• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What type of water for IV pills?

doubleheadedeagle

Bluelighter
I was wondering what type of water should I use for IVing pills, as I know distilled water is deadly if IVed, and you can check it out if you don't believe that.

Also according to this side you don't need to boil pills http://www.heroinhelper.com/curious/chemistry/injecting_pills_jay.shtml

I was going to use 10% NaCl water, in medicine it is typically used to dissolve substances for IV use.

Can someone help me with this?

Maybe im unsafe but ive been doing this for 6 months and ive always used spring water. I have a dropper in a little cup and thats it. I just cotton filter. Supposedly dilaudid pills are safest but cant believe anything off internet, lol. Ive stopped for awhile cause my tolerance is too high but ive never had a problem with regular old spring water. Good luck

Lol distilled water is not deadly if IVed. That's what I used for the most part and that's what they give out at a few of the needle exchanges I've been to even. What you're "supposed" to use though is bacteriostatic water.

I agree on not cooking. The heat can make insoluble particulate soluble where otherwise it'd be filtered out. Actually you don't want to cook anything aside from heroin base and that's out of necessity.

I agree with PP, anyone regularly shooting pills needs a micron filter (aka wheel filter).

This is the best resource I've seen on water for injecting drug use: http://www.exchangesupplies.org/shopdisp_water_injecting_risks_poster.php It ranks water from best practice choice to least safe choice. It has some information that some people are surprised by - for example, that bottled drinking water is actually less safe for injecting than cold tap water. Best practice is the small single use ampoules of sterile water you can get from some chemists and NSPs.

Distilled water is generally not good because it's designed for machines, not people, so it hasn't been treated to remove bacteria and fungus.

Also you should definitely use a micron/wheel filter if you're shooting pills.

call me old fashioned but I always used cold tap water. our local tap water is really good though, not like some towns. when I very first started shooting up (heroin at the time though, not pills, only switched to dilaudid and M100s after I moved and in the new location H was scarce, comparatively low quality and expensive) my always paranoid boyfriend insisted we boil the tap water first but we quickly fell off w/ that. if I was feeling particularly health conscious I would get a bottle of tap water from my pill dealer's house while there because he had some super filter on his tap that he insisted "made the water perfect for shooting up with" and he would never use any other water ...he was in his 70s had been a junkie for probably longer than even my parents have been alive and still had veins left so I took him at his word. xP I IV zubsolv (and no it doesn't do shit in way of effects, I just have a bad needle fix, whatever) these days and when IVing any buprenorphrine or sublingual tablet in general you MUST use saline solution, because the form that the drug is in is not a salt, so it is like shooting pure water into your veins. I lost so many veins for good before I realized this, shooting up zubsolv w/ purified bottled water (ugh) no less because at the time I lived on a property w/ beyond shitty well water, pretty much entirely undrinkable not just because of the rotten eggs sulphur and overwhelming iron taste but because all the iron in it would start causing you to have frequent nosebleeds if you drank it every day for a while, I never would have shot up w/ that shit even though my only other choice was the obviously less than ideal purified bottled water. shooting up most pills I would think it best (if unable to access sterilized water as mentioned above, not a ton of people have access to that), that boiled tap water would be best, then cold tap water (I am under the impression that using hot tap water is less than ideal because bacteria can grow in the water heater tank particularly because the heat of the water is enough to encourage bacteria growth, not enough to actually kill bacteria), and if there is no other option bottled water. I would not ever inject w/ anything else. I did not look at that water choices safety list thing that was linked so I may be wrong (will look at that when finished posting because I am indeed curious), but this is always what I've believed based on what I know. also I have always thought it best to use as little water as you need to dissolve the pill completely, because you do not not want to be shooting up a really "watery" fluid, that is you want the salt concentration to be high enough that it does not cause extra damage to your veins and kill your blood cells.
just my experience and opinion.

Last edited:
Boil distilled water for five minutes before using to steralize it.... Ten minutes even.