• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Nostalgia S&G Video Game Nostalgia Thread

For me it would have been around age 9 and that was the game Duck Hunt on the original Nintendo NES (the first one with the cartridges)

What was the earliest game you remember getting hooked on?

Preferably electronic..playing doctors with the neighbor you had a crush on behind the garage doesnt count!

Last edited by a moderator:
Asteroids - in the amusement arcade circa 1980 :)

edit - I was truly shit-hot at it too, went on to stuff like Golf on Sega Megadrive, but my gaming interest just petered out after a year or so playing Doom in the mid 90's

Haven't played a video game this century!

Absolutely it was Tomb Raider on PS. Was dating a bartender and her kid (Dillion) was a crash bandicoot guy and had this game he had talked his moms into buying for him. He kept asking me to help hime figure out some stuff in a game and I was like, "Hey, man, ya wanna go to the pool or play some soccer or sumpin?". He always agreed to do what the fuck ever I came up with; even one time walking a coupla miles to catch a movie. He was down. Still is. :)
Well, one morning I relented and went to his little domain which he kept fairly neat for 4 or 5 - cant remember. He slaps a disc in the console and sits back crossleged in the middle of the floor looking all nervous and shit. Hmmmmm. Was dis all about? I ask myself.
Nice graphics blew me away from start. My last stint with vidja games was freakin pong and I sucked at that, so it really got my attention... to boot it looked like I may have found something to fap to - this "laura" chick (later when I am alone, freaks!). I'm swerving. My bad.
Cannot remember where he was in the game but it had something to do with a jump-grab thing. He kept sowing me what he was trying to do over and over and kept falling and dashing himself (laura, my new crush) on some razor-spikes in a pit or something. I yell "Grab that ledge you keep bumpin off of and quit killin my girlfriend!" after about the 20th time. He starts laughing his ass off and looks at me all wide-eyed with a big ass creepy grin on his face and screams "HOW?!?!?". I start laughing my ass off and we are trippin balls.
I hold out my hand for the controller and start pushing buttons. After about 30 seconds of erratically bouncing around, lunging, jumping, reaching and rolling I dash to the spot where he jumped from, jumped with a reach motion and she freaking grabbed the ledge a million feet above instant and sure death below... I held it for a couple seconds and let all buttons go. Hahaha
He literally started bouncing off the walls going nuts, mane! How? How? HOW!? all the while like he just won a multi trillion dollar jackpot.
I showed him, he got it but had to figure out how to shimmy along the cliff-face to safety.
That was a wrap. When he went to school or wanted a bedtime story, I would play.
Still my favorite game but it is without doubt the most aggravating.

manic miner - zx spectrum
Manic_Miner_Screenshot.png

jet set willy - zx spectrum
JetSetWilly-ColdStore.png

knightlore - zx spectrum
yr12_33d.gif
220px-Knight_lore_3.gif

alasdair

manic miner - zx spectrum
Manic_Miner_Screenshot.png

alasdair
How could I forget MM? Amazing game! Hours of very stoned fun

Anyway I've noticed that OP didn't ask for video games specifically, so my real answer as to what game hooked me first is....drum roll.......

Kiss-Chase in the playground age 6, can honestly still remember the buzz!

I did all the arcade stuff as a kid, but the first time I got addicted to a game was when I got my Amiga 1200 and discovered 'Frontier Elite II'.

Since then I've done most of the Call of Duty, Gears of War etc. etc. But nothing has gripped my imagination like that game, which was all stored on a single floppy disk.

Kids today are fuckin spoilt cunts...

yeah those old lucas art adventures were really something special...

Last edited:
I fuckin loved Monkey Island. You just don't get shit like that these days...
I think this depends on one's perception entirely.
We have such strong feelings for these games because they were our childhood,
a time where we had our eyes wide open and everything felt new.
That doesn't mean there no longer are any good games, (there are thousands of adventure games)
just that over time we will have seen a lot of different types of games,
although we won't see it as "wow, that's a new awesome game i've never seen",
instead our reaction will more be like "Oh, it's like Dota in 3D"

Nothing new under the sun