⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderator: Cream Gravy?
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Anonymous Dissident

Bluelighter
"Doctor Sleep" Directors Cut

It's a little on the long side (about 3 hours), but it is really good for a book adaptation. The movie is actually pretty damn good. Its definitely not on the level of "The Shining", but it's one of the best Stephen King film adaptations made to date. It also sticks very close to the book, which isn't especially common. Definitely worth watching, especially if you liked the book. 4/5

Anonymous Dissident

Bluelighter
How about if you haven't gotten to reading the book?
Its probably still worth watching, theres plenty of references to The Shining so it shouldn't be hard to follow. The directors cut is about half an hour longer, with the majority of the additional content being more allusions to the backstory of Dan Torrence.

BK38

Bluelighter
I watched "In The Loop" (2009) and I thought it was hilarious. It is political satire at its finest in my opinion. It is biting, cynical, absurd and shows the ridiculous power plays, silly in-fighting, immaturity and spin involved in modern politics. It is quite clearly, in some ways, drawing parallels to the Iraq War and the trumped up intel used to justify invasion. It is distinctly British humor in terms of the lethal dripping sarcasm and absurdity of it all. Some of the best insults I've heard in a long time too. It focuses on a bumbling British Minister and his entourage and how he gets completely entangled in Washington politics and gets in way over his head; becoming a pawn between different American and British political factions. Definitely worth a watch if you want a good laugh. 8.5/10

Last edited:

Cream Gravy?

Moderator: DC, F&TV, PD
Staff member
Serpico (1973)

Decent movie, classic and oft referenced, but slow. Could have been half an hour shorter and still been as good of a film.

7/10

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

I really quite enjoyed this Coen brothers movie, and it really showed Oscar Issac's acting chops. I'm not much for folk music though, and despite the quality acting of the many stars they had, I just couldn't love it. Only worth the one watch in my opinion, but still a good film just to see how versatile Issac is as an actor.

7.5/10

Trees Lounge (1996)

Written, directed, and starring Steve Buscemi, this was an odd film. Not sure exactly what the point of it was. Seemed to be some slightly dark commentary on the way life can just shit on you sometimes, or how life in the 'burbs is just kinda pointless and nihilistic feeling. I enjoyed it, but again, another film I'd only watch the one time.

6.5/10

Last edited:

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner

Project Power was so damn good. Didn’t think it would be as good as it was. It’s nearly 2 hours but it flies in as there’s constant action and quite an interesting story.
Watched it recently as well. Decent film. I'm still trying to understand Foxx's ambition, given he hit it out of the park with Ray (Charles) and this feels like him just having a bit of fun. The story itself though, good and worth the watch, IMO.

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
Wish I Was Here (2014) <Netfilx>

Written by Zach & Adam Braff, Directed by Zach, Starring Zach...but it's decent. You'll recognize him, and his wife, and the grandpa...but that may be it.

Central character is a father figure in California named Aidan Bloom. A struggling actor, married to an office working wife (Kate Hudson), with two kids (daughter about 12, son about 8). The main story pivots around him coming to terms with his life, a moment brought on by his father being diagnosed with late stage cancer. Grandpa was funding the kids' private Jewish school and no longer can as his funds will go for treatment. So, Aidan is confronted by his wife to send them to public school (he is scarred from his experience and can't allow it) or start home schooling = at least, that's the line they advertise with. There's more dynamics with the wife hating her job, but doing it to support the family and his 'dream' of acting that isn't going well at all. Wrap in Aidan's brother who hasn't talked to their dad in a year due to father-brother each believing the other hates them while Aidan plays middle man. There ya go, that's pretty much the story. Now, the delivery, is better than the train wreck I described. The writing has a lot of really good humor in it, particularly lines given to the kids (young son asks if they are going to bury grandpa in the yard with Whiskers); and a lot of Jewish references which plays quite well regardless of your beliefs. There's also a lot of good emotion in it as we see the husband(dreamer)-wife(fed up supporting), grandfather-son-brother, and even the wife-grandpa dynamics play out towards grandpa's eventual demise. Along the way, the kids are aware, but not bludgeoned with the situation. All in all, not a bad date film if you don't mind a sobbing partner at the end.

SnafuInTheVoid

Bluelighter
I just rewatched "The Rock" (1996) starring Nicolas Cage, Sean Connery and Ed Harris. It's really easy to see why big blockbuster type action movies like this springboarded a director like Michael Bay to the ultra big leagues. It's a silly movie, but you can't help but get a little pumped. It's about a group of renegade marines that steal some chemical weapons and take over the Alcatraz prison complex to blackmail reparations out of the US government (for fallen soldiers involved in Black Ops). Nicolas Cage, Sean Connery and a Seal Team are dispatched to neutralize the threat. That's it. That's the whole plot, but you don't watch a movie like this for the plot. The cheesy one-liners like "You're the rocket!" and "I'd take pleasure in guttin you, boy" just add to the charm. The action is, in typical Michael Bay fashion, completely over the top and really is show stopping. I think the casting was good for this kind of cheese-fest and the film's score is instantly recognizable with Ed Harris' performance of particular note. It's a total guilty pleasure movie, just like Con Air. It doesn't take itself to seriously, but it is a fun romp. 6.5/10

I loved this movie when I was a kid. Thought it was badass. Rewatched it as an adult after living in SF/bay and going to alcatraz (the rock) a few times I just had to laugh at how ridiculous this movie is. Somehow that trailer makes it look even more ridiculous. It's almost hard to take Nicolas Cage and Sean Connery serious during the film, like they almost wanted to make it a comedy. Definitely cheesy in a way and the plot is kinda a stretch but it's still a classic 90s action movie. Almost want to watch it again now.

"Alcatraz has been ripped up and changed for years. Underneath there is a maze of shit".... yeah... no it was built once, on a fucking rock in the middle of a huge ocean bay. Why the fuck would there be tunnels down there? It's a TINY island. Oh well, I get too cynical when watching movies. sigh

Last edited:

Anonymous Dissident

Bluelighter
"The Girl With All The Gifts"

Definitely a unique addition to the zombie canon. Very different from the vast majority of zombie films. I liked the movie overall, but, as with most movies in this genre, it didn't do a good job of explaining the origins of the fungus that created the "hungries" and the "abortions". The ending is fitting and almost poetic. Recommended if you enjoy thoughtful horror movies. 7/10.

BK38

Bluelighter

Project Power was so damn good. Didn’t think it would be as good as it was. It’s nearly 2 hours but it flies in as there’s constant action and quite an interesting story.
Yeah, I just watched it, thought it was pretty decent. A lot better than I expected too. I really like the animal angle, I thought that was pretty sweet. I felt like they could've given the bad guys more character development though, they just kinda felt like your generic bad guys. Maybe I'm nitpicking though.

Last edited:

Cream Gravy?

Moderator: DC, F&TV, PD
Staff member

I really fucking love this movie. Probably 4th time I've watched it. Makes me want to get really coked up and put on an eye patch for some reason
The original (Escape from New York) was better imo, but I enjoy almost all John Carpenter movies anyways. My wife and I watched Assault on Precinct 13 on our first date and have been fans of his shitty films ever since. I love how he has a hand in the bland yet apt soundtracks usually lol.

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
The original (Escape from New York) was better imo, but I enjoy almost all John Carpenter movies anyways. My wife and I watched Assault on Precinct 13 on our first date and have been fans of his shitty films ever since.
Esc from NY was great, but perhaps my fav from that era-group-genre-whatever was Big Trouble in Little China. Pure awesome fiction with a light covering of cheese. So wish they would have made a sequel. I heard The Rock is working on a sequel (since 2018) so we'll have to see if it happens, and how true to form it might be. Damn, I need to go back and watch that one again.

Never saw Precinct 13. I may have to go check that out.