• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What's the best ADD/ADHD medicine?

Ds

Bluelight Crew
Ok so here's my list, tell me what you think is the best out of them? your top 3.

ADDERALL
AMPHETAMINE SALTS COMBO XR
CONCERTA
DEXMETHYLPHENIDATE HCL
DEXTROAMPHETAMINE SULFATE
FOCALIN
METADATE CD
METHYLIN
METHYLIN CHEWABLE
METHYLPHENIDATE HYDROCHLORIDE
METHYLPHENIDATE HYDROCHLORIDE CR
RITALIN
RITALIN SR
VYVANSE

Thank you!!!

You missed strattera, which is a good one. The others are abused very easily. Also, if you smoke weed and mix it with these stimulants, you won't get anything done (in a timely fashion that is).

Find one that works for you, everyone's opinion is different. I'm affected greatly by amphetamines, and prefer dextroamphetamine (dexedrine) in a low dose, IR, just because I benefit greatest from it.

Adderall if you can handle not abusing it. The problem is i have found it loses effectivness really fast due to tolerance.

i found exercise, organization and cognitive behavioral therapy to be a lot more effective than drug treatment.

i used strattera for a while, but it made me nauseous unless i smoked pot with it (which defeated the purpose). couldn't handle a prescription for amphetamines without putting them up my nose and then regretting it.

vyvanse is my favorite. it metabolizes soley through the liver so it is only able to be taken orally, so it has less potential for abuse than dextroamphetamine. because it metabolizes through the liver, the comedown is slow and gradual, not a crash like with dextroamphetamine. it also provides the best sense of inner well-being in my opinion. i'd have to say this one is the best one if you don't like to snort them ;)

Thanks for the list.My daughter in college is going trough this promblem right now.they had her on concerta which made here spacey and irritable.She is now on Vynase which she says is better,but would like a little bit more from her meds

You also missed Desoxyn (d-meth), which has a very low side-effect profile, but is neurotoxic and somewhat sedating. I prefer dexedrine (in low doses) to desoxyn. The best dose of dexedrine is one that you can barely feel and causes little to no anorexia. Dose in the 2.5-5mg range it seem almost nootropic...

Focalin is also a good medication, but you have to get used to it. I think its actually easier to abuse than dexedrine, given the strong onset from snorting it. It is also has the compulsive redosing properties as cocaine (but it not as euphoric, given its much lower affinity for the serotonin transporter)...

Dexedrine is typically superior to Adderall, unless you are so-called "primarily inattentive" (a dubious disorder, at best), in which case it may be beneficial.

the truth is that different medications work better for different people. if you have a history of drug abuse i would suggest vyvanse, strattera, or concerta. they're a bitch to abuse.

assuming your using it for actual ADHD help then just don't use it imo

I haven't known many people with ADHD, but the pills definitely didn't help any of them, and in some cases just made them dicks to be around, this is just my opinion though

I think in most cases it was Ritalin, Adderall or Concerta that they were on

i have ADD the inattentive sort, really im on the fence about any of these add/adhd things even being legit but if they are i have some mad ADD! I'v tried adderall and in low doses it helps but its not really reasonable for me to take it all the time (crash, anorexia, lack of sleep) and so im really interested in other options that would be effective but have low side effects.

i have found ginseng and yerba mate to be helpfull but my health insurance doesnt cover those things and im poor (not that mate is expensive)

anyhow i am pretty desperate to find some solutions to this as the basics of life can be very challenging for me often

How does ritalin compare to adderall?

Someone said that meth can make u sleepy. How's that possible? I mean it's pretty similar to regular methamphetamine, right? Does anyone know how it differs from the regular illegal kind?

Also, I read that all amphetamines are neurotoxic, not just meth.

^^^Methamphetamine is quite a bit more neurotoxic than d-amphetamine (due to its much higher potency in releasing serotonin, as well as some other reasons)....

I tried adderall and had too much PNS stimulation. I'm looking for a drug with much less of that. It's going to be for short term. I heard that desoxyn has much more CNS stimulation than PNS stimulation.

Do we have studies establishing meth's neurotoxicity at therapeutic doses (let's say 2.5-15 mg), not 100 mg+ tweakathons? :) I don't doubt that it would be, and for that reason, it wouldn't be a good first-line treatment.
I think that for most people, d-amphetamine or d-methylphenidate (depending on whether you do better w/ DARIs or DA releasers) will work best out of what's currently available. Whether instant or time-release will be preferable likely depends on the work situation. I also think that daily stimulants is innappropriate for almost all people. :)
Mehm: you're the first person that I've heard from who has good things to say about Strattera.

ebola

The studies of abuse potential for Vyvanse have shown it to be no less addictive than regular amphetamine.

If I remember right, methamphetamine is about 10 times as potent a neurotoxin per dose as MDMA... So if regular doses of 100mg MDMA aren't good for your brain, I kind of lean towards 10mg doses of methamphetamine being bad too.

Wellbutrin is an all around good ADHD medication for regular daily usage, I would still be on it if I didn't have weird side effects. It never made me feel burnt out like shorter acting stimulants sometimes can.

what kind of weird side effects? i used dexadrine for a while, loved it but eventually abused it. Now ive been on none of them for a year and am depressed.