• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What's the closest alternative to zolpidem/ambien?

vekkersc

Greenlighter
I've been on Zolpidem (Stilnox) on and off for about 4 months now, and my tolerance to it has gone up quite a bit. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on the most similar drug that is a bit stronger, so I won't have to keep taking 3 to 4 pills for each night's sleep.

I talked to my psychiatrist about it, and he prescribed me Diazepam, but that doesn't work for me at all, even at 25mg on my first time taking it. Does anyone know of any drug that is as close to Zolpidem as possible? Thanks!

Zopiclone is the closest alternative to zolpidem, as it's in the same class of drug (the so-called "Z-drugs"). Other than that, hypnotic benzos would be the second closest. Diazepam has pretty mild hypnotic properties, which is probably why you don't find it very effective as a sleeping pill. Try asking your doc for temazepam or something similar if you can't get zopiclone.

Sonata (Zaleplon) felt very similar to Zolpidem for me. Both are sleep aids, and by the names I am guessing that they are both "Z" drugs, but that is just a guess.

Like I said, I have taken both, and felt pretty much the same effects.

4 months means yes you'll have rebound with insomnia, but it shouldn't last too long

it's yours and your doc's call and everything (docs don't always have the data BL has eaten and digested into easily readable text, they often prescribe long term when data shows it's unnecessary and maybe counterpoductive long term) but i wonder if continuing that pattern is sustainable. there are sleep aides that don't work on gaba

i have insomnia too and know how much it sucks. hope you get it sorted

there are sleep aides that don't work on gaba

That's true. I have insomnia (quite severe insomnia) and I use Seroquel to help me sleep each night. I had been on Z-drugs and hypnotic benzos for years, and became too tolerant to them. They aren't very sustainable for long-term use.

Thanks for the replies.

I see you all mentioned Zopiclone.. I looked up on it for a bit, and I noticed it is a benzo, like diazepam. Since diazepam had no effect at all, would that mean it might be the same case with Zopiclone, since it's also a benzo?

About the hypnotic effects of Zolpidem, you nailed it, that's exactly what knocks me right out.

That's true. I have insomnia (quite severe insomnia) and I use Seroquel to help me sleep each night. I had been on Z-drugs and hypnotic benzos for years, and became too tolerant to them. They aren't very sustainable for long-term use.

Is Seroquel at all like Zolpidem, in how it acts on you?

^ No, zopiclone isn't a benzo. It's classed as a non-benzodiazepine, or a "Z-drug". They work similar to hypnotic benzos but are chemically different. Seroquel is an anti-psychotic, so that's entirely different. At doses up to 100-200mg's it acts as a sedative. A strong sedative, I might add. Seroquel is classed as a major tranquiliser, while benzos and Z-drugs are classed as minor tranquilisers.

Last edited:
^ No, zopiclone isn't a benzo. It's classed as a non-benzodiazepine, or a "Z-drug".

They work similar to hypnotic benzos but are chemically quite different.

Ah, my bad, I must have looked at some wrong info.

Between Sonata (Zaleplon) and Zopiclone, which would be best? I also heard there is some cross tolerance between Zolpidem and the other Z drugs, including Zopiclone.. :\

Ah, my bad, I must have looked at some wrong info.

Between Sonata (Zaleplon) and Zopiclone, which would be best? I also heard there is some cross tolerance between Zolpidem and the other Z drugs, including Zopiclone.. :\

I have heard that Zaleplon is pretty weak compared to Zopiclone & Zolpidem but I haven't tried Zaleplon so I can't really comment on that.

I have always had good success with Zopiclone and for me it always worked better than most hypnotic benzo's.

There could be cross-tolerance between all the Z-drugs as well as benzos since they essentially work with very similar mechanisms. The two closest drugs to zolpidem are zaleplon (Sonata) and zopiclone (Imovane, Zopinox, various others). They are nonbenzodiazepine hypnotics; they will help you fall asleep but not stay asleep. At larger doses they may cause delirium-like hallucinations.

I haven't tried zaleplon. Both zolpidem and zopiclone work for me for a few days but quickly lose their effectiveness. Also, you may want to consider the fact that zopiclone will leave an absolutely foul taste reminiscent of rust in your mouth for the next day, making eating breakfast an unpleasant experience to say the least.

I've been on Zolpidem (Stilnox) on and off for about 4 months now, and my tolerance to it has gone up quite a bit. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on the most similar drug that is a bit stronger, so I won't have to keep taking 3 to 4 pills for each night's sleep.

I talked to my psychiatrist about it, and he prescribed me Diazepam, but that doesn't work for me at all, even at 25mg on my first time taking it. Does anyone know of any drug that is as close to Zolpidem as possible? Thanks!

I don't have a clue why he gave you Diazepam for sleep unless he wanted you to take 40mg+ and then sleep for 15 hours, even then you'd wake up feeling like cotton wool :\

He should have given you something like Temazepam or another Hypnotic Benzo.
Other than that, Zopiclone was a good suggestion (but you may find that it gives you a horrible metallic taste for the whole next day afterward) as was Zaleplon (never tried this myself either but it's on a similar tip to Zolpidem).

But, if you want to get your tolerance to GABA acting hypnotics down then something like Diphenhydramine, Hydroxyzine, Promethazine, Doxylamine (all Antihistamines) or Melatonin (produced naturally by your brain when darkness falls) would be good alternatives :)

Last edited:
He should have given you something like Temazepam or another Hypnotic Benzo.
Other than that, Zopiclone was a good suggestion (but you may find that it gives you a horrible metallic taste for the whole next day afterward) as was Zaleplon (never tried this myself either but it's on a similar tip to Zolpidem).

But, if you want to get your tolerance to GABA acting hypnotics down then something like Diphenhydramine, Hydroxyzine, Promethazine, Doxylamine (all Antihistamines) or Melatonin (produced naturally by your brain when darkness falls) would be good alternatives

I do have mirtazapine, which is an anti-histamine. It used to make me fall asleep pretty quickly, but nowadays it's more of a hit-or-miss. You mentioned that a hypnotic benzo might have been an alternative. Have you ever had any experience with them? Is Temazepam at all like Zolpidem, and would the fact that Diazepam didn't have any effect on me mean that other benzos might not work either? I ask this because these drugs usually cost a lot of money, and I've lost count of how much I've spent on drugs that didn't end up working.

OP,

Try nitrazepam. It's a benzo (a very effective one too).

Its an excellent drug to have around, deals with all the anxiety etc . And its also prescribd as a sleeping aid

'The doc should be OK prescribing it to you as long as you're not on any other strong sedative

I do have mirtazapine, which is an anti-histamine. It used to make me fall asleep pretty quickly, but nowadays it's more of a hit-or-miss. You mentioned that a hypnotic benzo might have been an alternative. Have you ever had any experience with them? Is Temazepam at all like Zolpidem, and would the fact that Diazepam didn't have any effect on me mean that other benzos might not work either? I ask this because these drugs usually cost a lot of money, and I've lost count of how much I've spent on drugs that didn't end up working.

Mirtazapine is an antidepressant with sedative properties. If you don't want another Z-drug, get a hypnotic benzo, more sedating than diazepam, like temazepam or nitrazepam for example.

EDIT: Hypnotic benzos have always worked the best for me. Mirtazapine, zopiclone, zolpidem haven't worked all that well. Cannabis works wonders, but in terms of pharms, hypnotic benzos. Diazepam is not as sedating as some others, so maybe try out temazepam or nitrazepam. They are unlike the Z-drugs in that they have longer periods of action (Z-drugs only work for a couple hours, you may wake up again at night) and I have found them to be much more potent. Tolerance develops to their hypnotic effects, but in my experience, nowhere near as quickly as to Z-drugs.

Last edited:
Have you tried Lunesta? I'm pretty certain that's the closest sleep medication to Ambien.

As the others have said, get Temazepam, it's very effective as a sleeping aid.