• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What's ruining the fun? (if anything)

PillyMuncher

Greenlighter
I've been mucking about with pills for over 30 years. As a rebellious teen, a respectable father and businessman, and a retired pill head with too much time on his hands and access to a plethora of (correctly) prescribed medication... some "useful, and some not so.

My issue is this... I'm very keen on opiates, and I've had access to a few different types on various occasions over the years. But I've never ever had any euphoric feeling from them.... Never felt wrapped in a warm blanket or anything of the sort?

With enough of a space between using, Codeine gives me a mild rush at the onset, then I'm just a bit friendly, a bit buzzed.
Codeine seems the best but it's still awful.
Dihydrocodeine is like speed... I'm off my fucking head.
Oxycodone/Contin pretty much the same as DHC
Fentanyl is a permanent comedown
Buprenorphine same as fentanyl
Morphine just feel horrible - no pleasure in it.
Tapentadol - nothing really
Tramadol - quite pleasant mild buzz, happy
Poppy seed tea

I've tried pepper, grapefruit, omeprazole, Indian tonic water, promethazine and diazepam as "potentiators" lol...

But really - I'd be better off drinking a can of cheap lager for all I get from them.

I have 3 theories as to why:
About 15 years ago I discovered ecstasy for 2 years I was at it every weekend 2 - 3 nights. Anywhere between 15 - 20 pills on a normal weekend, although it sometimes got way messier - the most was just over 50. Stupid really as I found that more than 5 wasn't really good any more.
But it was SO GOOD. I WAS SO SO. HAPPY.
My jaw would be sore from smiling. Every night was the best night of my life... but I really MEANT it.

Sadly I had to hit it on the head. But here I am today, wondering if I have used all my "happy" up? Are we blessed with a set amount and I've Greeded mine all up! (oh I know it's synapses growing new Pathways or something).

The next issue is the medication I am on that might be cocking things up:
Venlafaxine (Effexor)
Topiramate (Topamax)
Gabapentin
Loperamide... which I usually have in my system to fend off comedown from whatever I've been on.
I have stopped all of these (only for a day or two) to see if it made any improvement, but
no joy. I did this too with ecstasy recently but there was no joy in it.

And thirdly, I worry that I don't metabolise opiates properly. I read reports of people taking x - dose of x - med and being chilled and europhic. I have to take 4 times the dose, it takes 3 times as long to hit me, then I am running around like a burst hose doing all the housework. Something seems amiss.

I would really appreciate any rational thoughts.

Oh and poppy seed tea. I used that to get me off the Buprenorphine.
Then I cold turkeyed the tea...
The horror from hell living nightmare evil living death!
Don't do it kids!

I suppose my 1st question to you would be if you have pain issues or you simply use recreationally.
I was on gabapentin for years and while I loved it, it totally wrecked my brains ability to react to things. The come down was awful even after I tapered. I am convinced it was that. However, I also react differently to some meds as we all do - sleep meds make me anxious and jittery, no matter how small or large the dose.

Well, to answer the thread topic...? Tolerance. It's a b****!

If not for that aspect, life would be amazing. (Said as a 23 year "experiencer".) At this point, I can absolutely guarantee my tolerance to opiates is higher than anyone else's in this forum - literally insane. Like this past week. 750mg of Oxycodone IR, and I barely noticed anything. I can't stand this tolerance aspect - it's insane, as I already said. Due to health issues/pain... and, of course, said tolerance...? I've lost 110lbs in the past year. Never been "thin" or normal in my life until now, and you'd expect losing that much weight would have an impact on said tolerance... but just the opposite.

But as to your post specifically...? Really, I have *NEVER* understood the "I can't function on Oxy/Opiates" - Oxycontin does absolutely give a boost of energy, in addition to the euphoria/sedation/everything's amazing. But, imo, having had an absurd amount of experience with it...? It's perfect. The perfect balance, the perfect everything. I have *NEVER* once done anything abnormal or out of it on said Oxy. You just function normally, with a "boost" to do stuff/live, pain free, and, on top of that. everything is just *that* much better.

The only thing I can think of as an explanation...? I've been on Oxycodone since I was 9. I've read medical journal articles that, when exposed/dependent upon such substance before puberty, and all the way through it, the brain literally adapts. That article seemed more focused on the fact that such persons/brains can never "come off" or live without opiates in their system, so who knows what that might be like should that day ever come. You can certainly imagine that a child's developing brain would indeed change and transform around having such a substance continually in their system, so who knows.

As far as the OP specifically...? Have you tried Oxymorphone? That was strangely absent from your list. It provides quite significant euphoria, some sedation, but none of the "get up and go" of Oxycodone. And, now that I think of it, your list also excludes Hydromorphone/Dilaudid, which seems an impossibility - it's a pretty damn commonly used opiate. Far, faaaaar less of a "kick" than Oxymorphone, and, based on your list, would probably be the derivative of opium I'd most recommend to avoid any side effects while getting what you desire out of it.

Honestly dude, if it's not that fun anymore, consider leaving this habit. I can tell you my experience: when i was on Tegretol (mood stabilizer- anti convulsionant med) i couldnt feel tramadol or oxy high. Maybe thats why they put me on it lol. IMO i can tell you that thw topiramate may be playing a big role in it ( im telling this without even taking a look at what topamax targets).. I dont really think the venlafaxin or others are blocking the high... i have the feeling it may be the topiramate. Anyway also consider that any1 is different and maybe you dont get the same effects as other people, and MAYBE THERE'S A PSYCHOLOGICAL PART OF IT: i can relate to this: i always overthink ( also when it comes to drugs) and maybe expecting a 'perfect high'---> much times i couldnt feel nothing and i think its a psychological aspect

The next issue is the medication I am on that might be cocking things up:
Venlafaxine (Effexor)
Topiramate (Topamax)
Gabapentin
Loperamide... which I usually have in my system to fend off comedown from whatever I've been on.
I have stopped all of these (only for a day or two) to see if it made any improvement, but
no joy. I did this too with ecstasy recently but there was no joy in it.
NEVER undersestimate how strange antidepressant medicine can be. They are far more complex and have plenty of unknown action when compared to opiates. I would almost say without a shadow of a doubt that the medicines you take will lessen the feelings you get from opiates. When I changed From citalopram to mirtazapine I could barely get high off high dose optiates and that was the only thing that changed.