⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderator: Cream Gravy?
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

jimdron

Bluelighter
"An Easy Girl" (available on US Netflix) (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9632590/) - very good. Rather simple, but very good movie. I guess it is about teenage girl looking for ways to grow into adulthood.

- TV series. But it is in Russian. Maybe you can find subtitles in English. It is superb. About a group of four women fighting environment to carve out space to be themselves.

Cream Gravy?

Moderator: DC, F&TV, PD
Staff member
Shutter Island (2010)

Scorsese tries to do what Christopher Nolan did so much better before him. Great acting from DiCaprio, but a one watch film. Mild references to things Scorsese probably doesn't know shit about. He needs to stick to gangster flicks and documentaries... Hugo and Shutter Island.... so meh.

Good enough to sit through once, then the ending really just rips any reviewability out of it.

6/10

Les Diaboliques (1955)

I always think back on pre-60s America/the West as being very... Victorian, uptight I guess you could say. This French film helped to dash those thoughts along with some Alfred Hitchcock films I've watched recently.

A wife and a mistress conspire to kill their mutual lover... only things do not go quite as planned. Very plot-twisty and worth the two hour run time. Cinematography was gorgeous all things considered. I can see why this film has stood the test of time.

Not gonna blow the film by telling y'all the twists, suffice to say it's like an early Nolan film, but 40+ years before he ever even conceived the concept of making a movie.

8/10

Gran Torino ( 2008 )

A grumpy, racist old man with PTSD from his time in Korea gets used to having neighbors from South Vietnam. He learns that his racist ways are wrong through... getting to know his neighbors? Woah!

It bothered me how much I identified with Eastwood's character though. I guess I'm sorta a 'stay off my fuckin' lawn' type but it doesn't matter to me what color you are... stay off my lawn!

Pandering and meandering, the film wasn't engrossing but was enjoyable enough to watch once.

5/10

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
Guns Akimbo (2019) - 4.5 Dick Shots - really enjoyed this! With Daniel Radcliffe and Samara Weaving. Super impressed with her atm, this is the 6th movie I've seen her in and they've all been really good. You could describe this movie as Scott Pilgrim meets The Running Man. It's actually better going in to it not knowing much about the plot, but definitely give it a watch, it's really fun.

Having just watched this per the comments in this thread, the "4.5 Dick Shots" makes a lot more sense.

I'm afraid I probably didn't approach this with the right mindset. First half watched one evening while playing on my phone, second as I was distracted surfing sites like this one. It came off like a game, which makes sense given the context, but I wasn't able to enjoy the humor as much as I'm sure they intended (blame my distractedness). Samara Weaving was a nice watch, and Radcliffe as our lead held his own very well. But the rest...meh. I'd give the depth of story about a 3/10, but the action and explosions help raise the score. Being in a right mindframe and giving the film the attention it deserved would help it more. I'll end it with a 6.5/10 but not much more. Colorful, fun romp with a decent attempt at a storyline without making you invest a lot of yourself into any of it.

Zephyn

Bluelighter
Judas and the black messiah. Very well done. I hope it revitalizes black activists and re-educates some of the youth, (other than the violence). I found it really interesting they had confederate folks as part of the rainbow coalition- awesome to hear about that sort of solidarity among the poor and working class, not to mention the unity of dueling street gangs. Wish we had that kind of unity today.

Also, glad it painted the narc in the pussilanimous light he deserves rather than how he was portrayed in earlier films

D-A-W-G

Bluelighter
Mom and Dad.

It's a UK movie, I highly recommend it. NOT the one with Nicholas Cage & Selma Blair.

Burnt Offerings

Bluelighter
^ I agree, I thought that was a pretty good one too.

It's a pretty dark movie, though, so unless you're into weird dark shit, I wouldn't recommend it necessarily. With that being said, for a low-budget horror film, it was definitely above-average...I was impressed particularly by the performances in it, as I remember (haven't seen it in a while)...the "mom and dad" villains were great, as was the actress who played the film's protagonist

D-A-W-G

Bluelighter
^ I agree, I thought that was a pretty good one too.

It's a pretty dark movie, though, so unless you're into weird dark shit, I wouldn't recommend it necessarily. With that being said, for a low-budget horror film, it was definitely above-average...I was impressed particularly by the performances in it, as I remember (haven't seen it in a while)...the "mom and dad" villains were great, as was the actress who played the film's protagonist

I thought I was the only one who has seen it. You're right it is a pretty dark movie, and unless you're into weird dark shit I would recommend it lol.

"I'm mom, "He's dad"

"ahhhh that is smashing"

ghostfreak

Moderator: DC
Staff member
Just watched Shook on Shudder:

Have always liked these social media type films.

Anyway this was an effective wee ‘Unfriended’ type horror. Basic scares, twist, enjoyed it.

Available to stream on Shudder.

Last edited:

Cream Gravy?

Staff member
Melancholia (2011)

This is the only Lars von Trier film I've ever seen.

To be quite frank, it was terrible. It was a boring ass film. It dragged. I really came to hate Kirsten Dunst's character. It wasn't even sci-fi. The ending played at the beginning. The characters were self absorbed, loathsome. And to be honest, it didn't even really leave an impression on me; my wife had to remind me what I had watched a mere few hours later.

Dunst has gorgeous breasts though. Quite the babe.

4/10 (at least it was aesthetically pleasing, and the Wagner soundtrack wasn't bad)

Carnage (2011)

Roman Polanski finally achieves what he's been so keen on doing all these years; at 75, he finally figured it out. Christoph Waltz, Kate Winslet, Jody Foster, and John C. Reilly are the only four actors in this amazingly apt film about neighbors and parenthood. The film takes place entirely in one small apartment in New York (well done CGI in the windows, way better than Polanski's 90s New York in The Ninth Gate heh), capturing the essence of so many of his prior films, but doing it so much better.

It's humorous, true to life, fast paced (80 minutes!), and an entertaining study of cramped society and parental pride. I laughed heartily throughout.

8/10

Last edited:

birdup.snaildown

Bluelighter
Possessor (2020 / Brandon Cronenberg)

Cronenberg Jr.'s second feature length film is much better than his first. Unfortunately, the plot doesn't make a lot of sense and there is too much gore for the sake of gore... but Possessor has a lot of other stuff going for it.

7/10

Freaky (2020)

You know those body-swap films from the 90's where a father and son are put in each other's bodies and they have to live a day in the life of the other person. This is a slasher body-swap film. Vince Vaughn (a brutal murderer) swaps with a young girl.

It's a great concept, but it doesn't work as well as it should. Vince does a good/bad impersonation of a girl. The casting is good. But, there's a particular scene with Vaughn in a car that should have been cut. You will know it when you see it.

6/10

Kaden_Nite

Bluelight Crew
This is the only Lars von Trier film I've ever seen.

To be quite frank, it was terrible. It was a boring ass film. It dragged. I really came to hate Kirsten Dunst's character. It wasn't even sci-fi. The ending played at the beginning. The characters were self absorbed, loathsome. And to be honest, it didn't even really leave an impression on me; my wife had to remind me what I had watched a mere few hours later.
Agreed, terrible film. The Kirsten Dunst / Pacey from Dawson's Creek episode of The Outer Limits was much better (there is some similarity in terms of story). It's called Music Of The Spheres if you're interested.

Aside from Kirsten Dunst moon tanning, melancholia sucked and I would recommend staring at a blank screen over watching it.

Upside Down was really good. Two worlds with opposing gravitational fields, one wealthy, the other a ghetto whose inhabitants are downtrodden by those 'up top'. Looks good, very dreamlike in concept and appearance. Dark in all the right places, but rich in colour at times too. Has this blueish 'modern French' look I like.

Also Kirsten Dunst.

Cream Gravy?

Staff member
The Outer Limits was much better (there is some similarity in terms of story). It's called Music Of The Spheres if you're interested
Probably did watch it, I binged through the 90s reboot last year when it was all on Prime.

Dunst's boobs really were the only part of that film worth watching lol

deficiT

Moderator: DC, TDS, NSADD
Staff member
It's not episode 8 that caught flack from me... it's episodes 7, 8, and 9 lol.

They were utter shite and as a devout Star Wars fan I just pretend they didn't happen. They can't even reboot/remake them because most of the actors have already declared they wouldn't return to Star Wars. Most embarrassing reboot ever...
I hear that. I just disagree. To me there was nothing about them that was really even a true departure from the films that were previously released. All of it was par for the course for a Star Wars movie. They probably could've had a better story but imo it's of a similar quality to any other Star Wars.

Reactions: D's

birdup.snaildown

Bluelighter
deficiT said:
They probably could've had a better story but imo it's of a similar quality to any other Star Wars.

No. The films didn't even work together to form a coherent overall narrative arc across the trilogy. The plots of the films were either derivative or incomprehensible. The emperor is alive now? Seriously?

The sequel trilogy sucked. If you think they were about the same quality as the original, you fail to see the quality of the original films.

deficiT

Moderator: DC, TDS, NSADD
Staff member
No. The films didn't even work together to form a coherent overall narrative arc across the trilogy. The plots of the films were either derivative or incomprehensible. The emperor is alive now? Seriously?

The sequel trilogy sucked. If you think they were about the same quality as the original, you fail to see the quality of the original films.
Dude it's a space opera. I don't see what's so hard to understand about the plot lol... it's a crew of characters getting into adventures and battling evil. It's really not that serious. Star Wars is light hearted and meant to be enjoyed, it's not Oscar worthy filmmaking.

Dawg don't you question how much I like Star Wars I've been watching the shit since I was a child.