• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What mechanism of Phenibut would cause an increase in urine concentration?

Casual.dream,
Have you done a genetic test to see if you might carry the mutations that cause Bartter syndrome or Gitelman syndrome? They are both rare renal disorders and might not be the first thing a doctor would consider but some of your symptoms indicate the possibility, particularly if you've noticed urinary issues most of your life. I am only heterozygous for Bartter but have had electrolyte imbalances (potassium-wasting & salt-wasting), weakness/fatigue, dehydration, and polyuria (peeing too much) for my first 20 or so years of life...all have improved in the decades since and I'm now symptom-free, but I'm not sure how. I didn't know about it until recently so I never received treatment.

The mutation affects the Na-K-2Cl cotransporter NKCC2. NKCC2 facilitates ∼20–25% of the reuptake of the total filtered NaCl load. [NaCl = sodium chloride = salt]

As for the phenibut affecting your urine, phenibut acts as an agonist of GABA receptors...These receptors upregulate the expression of the chloride exporter KCC2, while also downregulating NKCC1. What does that all mean? Unfortunately, I have no idea. It would take a smarter person with more scientific knowledge than me to properly interpret what all this means. All I can figure out is there's some kind of effect on electrolytes.

Thanks. My urinary issues started around 4 years ago suddenly. I did not have them for the first 28 or so years of my life so I assume that would mean it's not one of the mutations you mention.