• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines What is the risk of serotonin storm when using dmt and SSRI medications?

JoshLobbs

Bluelight Crew
I have heard from many sources that using serotonergic drugs, such as DMT and LSD, in combination with SSRI's can risk serotonin storm. I was wondering how big of a danger is that?
Is it simular to MDMA when in combination with SSRI's?

Pretty much nil. Psychedelics dont release serotonin, different mechanism to mdma. Mind you does mdma and ssri really cause serotonin syndrome? Or is it just some self diagnosed one in a billion reaction someone had and so, like these stories do, instead of one in a billion its now a certainty?

9 people a year die from eating satsumas but i wouldnt panic the next time you are handed one. Serotonin syndrome seems to be something people reach for when thet cant handle their high - i dont think ive ever heard of a genuine case diagnosed by someone with any medical knowledge apart from reading reddit.

It appears that using MAOI's in combination with SSRI's (such as Fluoxetine) significantly raise the risk of Serotonin syndrome.
also i am currently looking into weather or not Saint John's wort is a MAOI or at least similarly to MAOI's (Meaning that it Inhibits Enzymes that break down Neurotransmitters).