• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What is your Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)?

Related Reading: "Personality Type & Drug Use"

INFJ.

I've taken the test professionally (take that word with a grain of salt, the professional administration of such tests is little different to the ones you find on the net) twice. Tested as INTJ the first time and INFP the second time. Taken the test on the net a bunch of times, I swung around all four INxx types for a while. Though I'm almost certain I'm INFJ and have been for a while.

I actually post on a forum based around mbti (and personality theories in general), have done since about 06. I was pretty much obsessed with this theory originally, I still think it's useful but I see it for what it is these days, a theory.

I think the best way to use the theory is for personal reflection or analysis of past interactions, rather than as too much of a tool to tell you "which type would make a good boyfriend / girlfriend?" or "what job should I get I'm an INFP lol."

I actually also use the theory to try and guess people's types when I meet them so I know how to approach social interaction.

But yea, interesting theory nevertheless, I love it as it provides extra possibilities for analysing people and interactions.

Some random observations:

- MyDoorsAreOpen, I think you are INFP.

- DarthMom. I've had you pegged as ENFJ for a while. I don't know why. You just give that vibe, and are somewhat different to...

- vibra8tor. The epitome of an ENFP. As is missgoody2shoes (I think).

- jam uh weezy, is ENTP.

- Klue, I think is ISFP.

- DoctorShop seems INFP.

- zephyr. I'm coming up with INTP for some reason.

- same for ebola (INTP), which I guess illustrates how different two people of a shared type can seem.

- oh and iwish is most definitely INFP.

I've got rough ideas of the types of most of the regular posters that I notice (it happens out of habit.)

It's hard (and too much effort) to give reasoning as my opinions formed over time through observations, not just suddenly with single nameable occurrances.

I have no idea what all this is about and to be honest I dont really believe in labels............I think I can be lots of things.

However I am prepared to have a shot......sounds like i need to pass a test or something.

But before i do, I would be interested in what those of you who know me a bit, think I will get............be honest, I can handle it and would appreciate it.

^ Don't take it too seriously maz :). It is just a method of organizing people bu personality types that is based on psychological research so it is not like many other "oMgz U haz dragon personality!!11" tests. It is also used in aptitude tests for career guidance by some people or organizations.

As for you, I would say you are ESFP.

haha, sorry mate, I didnt mean to suggest I was all serious about it.........actually far from it for the exact reason that I dislike labels. I find all labelling of humans to be rather a joke.

It nothing to do with labels. It's about trying to put a best guess on what "type" of person you prefer to be. Not for the purpose of "labelling" or pigeon-holing someone, but for the purpose of then offering some common ideas on what is likely to motivate you, restrict you, restrain and release you.

I thought I was quite self-aware... but having gone through the testing process, I can see that there are parts of me that I tend to ignore, resulting in a negative impact. Making someone consciously aware of the potential pitfalls and opportunities of their personality type is a good thing.

Of course, it's all open to interpretation... and I would never suggest that it contains "the truth" or supersedes the precious, spiritual little elf that you truly are... but it seems to help quite a few people see aspects about themselves that suddenly make sense. It seems from the response to this thread that a number of people have had some benefit from the experience. You should give it a go.

Thanks Tambo, I understand what your saying and happily admit to not having the slightest clue as to what its all about other than whats in this thread.

Cheers.

Maz I'd type you as ENTP. It's actually stood out to me in the past.

Particularly a lot of your contemplative abstract threads in Aus Soc (which sometimes get a "wtf" kind of response from more down to earth types, like Immortal Teknique for example, though he did tend to approach almost every thread in that way...) have lead me to believe this.
Also your profession (not just the profession, but the fact that you seem as if you enjoy it and are enthusiastic about it, would suggest a preference for technical types of things, which is fitting for Ti).

Last edited:
hey maz

tambo's post is a great response to your comments. if i described you as a great moderator, would you get upset because i'm labeling you? :)

for me, one of the huge benefits of learning about my personality type was that it brought into sharp focus the reason for many things i say and do. one example, i'm an extrovert and i do a lot of thinking 'outside my head'. that is, i'll often process information for myself by talking about it with others in such a way that what i'm saying isn't always my final analysis. i have one close friend who often jumps on poorly-conceived ideas i present like i'm some kind of idiot. i explained the way i process information externally to her and it improved our relationship.

aside, based on my reading of the types my type - estj - is the best type to be a bl moderator :)

take the test maz? and share your result? i have you pegged as an istj

alasdair

Rated E said:
- oh and iwish is most definitely INFP.

INFPs are highly intuitive about people. They rely heavily on their intuitions to guide them, and use their discoveries to constantly search for value in life. They are on a continuous mission to find the truth and meaning underlying things.

Indeed.

INFPs do not like conflict, and go to great lengths to avoid it. If they must face it, they will always approach it from the perspective of their feelings. In conflict situations, INFPs place little importance on who is right and who is wrong. (What happened there Rated E?!) They focus on the way that the conflict makes them feel, and indeed don't really care whether or not they're right. They don't want to feel badly. This trait sometimes makes them appear irrational and illogical in conflict situations

Well you fucking intuitive psychologist you, stop analyzing me . ;)

As long as we wanna play guess who...I have a few I would suspect of being STFU type :eek:

Well I got an ENFJ.

Apparently that means I am a teacher and after reading the stuff I would tend to agree, however like horoscopes..........I suspect if I read the others that i could fit there as well.

I found 30% of the questions extremely difficult to answer and would have to say i honestly doubt if I did the test again that i would get the same results.

As such, I want to do it again in a few weeks when i have forgotten any answers I may have given.

So Im still a bit unsure as to what it all means..that I am a ENFJ..........and frankly I am not convinced it means anymore than the fact that I am an Aries.

However I found a number of your responses above quite interesting and Alasdair, I understand where your coming from and hopefully this will help you to understand me better maybe but as far as it helping me to understand me..............its just not me if that makes sense...............I already knew I was a very good teacher and good at getting the best out of people, leading and stuff like that. It was interesting to read the feedback but I cant see how it can help me in any other means?

Maybe I am reading it all wrong?

I will admit to hating things such as rating myself which is one of the reasons i hate working for other people..........companies have this annoying thing each year whewre tyhey ask you to rate yourself in a heap of questions and based on your resulkts you get a pay rise.

I have left 2 jobs in the past because I simply couldnt do it. I am intimidated by the concept.............however i love getting feedback from others, positive or negative, and am IMHO excellent at providing feedback to others.

I think that they should have a special section for me so that I can be labelled and thrown in my own little box called W.E.I.R.D.

MazDan said:
So Im still a bit unsure as to what it all means..that I am a ENFJ..........and frankly I am not convinced it means anymore than the fact that I am an Aries.

Um... what?

I doubt the time of year one is born determines their personality type.

Rated E said:
Um... what?

I doubt the time of year one is born determines their personality type.

Well thats not what horoscope peoples would have you believe............ which is exactly my point.

If you read your hortoscope on any given day, more often than not it fits.................but if you read someone elses horoscope instead..............particularly in a blind test then it will fiot more often than not as well.

Hence i am suggesting that if i read the other types, that they would probably "fit" me as well.

Yea for sure.

It's one of the criticisms of MBTI. It is a little too all encompassing, pseudo scientific. ie. many of it's claims can't be refuted because dispositions can be explained in many different ways.