⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderator: Cream Gravy?
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Sleepaway Camp - 5 stars - like my twentieth viewing or something. Never not amazing. From the hilariously awful acting in the first ten minutes to the grizzly deaths to THAT twist ending, everything about this movie is brilliant. Sleepaway Camp is an 80's slasher movie set at a summer camp, but trust me this is not your average by-the-numbers-slasher. After her dad and brother die in a boating accident of which she is the only survivor, 14-year-old Angela and her cousin Ricky leave for Camp Arawak together. Angela is extremely shy ("she's just quiet is all" "if she were any quieter she'd be dead") and is bullied by other campers, particularly Camp Councillor Meg and Cabin Mate Judy. Angela reacts to the abuse by staring silently while Ricky gets enraged and protective of her. And for once the teenages in this movie are (shock of all shocks for an American movie!!) played by ACTUAL teenagers. I'm not even giving anything else away here, just fucking watch it.
Starting a Top Quote feature for movies I review.
TQ:
Bill: Eat shit and die, Ricky
Ricky: Eat shit and LIVE, Bill

BK38

Bluelighter
Baby Driver is great, watched it soon after release and a couple times since.

Most recent film I watched was The Gentlemen (2019) and it is fucking brilliant. I reckon you guys would love it, especially any Brits here. In fact I should go rave about it on EADD, I'm sure a few there have seen it already.

Similar vibes to Layer Cake, Snatch, and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. One of those gritty British gangster films that also has you cracking up laughing.

Plot revolves around a high level dealer with a huge weed empire trying to sell it and retire. Other gangs try to get in and nick it. Hijinks ensue.

Very clever film with twists and turns as well, not just a stupid action movie.

Seriously, go watch it, preferably in 4K HDR.
Just watched the Gentleman. Solid Guy Ritchie film and done in his trademark woven narrative fashion. 8.5/10

I saw the movie Whiplash recently, and I really enjoyed it! J.K. Simmons is perfect playing a Nazi community jazz music director. As a long time drummer, I really wished I had a teacher that gave me PTSD and militantly taught me drums. I’d probably be a lot better at them if a Nazi fucker tortured me?

Great movie 9/10

—Wizard

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
Baby Driver is great, watched it soon after release and a couple times since.

Most recent film I watched was The Gentlemen (2019) and it is fucking brilliant. I reckon you guys would love it, especially any Brits here. In fact I should go rave about it on EADD, I'm sure a few there have seen it already.

Similar vibes to Layer Cake, Snatch, and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. One of those gritty British gangster films that also has you cracking up laughing.

Plot revolves around a high level dealer with a huge weed empire trying to sell it and retire. Other gangs try to get in and nick it. Hijinks ensue.

Very clever film with twists and turns as well, not just a stupid action movie.

Seriously, go watch it, preferably in 4K HDR.
Just watched the Gentleman. Solid Guy Ritchie film and done in his trademark woven narrative fashion. 8.5/10
Gave it a whirl for the weekend, among other things.

The Gentlemen (2019)

Up to expectations for a Guy Ritchie film. With lead Mathew M as a weed king of England who built the empire from nothing and is now looking to sell and retire. Word gets out a bit, competitors look to make moves, and we have a clever quick paced story unfolding a bit at a time filled with a colorful array of characters. Not too quick that you get lost at all, put in a few good twists, add in some good supporting cast (Colin Farrel as coach is nicely done). The only bit that threw me was I'm not used to watching an Asian actor with an English accent, but you get used to it. The wife was great too. If you liked his other films, you'll love this. Even if you aren't familiar with his other films, this will entertain. 8/10.

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
Wind River (2017)

Jeremy Renner plays a Fish&WIldlife officer in Wyoming tracking a lion that's been killing livestock when he discovers a dead girl on an Indian Reservation. In comes Elizabeth Olsen as an FBI agent quickly in over her head, relying on Renner for both tracking and general survival. The story itself moves slow, but doesn't feel like a drag as it's building the sense of life on the reservation and dealing with life in Wyoming. Olsen's role bothered me a bit, given I'm not used to her being so overwhelmed, but she carries it well enough. Renner truly carries the film, both in bringing the human connection to the locals and in protecting Olsen. Closing note gives the feel of a social message about the reservations, and everything leading up to that paints life on the reservation as hard without overstating it. Story moves along with beautiful scenery, realistic, even up to the introduction of a handful of late introduction characters halfway thru to give us a final act. It didn't stick out in any particular way, just carried thru and delivered. Though, I never have an issue witching Ms. Olsen. 7/10

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
The Aviator (2004)

A young Leonardo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes, runs nearly 3h in length. Iirc, it wasn't all that well received at the time. Yes, a cinematic opus, but considered too long at the time. Having watched it, I have to agree. It went to great depth to explore the life and mind of Hughes, as a child of wealth looking to make his mark on the world - through film, through industry. He's shown as someone stubborn, wanting what he wants, but also a man coming apart through is own OCD afflictions and inability to truly trust the world his eyes and ears are bringing him. Aeronautical genius, to the point of failing arrogance. Desperate for a person to connect to, to trust, and unable to be such a person himself. Leo does the role very well throughout. There is a bit of romance with Kate Hepburn (Cate Blanchett), and friendship, through which she does her role quite well. I am sitting here with 35min left, and I"m wishing this was over. Maybe if someone was a Leo fan, or a Hughes fan, maybe they'd enjoy it. Despite a fistful of known actors doing well at their roles, I just can't recommend this one. Ok, movie is over - last hour has been him just being a crazy recluse mixed with a brief bit of him fighting back against Senate hearings. Less than meh. 3/10.

TheLoveBandit

Co-Owner
Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

I'd never seen it, but wanted to someday. Story, for those that don't know, is Brad & Janet get engaged following their friend's wedding, and head off to meet an old professor friend. Along the way, they get a flat tire, wander to the nearest house in the middle of nowhere, get taken in and lost in a never ending parade of songs all hosted by Tim Curry as Dr. Frank N Furter. This happens to be the special anniversary night, Dr. has made a monster (named Rocky Horror), we have a slight interruption with Meatloaf busting out of cold storage to sing a song and get killed. Guests leave, Brad & Janet stay in separate rooms, and while I won't spoil things further, I'll say corruption abounds thanks to the Dr. We wrap up with more songs and a big face off between the Maid&Butler (brother and sister) vs Dr., from which Brad & Janet get released and some head back home to their planet of Transexual Transylvania. I came away expecting something worse, hoping for something better, but at least able to say I've seen it now. 6/10.

I'd still go see what the live performance is like for those theaters that had midnight showings with audience participation-acting_out. Again, to say I've been. Whenever theaters open again, and if they still do that.

schizopath

Bluelighter
Wind River (2017)

Jeremy Renner plays a Fish&WIldlife officer in Wyoming tracking a lion that's been killing livestock when he discovers a dead girl on an Indian Reservation. In comes Elizabeth Olsen as an FBI agent quickly in over her head, relying on Renner for both tracking and general survival. The story itself moves slow, but doesn't feel like a drag as it's building the sense of life on the reservation and dealing with life in Wyoming. Olsen's role bothered me a bit, given I'm not used to her being so overwhelmed, but she carries it well enough. Renner truly carries the film, both in bringing the human connection to the locals and in protecting Olsen. Closing note gives the feel of a social message about the reservations, and everything leading up to that paints life on the reservation as hard without overstating it. Story moves along with beautiful scenery, realistic, even up to the introduction of a handful of late introduction characters halfway thru to give us a final act. It didn't stick out in any particular way, just carried thru and delivered. Though, I never have an issue witching Ms. Olsen. 7/10
A rather low score. I found this film to be an instant classic.

Cream Gravy?

Moderator: DC, F&TV, PD
Staff member
The Aviator (2004)

A young Leonardo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes, runs nearly 3h in length. Iirc, it wasn't all that well received at the time. Yes, a cinematic opus, but considered too long at the time. Having watched it, I have to agree. It went to great depth to explore the life and mind of Hughes, as a child of wealth looking to make his mark on the world - through film, through industry. He's shown as someone stubborn, wanting what he wants, but also a man coming apart through is own OCD afflictions and inability to truly trust the world his eyes and ears are bringing him. Aeronautical genius, to the point of failing arrogance. Desperate for a person to connect to, to trust, and unable to be such a person himself. Leo does the role very well throughout. There is a bit of romance with Kate Hepburn (Cate Blanchett), and friendship, through which she does her role quite well. I am sitting here with 35min left, and I"m wishing this was over. Maybe if someone was a Leo fan, or a Hughes fan, maybe they'd enjoy it. Despite a fistful of known actors doing well at their roles, I just can't recommend this one. Ok, movie is over - last hour has been him just being a crazy recluse mixed with a brief bit of him fighting back against Senate hearings. Less than meh. 3/10.
Easily one of Scorsese's most boring films, topped only by his recent failure of a film, The Irishman (imo).

Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

I'd never seen it, but wanted to someday. Story, for those that don't know, is Brad & Janet get engaged following their friend's wedding, and head off to meet an old professor friend. Along the way, they get a flat tire, wander to the nearest house in the middle of nowhere, get taken in and lost in a never ending parade of songs all hosted by Tim Curry as Dr. Frank N Furter. This happens to be the special anniversary night, Dr. has made a monster (named Rocky Horror), we have a slight interruption with Meatloaf busting out of cold storage to sing a song and get killed. Guests leave, Brad & Janet stay in separate rooms, and while I won't spoil things further, I'll say corruption abounds thanks to the Dr. We wrap up with more songs and a big face off between the Maid&Butler (brother and sister) vs Dr., from which Brad & Janet get released and some head back home to their planet of Transexual Transylvania. I came away expecting something worse, hoping for something better, but at least able to say I've seen it now. 6/10.

I'd still go see what the live performance is like for those theaters that had midnight showings with audience participation-acting_out. Again, to say I've been. Whenever theaters open again, and if they still do that.
I agree, it's not a great film. Something only worth seeing live with the people performing and a full audience. Love Susan Sarandon in it though heh.

The live audience is really what makes it a cult classic. Without the performance, it's just... weird lol.

Cream Gravy?

Staff member
A rather low score. I found this film to be an instant classic.
It was a decent film, but the same director's prior work (Hell or High Water) was much better. But perhaps I don't enjoy 'dark' films as much. The rape and senseless killing... I couldn't stomach it.

BK38

Bluelighter
I re-watched "Arrival" (2016). It's a Sci-fi film and I think it's just brilliant. I really like the intrigue side of Sci-fi and trying to figure things out (as opposed to just non-stop action) and this is very much what the film is about. I think it really is masterful in terms of making us examine language, time, unity, memory and even the human experience itself. The only thing that I thought was maybe a little off was the initial pacing; it feels like it takes a long time to really get into the thick of the plot, but also, this was my fourth time watching it, so maybe I just wanted to get to the proverbial "meat" faster. It's one of those films that you really need to pay attention to and there are so many awesome little details that make so much sense when you "get" what's going on in a massive woosh of epiphany. I rarely watch a sci-fi film four times, but this is one that I keep coming back to. I'm being deliberately vague as I don't want to spoil it, but watch it if you get the chance! 9.5/10

Last edited:

CFC

Tech Support
I Spit On Your Grave 3 (2015)

Described as rape/revenge horror. It had a much weaker plot than the previous two films and was considerably less gory and much less 'revenge' focused. The film didn't really lead anywhere and had a pretty disappointing conclusion. Entertaining enough to watch through, but I'd not recommend unless you're particularly bored.

5/10

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I Spit On Your Grave 3 (2015)

Described as rape/revenge horror. It had a much weaker plot than the previous two films and was considerably less gory and much less 'revenge' focused. The film didn't really lead anywhere and had a pretty disappointing conclusion. Entertaining enough to watch through, but I'd not recommend unless you're particularly bored.

5/10
I found it SO disappointing! Especially after the first two.
I feel like it ruined the memory of Jennifer Hills.

Reactions: CFC

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
MAJOR SPOILERS FOR SLEEPAWAY CAMP. PLEASE DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET.

Sleepaway Camp 2 - 5 dead campers out of 5 - Angela is back! 5 years have passed and she has now been released from a mental institution (where she was also given a sex change). This movie is very, very different in tone to the first being a comedy-horror. Angela is a councillor now at Camp Rolling Hills where she beings killing off the bad campers (and there aren't many good ones!). Fun slasher with a high body count. Mostly creative death scenes.
Top Quotes:

Angela (after stabbing Ally): Get up. Get up! Get in there! (throws Ally into the outhouse)
Angela: What's down there? Answer me!
Ally: Shit!
Angela: That right, one of your favourite words. Mind if I borrow it for a minute? You've been a shitty friend and a shitty camper. What else is down there? Answer me!
Ally: Piss!
Angela: You've pissed away your good looks and God-given talent your whole life and turned it into nothing but a cynical dirty mouth waste of flesh! What else is down there?
Ally: I dunno!
Angela: Well, then, I guess you're just going to have to climb in and find out....(drowning Ally in the toilet): Leaches, Ally! For a leach like you!
Angela: You should have been the first to go

Angela (at the end, closing the door to the abandoned cabin full of victims) Night night, Campers!

Sleepaway Camp 3 - 4 mutilated corpses - Filmed back-to-back with part 2 but set one year later. This time Angela is posing as a teenage camper at Camp New Horizons where there are 6 rich kids and 6 kids from the slums being "brought together for an "experiment in sharing and caring". Most slashers have at least a few likeable characters to root for but in this movie everybody sucks and by the 20 minutes mark, you're just waiting for Angela to kill off all these assholes. This movie suffers from being BUTCHERED by the MPAA. Most of the uncut deaths are on the DVD but as a special feature, not in the actual movie.
TQ:
Angela: Are you a cheerleader?
Cindy: Yes
Angela: Are you a virgin?
Cindy: No!
Angela: Do you use drugs?
Cindy: Doesn't everybody?
Angela: Strike three!
[later]
Cindy: Why are you doing this?!
Angela: Because you're a cheerleader, a fornicator, a drug user, a nasty racist bigot...and besides that, you're real nice!

Cream Gravy?

Staff member
Watched a lot of movies recently but been too depressed to write anything, but two more recent ones are as follows:

The Conversation (1974)

This one stars a lot of F.F.C.'s mainstay actors who ended up in The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, etc. and it was a fantastic film. A thriller of sorts, Gene Hackman plays a N.S.A. style freelancer spook who slowly devolves into paranoid lunacy, all over a conversation he pieces together. Great film. Would definitely give it another watch.

8/10

The Queen (2006)

Decent piece about Queen Elizabeth and how she handled the death of Princess Diana. It was a bit boring, though considering the subject matter, it was well acted and visually enjoyable. Worth a watch if you've got nothing better to do. Princess Di passed when I was fairly young so I don't have any connection to why people were even remotely upset when she died, but I still liked the film. Starring Helen Mirren and a myriad of other good English actors.

7/10

Reactions: CFC