• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What is wrong with following Christ’s teachings?

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation of this—go and study it!" - Rabbi Hillel 1st Century AD

Jesus's teachings and Christianity are not synonymous.

Christian doctrine could be summarized by the gospels and the gospels alone. The rest of the new testament is superfluous.

Not that I subscribe to such teachings or believe in such things, but Christianity would a better and more altruistic religion if its instruction book consisted only of the gospels.

Jesus's teachings and Christianity are not synonymous.

Christian doctrine could be summarized by the gospels and the gospels alone. The rest of the new testament is superfluous.

Not that I subscribe to such teachings or believe in such things, but Christianity would a better and more altruistic religion if its instruction book consisted only of the gospels.
Totally. Also, Christians need to stop telling people they'll burn in Hell for following other religions and saying it's wrong or sinful to be non-Christian. I don't know where that idea came from. Judaism teaches that Jews are the chosen people of God and anyone who wants to convert and join them can, but this isn't necessary for everyone. The idea is being close to God. People can't be judged on what they don't understand or agree with. God judges each person by their deeds and only He knows our hearts

At least this is how I understand it

Totally. Also, Christians need to stop telling people they'll burn in Hell for following other religions and saying it's wrong or sinful to be non-Christian. I don't know where that idea came from. Judaism teaches that Jews are the chosen people of God and anyone who wants to convert and join them can, but this isn't necessary for everyone. The idea is being close to God. People can't be judged on what they don't understand or agree with. God judges each person by their deeds and only He knows our hearts

At least this is how I understand it

I think the idea came from instances where Jesus made statements like:

I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me - John 14:6.

Now you can argue "well, what he really meant was.." or you can point to other parts of the New Testament such as Acts chapter 10 which states:

Then Peter began to speak: “I now truly understand that God does not show favoritism, 35but welcomes those from every nation who fear Him and do what is right. 36He has sent this message to the people of Israel, proclaiming the gospel of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all.

and argue this means people from other religions are acceptable to God provided they fear him and do what is right even if they do not believe in Jesus.

However, I don't think you can blame people who were really trying to follow what the gospels say, to interpret it to mean Jesus is the only way to heaven. Jesus definitely made statements that lend themselves to that interpretation.

It's also important to note that the Catholic Church, was is the largest Christian church worldwide, does not teach that non Christians cannot be saved. They teach that if someone is Hindu for instance, because they believed Hinduism to be true, they can still be saved. Only if someone knows that Jesus is the true way to heaven but willfully elects to follow a different religion, will their salvation be in peril. Even then they theoretically could still be saved if they repented at the time of their death.

Then Peter began to speak: “I now truly understand that God does not show favoritism, 35but welcomes those from every nation who fear Him and do what is right. 36He has sent this message to the people of Israel, proclaiming the gospel of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all.
So that's saying to follow the seven Noahide laws rather than the commandments given to the Jews which only apply to Jews. Nobody's required to believe in God as only He knows their hearts

amen :)

gandhi said: “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

i see examples of that everywhere. e.g.

westboro1.jpg

alasdair
God loves America, he just doesn't like the liberal left and what they're pushing, but that'll end soon, The End times are here, and America will be fighting on Christ's side. I came as the lamb I have returned as the Lion, and those of us who truly believe will be fighting with Jesus on his side, trust me the end is near and the Second Coming of Christ will soon be here!

"Behold for I saw a Pale Horse and on him rode Death and hell followed with him"

God loves America, he just doesn't like the liberal left and what they're pushing, but that'll end soon, The End times are here, and America will be fighting on Christ's side. I came as the lamb I have returned as the Lion, and those of us who truly believe will be fighting with Jesus on his side, trust me the end is near and the Second Coming of Christ will soon be here!

"Behold for I saw a Pale Horse and on him rode Death and hell followed with him"
Isn't the second coming supposed to be the Antichrist?

NO, Gomur. The Antichrist will precede the second coming of Christ according to the book you quoted.

Read the whole chapter again, this time more carefully.

This isn't necessarily an answer to the question, and not in response to anyone, but I see it like this: over time, many brilliant people were Christians (even now) and """got something""" out of it. There's something wrong with many different churches but it would be naive and maybe even somewhat arrogant to write it all of as bullshit or 'wrong, because of superficial interpretation of certain things, you gotta read the Bible in the spirit of its time too.
Following ideas before globalization, industrialization, and the information age is positively retarded.
Eh, many would disagree, that's only a couple 100 years ago, humans are essentially the same, it's just society that has changed.

Maybe too much science and logic has made people somewhat arrogant (not you in particular, society, myself too).

NO, Gomur. The Antichrist will precede the second coming of Christ according to the book you quoted.

Read the whole chapter again, this time more carefully.
It depends how you interpret it. The messiah is supposed to be a man and Christians have different opinions on who it'll be and what that means, think about the resurrection of the dead. For Jews, it's going to be a Davidic King (tribal bloodline) who's simply a human and not a reincarnation of divinity

Some Jewish scholars even say that King David himself might reanimate and take power, so really telling me to read it again doesn't make sense here. I don't even believe in the NT. This is like telling me to find Jesus' name in the OT. It doesn't exist. It's simply an interpretation some fringe group came up with later on that wasn't there in the original texts or rather the ones we have

But yes, keeping this message in the spirit of the thread, one can follow Jesus just as one can follow Mohammed, Buddha or Lao Tzu or any god you wish. It doesn't make you right or wrong or even a good or bad person for doing so either. Your heart makes you good and nobody can tell you that you're wrong

Last edited:
Eh, many would disagree, that's only a couple 100 years ago, humans are essentially the same, it's just society that has changed.

Maybe too much science and logic has made people somewhat arrogant (not you in particular, society, myself too).
Disagreement is fine, but those people are wrong.

Humans are the same creatures, but our civilization and our brains have changed.

When leaded gas was banned, it took years for humans to revert back to their nature.

Modern Humans do not act like classic humans. Even our bodies are different, for example we require corrected vision more than in the past. Social media has altered our society and our brains.

The world and humans are different.

Society is just a distraction like all worldly things. Society can do whatever it wants and it won't change people. That's the only good thing about being human. We have the ability to choose to stay the same or find a way out for ourselves

I agree that pollution is bad though and hurts us, but when people claim that the media affects our thinking and such I cringe because it simply isn't true. People think for themselves no matter what the media tries to portray us as

People think for themselves no matter what the media tries to portray us as
My best rebuttal for this kind of nonsense is to laugh in your face. HAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHA

As a student of David Ogilvy, I know that is untrue for many if not most people.

My best rebuttal for this kind of nonsense is to laugh in your face. HAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHA

As a student of David Ogilvy, I know that is untrue for many if not most people.
So you're saying like, people in Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea are all androids? You're free to believe what you want but it isn't true my friend. Maybe you want to argue and I'll say good, because that means you're thinking for yourself and you're not controlled by the media. The people controlled by the media are the media

So you're saying like, people in Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea are all androids? You're free to believe what you want but it isn't true my friend. Maybe you want to argue and I'll say good, because that means you're thinking for yourself and you're not controlled by the media. The people controlled by the media are the media
Some people think for themselves. Most do not.

I'm not making any statements about nations or races. Just people and the systems they create to live in.

Most people tune into the news and think they got the facts. Not many watch the news, and do some research and think about it and discuss it. At best, they retweet and like.

Some people think for themselves. Most do not.

I'm not making any statements about nations or races. Just people and the systems they create to live in.

Most people tune into the news and think they got the facts. Not many watch the news, and do some research and think about it and discuss it. At best, they retweet and like.
Ah, okay. Then I agree with you

To give a simple answer to a complicated question.

Always turning the other cheek, giving alms to the poor, loving and forgiving unconditionally, especially in a environment fueled by competition and/or natural selection; would most likely ensure a life of poverty and perpetual abuse.

I suppose if you’re a saint, a monk, or have monk-like qualities; this might not be that difficult to endure. But a lot of people would end up jaded, nihilistic, depressed, traumatized and desiring revenge.

Last edited: