• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What is wrong with following Christ’s teachings?

THEY ARE. I SEE THEM ON THE FUCKING STREET CORNER. EVERY DAY. HOLDING SIGNS. MURDERING BLACK PEOPLE AND MEXICANS. THINKING THEY ARE SUPERIOR.

THEY ARE.
THEY ARE.
THEY ARE.

not all of them, but some of them, the visual extreme

don't distance yourself from them, if you disagree, condemn them and seek reform

stop camouflaging racism amongst religion

and don't deny it doesn't happen

I am admittedly getting fairly angry atm

Lol where do you live that you have Christians on the street corner every day protesting and killing black people and Mexicans? I have no reason to be nice to you given how you've insulted me but a bit of friendly advice, you might want to move out of whatever town you currently live since I can assure you this doesn't happen in most of the country.

FFS, you guys really are conversation killers.

Can’t you just treat The New Testament, as it exists, as a hypothetical guide to living / piece of philosophy and discuss whether what it tells us is good and helpful or not?

I do. So does Hitler, Wayne Gacy and Stalin and shit............ (joking.... kind of)

A piece of writing, no matter how true or good it is, is only as good as how humanity ends up using it. In my view.

It's also in my view that Christianity and religion are to blame for a vast majority of human suffering the last several thousand years of human memory.

Brb, it's my time for them to sacrifice me and rip out my heart in the name of the Snake God, or Jesus, or whatever....

All over the US. Arizona, California, Utah, Texas, North Carolina.

I've seen it EVERYWHERE.

Specifically there is a christian group in north carolina that hangs "JESUS SAVES" signs up - ILLEGALLY - all over town. This is illegal activity. They also like to protest and hold signs up on various days telling me homosexuality is a sin and white people are God's true image.

I see them literally every. fucking. day.

So yeah. Tell me I'm wrong.

Putting a sign up that says Jesus saves or telling you homosexuality is a sin are not examples of protesting black people and killing black people. You are not debating in good faith and haven't been from the beginning, instead you simply change the subject as it suits you. I'm done with you.

Btw, there are black people who believe blacks are the true people of God and the Mormons believe they are the true people of God but this thread isn't supposed to be about the beliefs of splinter groups but the teachings of the New Testament in general.

Last edited:
FFS, you guys really are conversation killers.

Can’t you just treat The New Testament, as it exists, as a hypothetical guide to living / piece of philosophy and discuss whether what it tells us is good and helpful or not?

Good and helpful compared to what?

@SnafuInTheVoid mate, you are kind of de-railing my thread man. It’s not constructive and we’ve had some really good on topic discussions here.

Good and helpful compared to what?

Compared to anything you like I guess. The basic question is whether the New Testament is a good fit for the modern world. And if something is better than the New Testament then why is that so?

@SnafuInTheVoid mate, you are kind of de-railing my thread man. It’s not constructive and we’ve had some really good on topic discussions here.

I have deleted all my recent posts and removed myself from the thread. I have washed my emotions in a bath of alcohol and THC.

I apologize for being too emotional but not for my argument (which I removed).

Love ya guys

Compared to anything you like I guess. The basic question is whether the New Testament is a good fit for the modern world. And if something is better than the New Testament then why is that so?

How do you define good though? There are many different ways society and culture can be constructed, some undoubtedly better than others but ultimately how good they are will depend largely on you ask.

How do you define good though? There are many different ways society and culture can be constructed, some undoubtedly better than others but ultimately how good they are will depend largely on you ask.

I think that’s up to you define in your answer. What aspects of modern society do you like/dislike that Jesus’s teachings (as we have them today) would support/discourage?

I think that’s up to you define in your answer. What aspects of modern society do you like/dislike that Jesus’s teachings (as we have them today) would support/discourage?

I think they teach good, traditional values that have stood the test of time but they tend to alienate people who don't believe and there is a lot of room for disagreement in how to interpret them.

One of the reasons I dislike New testament philosophy is the idea of treating others the way you would like to be treated. The golden rule(phi spiral doorway gateway)

But in my impression.. each person is a bit different than any other person.. different physique.. different personality..

Different wants and needs and different beliefs..

The rule should simply state to treat others morally as you would have them treat you..

Christ is a fellowship..

Imagine the ring in Lord of the Rings..

Except the holding of the ring is salvation instead of destruction..

One of the reasons I dislike New testament philosophy is the idea of treating others the way you would like to be treated. The golden rule(phi spiral doorway gateway)

But in my impression.. each person is a bit different than any other person.. different physique.. different personality..

Different wants and needs and different beliefs..

The rule should simply state to treat others morally as you would have them treat you..

Yeah, the golden rule sounds really good but if you actually think about it, it could justify some really stupid things. There's the example I've read about where one guy cuts another guy off on the road and almost causes an accident and, so the guy who got cut off shoots him. When you tell him he shouldn't have done that because he should treat others how he'd want to be treated, he says "well, if I drove like that I'd deserve to be shot".

Another example is let's say someone I just recently met asks to borrow $100. Well, if I needed to borrow $100 would I like it if the person I asked said yes? Of course. Who doesn't want to be given the benefit of the doubt? Does that mean you should just lend money to anyone who asks for it? If so, that's likely gonna cause you some problems.

I think the whole point is for people who literally don't take anyone else's feelings into account, to take a moment and think what it would be like if someone treated you, how you are treating them. If you're already someone who understands the concept of being considerate toward others, you can ignore the golden rule.

I’ll throw in my thoughts. Yes I think the teachings of Christ are good guidelines for any society. Not they are guidelines not strict rules, at least in my interpretation.

for refer be, I grew up with catholic sunday sschool every week for about 10 yrs growing up. The Catholic Church can go fuck itself (it seems all of us dislike the Christian institutions) but that mindset has framed my spiritual life and is the lens through which i contextualize spirituality/mysticism.

one thing I always struggled with though is the concept of “blessed are the meek”. In sunday school I was taught this idea meant that we should surrender to god our “fortune”, for lack of a better word, because he will take care of us. I remember the nun explicitly answering my question of “so does that mean I shouldn’t study for tests or do work since god will take care of it?” with “yes”

that is problematic to me. Maybe it’s just because I have faith that free will exists but the idea that one can cast worries aside so long as one trusts god makes no sense to me.

perhaps I’m misinterpreting the gist of that scripture, but the idea that we can forgo our worldly responsibilities if we trust in god is unsettling to me

If people have a sense of right and wrong then why did christ die for our sins..

Why can't people imediately choose right?

Because so called "bad" actions demonstrate their worth necesarily.

If people have a sense of right and wrong then why did christ die for our sins..

Why can't people imediately choose right?

Because so called "bad" actions demonstrate their worth necesarily.
Possibly because there are people who are just plain bad.

Possibly because there are people who are just plain bad.
christs death seems like the Christian evolution of Jewish morality of the tree of knowledge and original sin variety to one of simply trying to stop human suffering. His crucifixion was a necessary sacrifice for us to realize what true evil could do to a human.

But I still think those that are interested in theology or spirituality can get something out of them.

Indeed.

A Gnostic Christian will become a universalist, while Christians will become homophobes and misogynistic and discriminate without a just cause.

Strange how Gnostic Christians take the moral universalist high ground, while Christians continue to discriminate without a just cause.

Same bible, read differently and the right way as compared to how Christians read and become evil.

Regards
DL

Atelier3

What is wrong with following Jesus, is that many of his moral tenets are immoral.

Care to try to justify the substitutional punishment of Jesus that we all have to buy into to be saved?

You do know that to take advantage of Jesus' suicide, we have to sin by abdicating our responsibilities.

Right?

You whined about me discrediting Christianity. I can do that with this issue easily.

Care to try to justify the immorality Christians preach for?

Regards
DL