-note, I'm surprised by how decent of an actor Timothee Chalamet has become. High hopes for him as Paul Atreides in Dune this year.

3/10

Out of Afrika (1985)

Like all best picture winners at the Oscars, this film was about 30-45 minutes too long, full of shitty accents on Meryl Streep's part, and just generally boring. At nearly three hours, I put my own intermission in and paused halfway for other activities.

That isn't to say this was a bad film; indeed, the sweeping imagery, the amazing soundtrack by John Barry, the beauty of 20th century period pieces... it was all rather beautiful. The acting was good (shout out to Robert Redford) and the plot was decent enough for a drama.

But like all Oscar bait, this film dragged. It was hard to finish. Next time I'll just listen to the soundtrack.

5/10

Phantasm (1979)

Seen this one before, just rewatched it on Prime for fun. Classic 70s horror film with a weird sci-fi twist and an AMAZING soundtrack. One for my DVD shelf some day. The Plymouth Barracuda in this film... oof what a beaut. They don't make 'em like that anymore. Nor do they make amazing synth-soundtracks anymore! Shame on you modern horror films!

I rate this film higher than it really deserves just because it's such a good B flick.

7.5/10

Last edited:

ghostfreak

Moderator: DC
Staff member

Actually pretty good alien invasion flick that takes place on St Patrick’s Day, bit on the short side (70 odd mins). Was impressed how much I liked it lol.

Max Power

Bluelight Crew
Dr No (1962) directed by Terence Young
The one that started it all. Literally 5 minutes in and you have the classic 'turn and shoot' intro, 007 playing poker, and the infamous "Bond, James Bond". The film that launched a thousand parodies. For being the first one, so much was already in place. But I suppose the books had a lot to do with that. Not great, not bad, it's a trendsetter tho. 3.75/5

The Killer (1989) directed by John Woo
"Yo, Meth, where my killa tape at?" Funny that a film beloved by rappers contain so much homoeroticism. Speaking of which, I felt the female lead's role in this one was fluff. Like okay, sure, she is a plot device to explain why the retired assassin is taking "one last job" but honestly, she doesn't provide much outside of that yet has considerable screen time. Not her fault tho, this one's on the screenwriters. Take her out completely and make this a 90 minute film (perfect film length imo) and this one gets bumped up. (Also, compare the laughable gun handling in this film vs Heat, holy) 4/5

Midnight Cowboy (1969) directed by John Schlesinger
I really liked this one. This films exists in the same universe as Taxi Driver and not just for the setting but the fact Joe Buck could have easily been Harvey Keitel's character. Yes I'm a sucker for any film portraying old NYC (especially the 'seedy underbelly'), but aside from that you have just great performances from Voight and Hoffman. A cowboy walking around packed NYC crowds with a boombox on his shoulder yet he is utterly fucking alone and lost? *chefs kiss* Just the overall story, including the interspersed 'trippy' flashbacks, this ones a gem. I'm walking heah! 4.5/5

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons (1973) directed by Kenji Misumi
So this one randomly caught my eye. I read a short description: "samurai assassin roams the countryside of Japan with a fucking baby in tow". How could I not. It's supposed to be the fifth in a series of six so I was a bit apprehensive. But this one more than met expectations. The swordplay, the story, the humor. Very tight film, which I always appreciate. Entertaining. The whole time I was thinking, man, this all seems vaguely familiar for some reason. After watching, it turns out the first film in the series is fucking Shogun Assassin (of Liquid Swords/Kill Bill fame). I will definitely be watching the rest of these. 4.25/5

Last edited:

birdup.snaildown

Bluelighter
Max Power said:
Midnight Cowboy (1969)

Such a classic. I love that film so much.

birdup.snaildown

Bluelighter
I'm watching Zack Snyder's Justice League.

It is worlds better than the original (Joss Whedon) release, but it's far from Snyder's best work.

Gal Gadot isn't an actress. She's a model. They should've hired an actress.

Ben Affleck competes for the worst Batman.

Snyder's version of the film oozes style though. It's epic (like Lord of the Rings meets Watchmen) and JL is a worthy addition to Batman vs Superman... which most people hated, but I personally thought was a weird dark diversion from the popcorn Marvel bullshit that they churn out every year. Full disclosure: I prefer DC. So, I'm probably biased.

This is a film that needs four hours.

People have this limited idea of cinematic running time. Four hours is outrageous because we have attention spans dictated by social media and TikTok, but some stories need time to develop.

Snyder's cut got pretty average critic reviews. If it was a TV show, it would be one of the best rated shows on television... but, it's a film... and people are impatient and fickle. So, it gets mediocre reviews.

My biggest gripe with the original cut was how they brushed over Superman's resurrection, but the whole thing was rushed. None of the characters had room to breathe and I hated Joss Whedon's "light-hearted", silly take on the film. Warner Brothers wanted to make it a silly film. It's not a silly film. It's not based on Garfield comics. Superman is fucking dead.

Snyder nails it.

My problem with his cut is it's too epic. It's too dramatic. Sometimes, I'm not invested enough to appreciate the drama.

Last edited:

Cream Gravy?

Staff member
Grindhouse: Death Proof (2007)

Tarantino's second worst film (maybe 3rd? Django kinda sucked too, way too lengthy in favor of pandering) after Hateful Eight IMO. This film was meant as an homage to film of yore, B films to be more precise. As a fan of 70s/80s B films i.e. Roger Corman flicks such as Arena where we first see Pam Grier, I thought I'd enjoy this one and decided to give it a watch.

It didn't horribly disappoint, but in being an homage, it lacked originality in the extreme; and yes, I know that was the point! The characters even talking about Vanishing Point and other 70s B flicks and such. The intentionally bad cuts, intro credits, silly plot with silly names. It all fit cookie-cutter style into a 70s B flick. Only this time... it was an amazing director, trying to make a bad film (vs a bad director making a bad film) so we see what amounts to half-assed attempts to keep us actually engaged with the film (many Kill Bill references throughout) and in the end get left with a pulp-ending that would indeed feel right at home circa 1976 but fell horribly flat given the nearly 2 hour (yes two hours!) run-time on this film.

Props to Kurt Russel for doing what he does best; acting, with a bit a panache lol. He plays the baddy so well, though he's a relic of 80s/90s B flicks himself so it shouldn't be any surprise.

Overall it was worth the watch, if only to say, "I've seen every single Tarantino film." If you don't LOVE 70s B Flicks and Tarantino, you'll hate this film.

6/10

More reviews to come, watched many more films recently but keep getting stoned and forgetting to write... I shall return! *sound of inhaling off a joint*

ghostfreak

Staff member

Interesting and somber little horror/thriller about a guy telling a story to a bartender during a snow storm. Everything is not as it seems as it turns out.

Can’t really say much more as it would ruin the film but def catch this if you can.

3.5/5

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
who is this Max guy?

Promising Young Women

introductory sequence gave false expectations. thought it was going to be all pop punk and over the top. went bland instead. didn't quite make it to the end due to mirtazipine. was informed i didn't miss anything. too bad. carey mulligan is dope.

Cream Gravy?

Staff member
The Ghost Writer (2010)

Roman Polanski captures what many feel he didn't with The Ninth Gate in this one. Very similar plot, very similar ominous feels, but way more accessible to general audiences. Ewan MacGregor puts in an amazing performance as the lead character, a 'ghostwriter' for a politician played by Pierce Brosnan. The twist ending was mad decent and I actually didn't see it coming despite the foreshadowing. Not his best work, but very well done with mass appeal in my opinion.

If you're new to Polanski films, this one and Rosemary's Baby would be my first two recommendations. I hope to explore some of his more eclectic stuff later but Amazon said I can't rent Venus in Fur in America... bastards.

7.5/10

Last edited:

Cream Gravy?

Staff member
The Darjeeling Limited (2007)

Classic Wes Anderson style film. People who enjoyed his prior films i.e. The Life Aquatic, The Royal Tenenbaums, etc. will likely enjoy this one too. Plenty of slow-motion sequences with great music, cameos from Anderson's frequent actors. Amazing performances by all involved.

Three brothers go on a spiritual/literal journey after their father passes on. Hilarity and quirky humor ensues. I think that just about sums it up without giving away too much plot heh.

8/10

The Tiger Hunter (2016)

This was a sappy "coming to America" immigrant film. I really loved the lead actor in the tv series Community, and thus decided to give it a watch before they took it off Netflix.

It wasn't bad... but it wasn't good. The lead character must be American born, his Indian accent was atrocious. The film was very cliché. Overall though, it left me with a sense of hope, and the knowledge that I shouldn't worry about where the grass is greener, simply to enjoy what I have.

5.5/10

Max Power

Bluelight Crew
who is this Max guy?
I wonder this myself sometimes.

Short Term 12 (2013) by Destin Daniel Cretton
Guess this is supposed to be Brie Larson's breakout role and you can see why, she is great in this. I also love the idea of the 'hero/savior' themselves dealing with personal demons. It's very real. The guy from Get Out/Judas (too lazy to Google) also has a great performance in this, better than the other two films even. This is considered an 'indie' film-- does that explain the shaky cameras? Is that supposed to be a litmus test? 4.25/5

Blue Ruin (2013) by Jeremy Saulnier
Stripped down, no fuss, solid 'thriller'. Imagine a Tarantino revenge film, except a lot less stylized and with 80% less dialogue . . . okay, I guess it wouldn't be a QT film then but the sentence made sense when I started typing it. Seriously though, great film, I can't say anything bad about it. 4.25/5

birdup.snaildown

Bluelighter
Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

I didn't like the first film very much, but I thought they did a pretty good job with a God-awful character. Wonder Woman is a joke. Her outfit is ridiculous. Her powers are stupid... but the original film kind of worked anyway which is nothing short of a miracle.

1984 starts out great. The opening sequence is perfect, but everything goes downhill from there. Kristen Wiig's character is annoyingly cliched. Chris Pine's time travel jokes are cringey. None of the drama works. The plot is riddled with holes.

Near the end of the film, Wonder Woman works out she can fly like superman.

This film is worse than Aquaman and that's really saying something.

I give it a 1/10.

mal3volent

Administrator
Staff member
Godzilla vs Kong (2021)
First off, before I forget, this stars the kid from Hunt for the Wilderpeople which was a great film (4/5) so it was cool to see him in something else. I pretended it was the same character lol. Okay, so anyway, this film is what happens when you throw 500 million dollars at the CGI and 0 into the actual screenwriting. The scenes with the monkey fighting the giant lizard were pretty cool, but I could have done without everything else. Maybe I'm being too harsh; I hear this is the fourth in a 'universe' so maybe I have to watch them all to really 'get it'. But I won't so 2.5/5

lol. so true.

The others are just as bad with the exception of Kong: Skull Island imho.

Lux Exterior

Bluelighter
Just saw Mayhem a few days ago
If you like mindless violence then you'll dig this, it's about a virus that makes people go psycho and just succumb to their primal urges. It has this 'Natural Born Killers' like duo.

ghostfreak

Staff member
Just saw Mayhem a few days ago
If you like mindless violence then you'll dig this, it's about a virus that makes people go psycho and just succumb to their primal urges. It has this 'Natural Born Killers' like duo.
Loved that film! Reminded me of The Belko Experiment (or Project, can't remember at this moment).