• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What's the best ADD/ADHD medicine?

OP your not going to get a straight answer . Everyone feels each med differentley .

I've only tried dexamp and Ritalin....

Ritalin sucksssss! It's good for recreational use but if you want to use it for legit reasons your simply wayy to wired .

Dexdrine (damp ) Is awsome . Personally I preffer the xr version just because it lasts longer .
It's great for studying , etc. And is also good for legit purposes

I haven't tried anything besides Adderall, Ritalin, and Concerta.. of the 3 I think Adderall definently works the best. But it makes me feel super cracked out, and I really don't like that feeling- I just take a 20mg ER if I have a lot of school shit I have to get done, otherwise I don't mess with it.

Concerta gave me mad jitters and nausea. Ritalin too, but not as bad. I just swear by Addys if I really need to study and don't plan on sleeping for 24 hrs.

Oh, so we're playing the credential card now, are we? Watch out! This could be dangerous when you know little about those with whom you discuss.

So I'll play: I hold a bachelor's degree in psychology, worked in a lab researching visual attention (from which I have one coauthorship), spending a good deal of time examining attention deficit disorder's effects on basic attentional control, partly in search of a reliable diagnostic tool (as none currently exist) (for which the aforementioned paper provides the theoretical background).

safe to what degree? Research that I've seen has shown administration of methylphenidate to juvenile rats at doses mg/kg equivalent to common therapeutic regimens to cause permanent changes in neural physiology. Keep in mind that this is a DARI, understood to be vastly less neurotoxic than, say, meth (for your kids, desoxyn), and somewhat less neurotoxic than DA releasers that don't affect 5ht. Granted, these are minor changes, not necessarily indicative of 'damage' (increased dendrite proliferation in the frontal lobes, IIRC), but nonetheless alarming.

Please also keep in mind that physiological side-effects which mimic natural stress aren't that healthy, increasing minorly the risk of adverse cardiac events (which is pretty low for youths) but more importantly taking their toll on mental health. Concurrent psychiatric medication to treat stimulants' side-effects in children is rather common in the US.

How well do they 'work'? Research has shown these medications to, on average, lose effectiveness after two years, even with increasing dosage.
If these things work for you, then great, but they're hardly innocuous. What level of disorder warrants exposing children to these dangers without their informed consent?

ebola

thats impressive, ebola :) awesome work. thanks for your info! :)

Exercise, a good diet removing processed sugars and weird colours/additives, Efalex (google it) and Sulbutiamine (google that too)

Doesn't anyone find it weird that everyone is taking super strong psycho-stimulants that can be potentially harmful to the brain because they have been diagnosed with "ADD" ?

I mean I've abused stimulants and they sure make me feel GREAT in terms of working and getting organized (I also think that I am, "ADD", whatever that means). But I do not think stimulants are the answer at all =\

I still feel my best when I physically excersize, eat the right amount of calories and intake of nutrition and take supplaments like fish oil.

I think stimulants aren't really going to help at all. I'm stunned they are still giving them to kids. Seems like the easy way out.

And yes I do have extreme problems with procrastination, laziness and disorganization as well.

I mean, the western world has become ridiculously anti meth. It is seen as the most evil drug to date, with ad campaigns and harm prevention everywhere....Yet we hand out amphetamines like candy to people who can't concentrate. wut.

What are we going to do in 20+ years? Still take stimulants (Perhaps safer ones by then?), or go off them and suffer even worse for all the years spent on drugs.?

Perhaps this is meant for a differen't subject though, and just to contribute....

I find dexedrine to be the smoothest. I feel calm and collected, like I could do anything with ease. Ritalin is too jumpy and the only other stimulant I have tried is street meth and 4MAR.

I switched from daytrana to dexidrine, and it is great, It and .5 klonopin 2x a day to keep panic attacks away. And I eat much better with the combo. I also would suggest if you have a drug abuse problem like myself and are fortunate enough to have someone to give them to you that is best. And as for the posted I quoted or whatever I agree, I am spending time with my psych learning coping skills so within a given period of time I can stop the stimulants and do it the clean way. I don't know if it will work yet though.

Also I have just learned that they have special places to take tests for those of us with ADHD in college, more time, less destruction so try and take advantage of these things, my mom had a friend failing tests all the time in nursing school, and went to the test centers and was able to pass the "nurse test" for lack of better words because she utilized what was out there. Same stuff for dyslexics (scixelsyd LOL). So just my 2 cents :). But yes dexidrine is a miracle as vyvanse kept me up for days and I abused it orally because I had no system to avoid abusing the meds I needed.

Good luck, this Is late (sorry mods lol) but maybe this will help a passer byer lol

It really depends on the person. I wouldn't say there is a specific 'best adhd med' out there. I've been on and off ADHD medications since I was in grade one. I've been on nearly all the meds out here in Canada. Methylphenidate hydrochloride, methylphenidate hydrochloride cr, dextroamphetamine, strattera, adderal, the whole shabang. I've never been on vyvanse as it is not availabe in my part of canada. I've experimented with nootropics in the past as well. Honestly it all comes down to your personal brain chemistry and lifestyle choices at the time. Of course there are benefits and different side effects when it comes down to it. Every med is different in their own way and it will take a lot of experimentation to find the best one.

Just a friendly reminder that recommending harmful substances like cocaine or meth for ADD/ADHD is not allowed and is against the HR goals of this site.

Thank you!!

Just a friendly reminder that recommending harmful substances like cocaine or meth for ADD/ADHD is not allowed and is against the HR goals of this site.

Thank you!!

Meth is actually an ADHD medicine, I'm guessing someone was talking about street meth though lol coke for ADHD... Lol

The difference between Desoxyn and street meth is that Desoxyn is d-methamphetamine sulfate rather than d or d/l-methamphetamine hydrochloride. Qualitatively, this makes Desoxyn feel totally not the same (and inferior to) street meth.

Exercise. At least double the standard recommended amount for adults. (That would mean 60 min/day for 5 days/week.)

For me (ADHD-PI) Both Ritalin and Dexedrine work when taken as prescribed. However, Ritalin's "rush" is pleasant and can be addictive....

Dexamphetamine, hands-down. And it needs to be IR, none of that XR nonsense - you'll be awake all bloody night. Methylphenidate is ok, but will make you feel a wee bit down and paranoid after the initial feelings of euphoria and excitement have subsided. Combining methylphenidate with booze is a winning combination, albeit not a particularly socially-acceptable or productive one. Stay away from Concerta (XR methylphenidate). Makes you sad and miserable. I dunno about Desoxyn, except I know methamphetamine is potent, strong and will make you seek more. Trial and error, I suppose....

The difference between Desoxyn and street meth is that Desoxyn is d-methamphetamine sulfate rather than d or d/l-methamphetamine hydrochloride. Qualitatively, this makes Desoxyn feel totally not the same (and inferior to) street meth.

*sigh*
No, nearly all clandestine methamphetamine in the US (and Australia and NZ) is d-methamphetamine hcl, just like Desoxyn (dunno why you said it was the sulphate salt, not that it matters). In earlier times, when different precursors were used, racemic clandestine meth was more common.

ebola

i couldn't agree more. i think stimulants can be a useful tool in terms of getting yourself into the kind of habits that are ultimately going to allow you to deal with your ADD w/o drugs (structuring your time, making lists, avoiding distractions, etc.),

Yes those things work: structuring your time, making lists, and avoiding distractions.

I have add and was prescribed vyvanse. It has made a lot of difference, however some side effects such as appetite loss, mild anxiety. For the most part it had been helpful. Tried Stattera first and although intially helpful the side effects wore many times worse. But you never know, different strokes for different folks.

healthy diet (organic and as chemical free as possible, exercise... I am on 80 mg at a time and it does what it did for years, shut my mouth

I'm looking for an ADD medication my doctor said that taking Adderall would help my panic attacks...I don't know about that.
Any truth to that? I have an appointment here soon to see this other doctor about my ADD.

Cannabidiol, or CBD may relieve it .

Canchew sell a high CBD gum or you can obtain it through eating hemp seeds and taking hemp seed oil. There is not much in the hemp seed/seed oil though, only 10mg/1kg, but i figure some is better than none.

cannabidiol doesnt get you high its not a drug btw just 1 cannabinioid.