• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What kind of meds do they generally let u be/stay on in prison/jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplehaze147

Bluelighter
I'll probably be going to prison or jail soon. I got 32 drug charges, mostly distribution of schedule 1 drugs. Sold to an undercover for months and got my house raided. Current plea deal is 8 years no parole for 2 Heroin distribution charges which is pretty harsh I think for my first time ever getting in trouble.

I'm currently on suboxone (usually take around 4mg a day), dextro-amphetamine, ambien, and gabapentin. I doubt they'll give me suboxone and amphetamine lol so I'll need to taper off the subs soon I guess. Or will they in prison? I know they'll give me Librium (not lithium) probably which is a benzodiazepine. When I was in jail before I got bailed out for $50,000 they started me out on a decent dose of Librium, 50mg 2x a day so 100mg total. My suboxone doctor thinks they'll detox me off of subs with subs or something similar but I really really think she's wrong. Will they give me gabapentin? I really need that stuff, it helps my anxiety tremendously and I can deal with mild suboxone withdrawal on it.

What kind of meds can I get? I have bad anxiety and mild depression. Recommendations please, anything that will get me through the days... years easier.

Im in NJ by the way.

That depends largely on the prison's policy. You can probably stay on antidepressants, antipsychotics and mood stabilizers but there might be a gap in your dosing schedule. Stimulants, pain meds and anything else with abuse potential is probably a no-go. I think cost might be a factor too according to some articles I've read.

They won't even give transgender people their hormones in some prisons, which causes them to have hormone withdrawal and other serious issues...so it might be kinda rough getting what you need.

Some prisons have methadone programs, subs I doubt they'll give you if anything simply bc the price

^ Can you Imagine someone being cold turkey from high dose methadone puking for a month in prison yeah they dont want that so of course methadone can be alllowed i suggest switching from Suboxone to Methadone BUT MAKE SURE YOUR PRISON ALLOWS IT FIRST!

Totally Depends on the Prison. BUT I SWEAR I HAVE Read people Saying they would Sell there stimulant Ritlain Pills or your Dextro amphetamine and Ambiens and Methadone since nobody well SOME but most don't use Suboxone For A High. But I Swear I Read people gettnig Methadone in prison But Only the Ones who get 25MG Pills FOR PAIN can Sneek it Out By Having Dry Mouth and COughing it up from out your throat unless they suspect you of doing it and or are strict and smart prisons with vigorous Policys they will Look down your throat with a flash Light Instead of just looking in your mouth but if not oyu can cough it up and especially Dextro Amphetamine I think come in Capsules if your Quick enough you can cough it up and the capsule will barely be Dissolved IF YOU GOT ENOUGH DRY MOUTH From any means neccessary getting some drugs like Someone coughing up there Ambien to cause dry mouth or Benedryl For Allergies or some shit.

But it Really is Largely based on the Prison But people SMoke weed do coke and Heroin the oCCassional new comer with friends on the inside can eat or plug a condom of heroin or cocaine in there butt and i heard of someone having a grenade in there ass one time trying to get to prison lol prob did it to avoid a charge at first later getting worse charge not realizing they use metal detectors when your being proccessed into Prison LMFAO that had to Hurt is all I think of it.

In my county jail they do not give you methadone, IDK about prison though. I was in jail before and had to go cold turkey off 90mg/day of prescribed methadone and this time I had to go cold turkey off a 30-50 bag a day heroin habit. (I know I said I never got in trouble before, I was in jail over a warrant for not going to court because I was in rehab at the time. I had to go to court for a small disorderly persons charge that ended up getting dropped.)

How are anti-depressants? Do work or help even a little bit? I've always refused one because you can't trip on psychedelics if you're on them. Probably won't be doing any shrooms in prison lol so maybe I'll give it a shot. Haven't heard good things about them though, I've heard they're basically placebo pills or make you feel like a zombie.

NO. no way! DO NOT Switch to methadone from 4mg of suboxone to prepare for jail time. Did you hear me? DO NOT switch to methadone.
Dude that is the WORST advice EVER!!!!
No, you are not gaurenteed methadone in jail. Very few jails give methadone and ever fewer prisons. SOME will do a quick methadone detox, most will make you withdrawl cold turkey, although you usually can get tylonol, clonadine, Benadryl, and maybe immodium.

They don't give a shit that u sit there a puke for a month.

Most jails do not prescribe narcotics unless it is for a short term detox.

If I were you I would try and get my sub dose down to zero or as close to zero as possible before you go to jail. I think you also said you were on ambien, try to get off that a well, bc you won't be gettin that in jail either, and the combination of withdrawl from both those meds ( and the shitty beds ) will leave you sleepless for days. As for your other medications, make sure you have up to date perscriptions and are in contact with your doctor and he knows your situation. When you do I jail bring your scripts with you, and in my experience they will continue giving you your neccisary non-narcotic medication. When you get to jail make sure you are proactive about the status of your medications and find out about seeing the prison doctor / physiatrist, they will most likely renew your scripts for the medication the jail had kept you on, and ensure that you continue to get them for the duration of your incarceration. They might make some changes to cheaper medication or take you off thing that they don't feel are imparative.

Do not take health care for granted. Our prison system is corrupt and Injust. Despite what they may say, you are not gaurenteed propor health care and access to medication. I have been to jail several times, in several differnent states, while addicted / dependent on different medication / drugs and every time was forced I withdraw in my cell without even the aid of over the counter medications in most cases. My experience is fairly standard. I was arrested as an alcoholic and given no medication of any kind. I was arrested addicted to heroin and given 2 tylonol. ( and no toothbrush, change or clothes, books, tv, shower, bed, ice, and many other things I would seem standard for a comfortable cold turkey detox ) until I was moved I general popular 8 days later. I was arrested on a large script of xanex ( had my rx with me ) and was given 2mg Ativan for 3 days.

Moral of the story - dont switch to methadone before jail bc most likely you will have to kick it in jail. Either cold turkey or quick taper. And even if they have it in the first jail or prison you go to, with an 8 yr mid you'll prolly get moved a few times, and they probobly will not have it everywhere you are move to. ( each institution has a separate liscence for perscribing methadone ) get off the ambien, maybe try switching to a non narcotic sleep aid. They should keep you on your other non narcotic meds. ( they always have it me ) and as for the amphetamine - I have no experience with this, and can't give u any advice.

Edit: I live in the US, I have no idea what the policies are for Canada and other parts of the world

Last edited:
Here's an idea, don't fucking sell heroin. You think any of the shit you hustled so hard for is gonna be here after an eight year bid? The answer is no.

Anyway here in my county in Colorado they have methadone but no sub program and they require you to have proof of a script, difficult to produce while inside. Keeps people from going to jail for free methadone. You probably will be asked if your gonna wd at booking, if you say yes it's a bit of a gamble because they will probably just throw you in the hole and let you detox.

So all in all tough luck nigga, you did what you did and you gotta pay for it with 8 years of your life with or without subs. I would probably feel bad if heroin didn't fuck over everyone it ever touches, including dealers as I'm sure you see now.

NO. no way! DO NOT Switch to methadone from 4mg of suboxone to prepare for jail time. Did you hear me? DO NOT switch to methadone.
Dude that is the WORST advice EVER!!!!
No, you are not gaurenteed methadone in jail. Very few jails give methadone and ever fewer prisons. SOME will do a quick methadone detox, most will make you withdrawl cold turkey, although you usually can get tylonol, clonadine, Benadryl, and maybe immodium.

They don't give a shit that u sit there a puke for a month.

Most jails do not prescribe narcotics unless it is for a short term detox.

If I were you I would try and get my sub dose down to zero or as close to zero as possible before you go to jail. I think you also said you were on ambien, try to get off that a well, bc you won't be gettin that in jail either, and the combination of withdrawl from both those meds ( and the shitty beds ) will leave you sleepless for days. As for your other medications, make sure you have up to date perscriptions and are in contact with your doctor and he knows your situation. When you do I jail bring your scripts with you, and in my experience they will continue giving you your neccisary non-narcotic medication. When you get to jail make sure you are proactive about the status of your medications and find out about seeing the prison doctor / physiatrist, they will most likely renew your scripts for the medication the jail had kept you on, and ensure that you continue to get them for the duration of your incarceration. They might make some changes to cheaper medication or take you off thing that they don't feel are imparative.

Do not take health care for granted. Our prison system is corrupt and Injust. Despite what they may say, you are not gaurenteed propor health care and access to medication. I have been to jail several times, in several differnent states, while addicted / dependent on different medication / drugs and every time was forced I withdraw in my cell without even the aid of over the counter medications in most cases. My experience is fairly standard. I was arrested as an alcoholic and given no medication of any kind. I was arrested addicted to heroin and given 2 tylonol. ( and no toothbrush, change or clothes, books, tv, shower, bed, ice, and many other things I would seem standard for a comfortable cold turkey detox ) until I was moved I general popular 8 days later. I was arrested on a large script of xanex ( had my rx with me ) and was given 2mg Ativan for 3 days.

Moral of the story - dont switch to methadone before jail bc most likely you will have to kick it in jail. Either cold turkey or quick taper. And even if they have it in the first jail or prison you go to, with an 8 yr mid you'll prolly get moved a few times, and they probobly will not have it everywhere you are move to. ( each institution has a separate liscence for perscribing methadone ) get off the ambien, maybe try switching to a non narcotic sleep aid. They should keep you on your other non narcotic meds. ( they always have it me ) and as for the amphetamine - I have no experience with this, and can't give u any advice.

Edit: I live in the US, I have no idea what the policies are for Canada and other parts of the world
This girl knows what's up. Listen to her.

I'm gonna go with yes on the gabapentin. Generic neurontin is usually pretty cheap which is a strong factor in deciding whether or not you're getting a med. I'm on 800mg 4x a day and ate very well trading mine for canteen. Antipsychotics and anti depressants are easy to come by. You're definitely shit out of luck with the ambien and sub.

Let me give you a word of advice with a somber tone. The less meds you are dependent on.. The better. Med units in jails are often very neglectful of inmates. You will have some days when you don't get your meds. Believe me. I've seen me, I've seen people die of seizures. And then of course everyone gets extra doses because they're afraid of civil reproxussions...

Best advice anyone can give you is to see a doctor right now and get that gabapentin script raised up as high as you can get it. Get RXd some clonidine and vistoril. That way when you walk in they will have that shit for you once they verify and will get it to you before you're even classified.

I was in jail for a month and they made me cold turkey various opiates, valium, gabapentin, and booze. It was horrendous. Good luck, I doubt they'll give you anything worth a shit. Most they gave me was Zyprexa because I was having full blown delusions lol. But look at the bright side, at least over the course of a couple months you'll be totally clean and pretty much back to yourself. It could be a real turning point in your life and once you get out you can get shit right.

Most county jails give neurontin and kpin or Ativan as a benzo. I know pa state prisons are tryin to do away with the kpins though. That sucks bro especially since jersey does flat sentences too... You prolly would've had a 5 to 10 in pa and you would've been out in 6 had you done good. Jersey don't play with dope man. I got two years probation for a simple possession in jersey that I'm still walkin off now (I just got done doin a year in a pa county jail last year though so I know how a bid goes). Just keep ur head up and make good use of your time. Don't worry about drugs they will be there when u get out. Me? I would be workin them weights downstate if I was doin a bid like you. That's a high all on its own let me tell you... Mixed with caffeine actually one of the best imo as its your body's natural endorphins producing it.

That's a low blow after the deed is done. Most people ain't slingin dope by choice. Real insightful advice...

Yeah you are slinging by choice, no one put a gun to this guy's head and forced him to do it. Just because your doing it to feed an addiction doesn't mean your not making a conscious choice to cop a felony weight of heroin and distribute it. That's some junkie justification if I've ever seen it. The fact that he lives in a state with a high cost if living and has never caught a drug charge before is further evidence that he really probably didn't need to start dealing. Not to say poverty is hard to find in NJ, Camden and Trenton come to mind.

To swimmingencouraged,

Noone is putting a gun to the people purchasing either and am assuming if his costumers didn't get it from him they'd get it elsewhere.

As they say, "don't hate the player, hate the game"

it was his choice, but I'm sure he understood the consequences and saying things like "don't sell heroin" after the fact is basically kicking a dead Dog.

Granted there are some really shitty people out there that try to get people addicted for their own gain, I hate it when people blame the dealers or doctors for their Own personal lack of self control.

Yeah you are slinging by choice, no one put a gun to this guy's head and forced him to do it. Just because your doing it to feed an addiction doesn't mean your not making a conscious choice to cop a felony weight of heroin and distribute it. That's some junkie justification if I've ever seen it. The fact that he lives in a state with a high cost if living and has never caught a drug charge before is further evidence that he really probably didn't need to start dealing. Not to say poverty is hard to find in NJ, Camden and Trenton come to mind.
I started out selling psychedelics only, I saw it as protecting the freedom lol, but there was such a demand for heroin. I only sold it to addicts which in turn made me an addict again. I was clean for so long. They wanted me to sell it because I was closer & not in some sketchy hood. I know that's not an excuse I just explaining. I sold a lot of acid & molly to the undercover, they don't even wanna bring me down for that just the heroin.

And yeah no way I'm going back on methadone. I was talking to a lawyer, gave him my discovery with all the charges, and he said there was a good chance I would get drug court and stay out of prison because I was an addict. At the least they're going to bring the sentence down. Hey it might even get dropped because it sounds like it was entrapment. Also my 6th amendment right is clearly being broken but that's a different story.

I got my benzos when I was in there. I told the Doc I was on xanax and klonopin, so she gave me ativan...

You know what they say when you ASSume.

Free will is not a black and white matter. And a "choice" is sure as fuck not defined by whether or not someone is holding a gun to your head. I'm not trying to get into a largely subjective philosophical argument when op just asked a simple question so keep you opinions and judgemental bullshit to yourself. Telling this dude to not to sell dope when it's all in the past anyways is a waste of time and energy especially since he didn't even get busted for the heroin.

Just ask your lawyer or call up the prisons you'll most likely be sent to and ask them if they have a methadone or suboxone program. In my experience only a few states do and normally methadone. ( I just did a year for possession and a couple of supplies. I got 5 years suspended after 1year. So I'm on parole for another 4 years with a suspended sentence hanging over my head). When I was in prison they gave me nothing for actual opioid detox. I told them I take large amounts of benzos so they'd give me some Valium and clonadine for the first few weeks. If you have a benzo addiction they have to taper you off them because you can get seizures and die from going cold turkey off them. Taper yourself off the suboxone and amphetamines. Even if your lawyer thinks you'll walk, plan for the worst. If you plan for the worst then any better outcome will be a bonus. Be prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.