• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos What is more important in benzo addiction?

Theroux

Bluelighter
What are your opinions on what is the more important factor in becoming addicted to diazepam? Frequency or Quantity?

I understand that both play a role but what is going to build tolerance more quickly and be the faster path to addiction?

For example, if I have 100mg worth of diazepam:

1) Taking 2.5mg regularly (once a day) until done

2) Taking 10mg over 10 days

Also is 100mg split regularly enough to suffer withdrawals when not using? I may be being over dramatic but can see how easy it is too fall into the trap/ becoming addicted without realising?

IMO, the second scenario would be the fastest way to addiction and to build a tolerance.. Although dependency could occur with the first scenario as well. Physical dependency can occur quite rapidly with benzos, as short as few days, in some cases. So be extremely careful!

- Hopeless

Either way, since it's subjective. High dose, fast will make your body used to it quickly, is wasteful and less safe. Now #1 while still be addictive, but gives you more therapeutic usage and discontinuation will be less of a shock to your body and mind. I would stick with #1.

Everyone is different. As far as I know Diazepam stay longer in the blood stream so if only these two choice were available I'd choose number one.

However, addiction to benzos should be treated properly and you could seek treatment or look for medical assistance for doing it the best way you could so that this is 'resolved'.

^ I second this. Benzo withdrawal has the potential to be fatal, and should be handle under medical supervision. Also if youre not yet dependent on them, just the shear fact that youre asking how not to get addicted to them, should give you enough warning to stay away from them. But if youre going to do them, do small doses and space them days apart. Once per week would be optimal.

- Hopeless Soul

As they stated everyone is different and for my body from what ive noticed addiction and withdrawl comes from amount of time taking a drug consistently and dosage amount doesnt quite matter except with lower doses the intensity of the withdrawl obviously wouldnt be as rough. So i personally would take 10mg a day for 10 days so im not on it as long. Everyone os dofferent and addiction can happen to different people in different ways in dofferent amounts of time or dosage. If you dont know your body that well yet ide flip a coin and just go with it and see what happens. Either way i honestly cant see you having a physical addiction to valium but hey your body could be strange. Proceed with caution because as others stated benzo WD can possibly kill you. One of my best friends dad (who was also one of my best friends for a long time now) just died over the winter from benzo withdrawl and it was from basically forgetting to take his morning dose because he thought he did. Sad fucking day. So be careful with benzos, they are no joke

Thanks guys for the advice, I'm unfortunately/fortunately someone who likes to be prepared when it comes to drugs which leads to me having enough to be prepared for the future. I thought this was the smart choice, you know, no mad rushes on the day of the blaze/party/rave cos I'm already set.

However, I'm learning that this just can't happen with me so at the moment I have plenty of diazepam for future comedowns but the temptation is there to just think "well I have all these why not take a 2.5 to get a nice sleep". Same with coke I have the choice between good, purer coke which I need to get earlier, however, I get it and it's gone before the party even happens. :p

Just gonna have avoid stockpiling and take the good with the bad, better than the alternative of addiction. :\

P.S Sorry for the loss DoesntLearn

What are your opinions on what is the more important factor in becoming addicted to diazepam? Frequency or Quantity?

I understand that both play a role but what is going to build tolerance more quickly and be the faster path to addiction?

For example, if I have 100mg worth of diazepam:

1) Taking 2.5mg regularly (once a day) until done

2) Taking 10mg over 10 days

Also is 100mg split regularly enough to suffer withdrawals when not using? I may be being over dramatic but can see how easy it is too fall into the trap/ becoming addicted without realising?
I'm not sure. I've been on diazepam for four years now and take 100mg plus when needed (e.g. speeches). I've gone 2 weeks without any and have not had withdrawal symptoms. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Diazepam also has a super long half life, though after a week I imagine you'd start feeling withdrawals if you were going to have any. Also diazepam is a rather weak benzo mg/mg compared to clonazepam or xanax. 10mg=.5mg alpraz/clonaz. I don't really think that you would develop withdrawals from taking 10mg/day for 10 days. It's possible I suppose, but that's like getting addicted after spreading 2 1/2 xanax bars over the course of 10 days. IME you have to use rather high dosages to become dependent in such a short period of time or you have to use frequent lower dosages (like .5mg of xanax every couple hours).

I honestly wouldn't bother taking 2.5mg of Diazepam, I don't believe that could have a therapeutic benefit in terms of anxiety, as it's equivalent to taking .125mg of clonazepam. Some people argue that there is an effect at such dosages, and if that works for you that's great, but I've never felt a thing from such a low dosage, even when in acute benzo withdrawal. So IMO it would be better to take 10mg/day as there will be therapeutic benefit and its realistically unlikely that you will develop a physical addiction (at that dose over ten days).

Thanks guys for the advice, I'm unfortunately/fortunately someone who likes to be prepared when it comes to drugs which leads to me having enough to be prepared for the future. I thought this was the smart choice, you know, no mad rushes on the day of the blaze/party/rave cos I'm already set.

However, I'm learning that this just can't happen with me so at the moment I have plenty of diazepam for future comedowns but the temptation is there to just think "well I have all these why not take a 2.5 to get a nice sleep". Same with coke I have the choice between good, purer coke which I need to get earlier, however, I get it and it's gone before the party even happens. :p

Just gonna have avoid stockpiling and take the good with the bad, better than the alternative of addiction. :\

P.S Sorry for the loss DoesntLearn

Not to give bad advice, but the point is dosing correctly and in such a way that you don't develop bad habits. Having a supply, doesn't mean you will turn into a drug fiend or heavy addict. It could mean that your self control is so good, that you have extras. Nothing wrong with that. If you are saying that you would use more if you had extra, then by all means, don't stockpile.

Diazepam also has a super long half life, though after a week I imagine you'd start feeling withdrawals if you were going to have any. Also diazepam is a rather weak benzo mg/mg compared to clonazepam or xanax. 10mg=.5mg alpraz/clonaz. I don't really think that you would develop withdrawals from taking 10mg/day for 10 days. It's possible I suppose, but that's like getting addicted after spreading 2 1/2 xanax bars over the course of 10 days. IME you have to use rather high dosages to become dependent in such a short period of time or you have to use frequent lower dosages (like .5mg of xanax every couple hours).

I honestly wouldn't bother taking 2.5mg of Diazepam, I don't believe that could have a therapeutic benefit in terms of anxiety, as it's equivalent to taking .125mg of clonazepam. Some people argue that there is an effect at such dosages, and if that works for you that's great, but I've never felt a thing from such a low dosage, even when in acute benzo withdrawal. So IMO it would be better to take 10mg/day as there will be therapeutic benefit and its realistically unlikely that you will develop a physical addiction (at that dose over ten days).

Type O Zenegitive( had to say that), I wanted to throw another way of looking at it into the mix. To OP, I am currently prescribed 10 mg of Valium, 3X/day. There are days that even after taking 30 mg a day, I could take 5 mg and feel it very well and it lasts. The blue generics are scored just for that reason. Why take 10 mg, when five will do the trick.!

Yeah, I agree that 5mg of diazepam isn't worthless, that's the lowest dose I've ever tried that brought me some relief from acute withdrawals, but below that (or an equivalent dose of .125mg/xanax/clonazepam) I've found to be completely worthless.

I've also tried taking .125mg of clonazepam and xanax and the equivalent in diazepam at times when I had 0 tolerance, and I still found no noticeable effect in terms of anxiety relief unless I took at least .25mg. However they score it for a reason, I suppose. It's just my opinion really, if 2.5mg of Diazepam will give you relief then god bless you!

Speed King, it's really just the benzos and coke I have trouble with. I have about 1/2 oz of sour diesel sitting around cos I decided to give weed a break, same with amphetamine, 2cb ...

Problem with benzos for me is that I buy in pharmaceutical blister packs so even if I only want 5 10mg I end up with 28. Jut another test of self control I guess. It's the goddam subtlety that gets me with benzos.

The kindling effect is playing a big role in benzo users issues upon discontinuation, and the kindling effect gets stronger every time you withdraw - fluctuating plasma levels could be a "small withdrawal", and in that you might see some kindling (long term potentiation). More random usage (non stable plasma levels) has been shown to induce kindling more than stable plasma levels as I recall.