• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What is the real damage of maintaining a codeine habit..

sublimefan

Greenlighter
I have been on a prescribed dose of 240mg a day of codeine for a long time. I try not to take any more than that but I know I now depend on it regardless of the pain I have. My question it, what is the actual damage it is doing to me whilst I maintain that dose?

There is almost no damage besides your endogenous opioid production is totally reduced, you slightly numb your CNS and everything but the most stressfull part about being addicted to opiates is, that u have to have them all the tíme.. U ARE in big trouble if u cant score.

Provided there's no paracetamol/acetaminophen or ibuprofen or some other substance in addition to the codeine in what you're taking.

Then the long term damage should be very minimal. As others have said, there's dependence, but that's generally not physically damaging as much as it is unpleasant.

Opioids can mess up hormones, low testosterone in males, menstrual cycle disruptions in females. But neither seem likely to be to such an extent as to cause long term harm.

It's a totally different story however if there is any substance in what you're taking apart from codeine. In the long term high doses of nsaids like ibuprofen, or of paracetamol/acetaminophen can be harmful. Mainly stomach ulcers, and putting a strain on the kidney and or liver.

How long term? Probably decades though I'm sure it also depends on your age and individual sensitivity. But it is a longer term risk factor.

There shouldn't be any direct damage to your body as a result of taking Codeine. At worst, I imagine you could develop issues with your bowels or something, but I feel like you would be aware of something like that. Really, there are not a lot of overtly negative effects from Opioid-dependency.

There shouldn't be any direct damage to your body as a result of taking Codeine. At worst, I imagine you could develop issues with your bowels or something, but I feel like you would be aware of something like that. Really, there are not a lot of overtly negative effects from Opioid-dependency.

Does this apply to Oxycodone as well? I've been prescribed 120mg of Oxycodone IR for 3 years..

Some peps take codeine on a empty stomach it’s a better high , sadly you can’t keep that going forever , it will damage you stomach in the long run .

My stomach 😫

Are you taking codeine with ibuprofen or some other NSAID in it?

I ask cause lot of side effects people attribute to codeine turn out to be from something else that was taken with the codeine.

No mate, straight Codeine phosphate . I was always very careful

I dose on average twice a night 8 x 30mg but I wouldn’t eat for 4-5 hours before my first dose

This happened after about 5-6 years of daily use . Then I started noticing I would get very nauseous and started sweating after say 30 mins of my first dose , then one night it got worse and worse until I ended up vomiting bright yellow / green bile and blood .. Went to see my Doctor who sent me for tests , it turned out my stomach linings was ( irritable ) which caused a peptic ulcer , I did at this time decide to stop taking codeine the vomiting blood really really freaked me out also the Doctor had started me on meds to repair my stomach lining the treatment lasted about 6 month to fix ... then a year or so later I was feeling much much better I just decided to purchasea couple of packs of codeine . That was 7 years ago .

I still don’t eat before dosing but I do drink about a litre of coke each night , I think it’s help , there not laying on a empty stomach eating away at my stomach lining 😛 .

Just keep an eye on your self

I think your blaming codeine for problems caused by something else.i also dosed codeine daily for 7yrs and have breakfast then codeine and never had an ulcer.empty stomach or not never made a difference as it was dissolved in water.starving yourself and drinking a litre of soft drink sounds more unhealthy than taking codeine.

I still don’t eat before dosing but I do drink about a liter of coke each night , I think it’s help , there not laying on a empty stomach eating away at my stomach lining 😛 .
You are joking right? If you were drinking this much shit before your GI problems, I'm quite sure that Codeine wasn't the reason.

Ok Ok .... can I change my statement too

Be careful about taking tablets on a empty stomach.

You are joking right? If you were drinking this much shit before your GI problems, I'm quite sure that Codeine wasn't the reason.
Yeah that is SUPER acidic. I'm mad at myself for my single cup of joe each morning... a liter of coke daily? Yeah, that'll give you GI distress lol

No No ... empty stomach and tablets caused a peptic ulcer ( that’s what the GP said ) his words not mine .

since drinking a bottle of coke with tablets each evening no problems 7 years now :giggle: