• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos What is more sedating, lorazepam or diazepam ?

Kdem

Bluelighter
For some time I ´ve been taking lorazepam.

Perhaps it is more sensible to switch to diazepam.

Dose equivalencies aside, which one is more sedating ? Especially with regard to sleep promoting effects.

Diazepam would be a poor choice for insomnia due to it's extremely long half life that would affect your cognition in the daytime. Better choices would be benzodiazepines such as estazolam, flurazepam, temazepam or triazolam. Temazepam is a great choice because unlike other benzos it tends not to interfere with the REM-sleep stage.

Thanks, but perhaps I was not sufficiently clear.

I intend to taper. Currently taking it twice a day. A long time ago I tried diazepam and found it was not easy to tolerate. But that was a long time ago.

Most of the sedating properties of lorazepam have worn off. Other issues aside, how does the sedation of lorazepam compare to diazepam ?

I've only done Lorazepam at high doses 2-6mg and personally Diazepam at the same sort of dose 20-60mg is far more sedating. In terms of sitting still with 0 motivation to move.

Lorazepam has me FUCKED UP like if I'm tingly n drunk and completely twisted. But I'm able to move around on it far easier.

Otherwise low doses of Valium are also very "don't want to move". It's always been the most sedating in my books.

If you are tapering, diazepam and clonazepam are good choices.

Lorazepam is good for panic attacks whereas diazepam is good for muscle relaxation, although they both obviously have anxiolytic properties. They are about equal (perhaps diazepam being slightly more sedating) when it comes to hypnotic effects, but diazepam is the gold standard for tapering off benzodiazepines. If that is what you are doing then I would recommend it for that purpose.

Since the sedation of lorazepam has worn off and sleep is an issue (understatement!), is there anything that I can take for a hypnotic effect ? I don´t mind if it´s GABAergic. Antihistamines, antipsychotics and antidepressants don´t do much (good) for me.

It's different for everyone. Lorazepam is a strong benzo but has no active metabolites as compared to diazepam, which as was said above can last for days. They sure are .great. together, but I've got a 20 year tolerance. so be careful

Since the sedation of lorazepam has worn off and sleep is an issue (understatement!), is there anything that I can take for a hypnotic effect ? I don´t mind if it´s GABAergic. Antihistamines, antipsychotics and antidepressants don´t do much (good) for me.

Then Gabapentin or Pregabalin (Lyrica) would be a good choice but they are addictive as well but Gaba helps me sleep very good even in low doses (100-300mg).
Other more harmless suggestions would be Melatonine, Opipramol and of course Valerian extract.

It´s sad that midazolam (oral) doesn´t knock me out at all, it´s a very mild drug. Must be my clonazepam tolerance.

Ativan is a must-have drug if I'm out on a run... Especially if I'm using stimulants, it takes that edge off nicely.

As far as Ativan or Valium, I dont think it really matters to tell u the truth. Ativan is a more recent drug, Valium is old school. So I'd go with something newer anyday. Plus, the ratio is like 10-1. 1mg of Ativan is like 10mg Valium.

i might not have given ativan a fair chance but man it really gave me memory loss or even at small doses i would feel drunk off my ass and would end up falling asleep
could never get the right dose in

i might not have given ativan a fair chance but man it really gave me memory loss or even at small doses i would feel drunk off my ass and would end up falling asleep
could never get the right dose in
All benzos make it hard to remember anything, even when you're not mixing it with alcohol or other drugs. I use to have a script for 20mgs of benzos a day! it was like 5 klonopins and 10 xanax a day. Insane, 100 xanax every 10 days... fuckin Drs man. I really do have an anxiety disorder though so I got screwed in in the end... But anyway. I cant recall anything from that 5 years of my life, honestly.

All benzos make it hard to remember anything, even when you're not mixing it with alcohol or other drugs. I use to have a script for 20mgs of benzos a day! it was like 5 klonopins and 10 xanax a day. Insane, 100 xanax every 10 days... fuckin Drs man. I really do have an anxiety disorder though so I got screwed in in the end... But anyway. I cant recall anything from that 5 years of my life, honestly.

well many docs and ER docs have told me ativan can help you forget "stressful" events panic/anxiety attacks def fall under that category
i also have anxiety and get .5mg xanax which i take less than half of that... i have taken quite a few benzos
although memory loss is common among benzo i never exp high amounts of memory loss iike i did while i was on ativan

well many docs and ER docs have told me ativan can help you forget "stressful" events panic/anxiety attacks def fall under that category
i also have anxiety and get .5mg xanax which i take less than half of that... i have taken quite a few benzos
although memory loss is common among benzo i never exp high amounts of memory loss iike i did while i was on ativan
well if you're able to keep it to .5 xanax and not go over or feel the need to... you're definitely not an addict.

More than likely it's different for everyone but diazepam sedates me whereas lorazepam does two things: jack and shit... unless a bigger dose is used.

well if you're able to keep it to .5 xanax and not go over or feel the need to... you're definitely not an addict.
.125mg is enough at times handful of times over a long period time where i had to take .25mg :) just will power to control that shit
sadly people let xanax control them