Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What is ego loss?

dada

Bluelighter
Hello ive taken acid, mushrooms and ketamine in high doses several times and i was wondering what and how do you no when youve experienced ego loss. Is it simply just when you realise your a social animal and are able to put society into perspective? i don't know.. some one plz explain it in lay terms. Thank you,

I think of it when you have no control whatsoever on the experience you're having. A lot of people use the term lightly, but I think of it as an intense uncontrollable dream, that may or may not be remembered, that has special meaning, and not know what you are doing in real life (be it laying there still, doing a series of automatic behaviour or having a sort of seizure).

It is pretty debatable as most people have their own opinion what it is.
Some people say true ego loss can NOT be remembered AT ALL by the conscious mind or memory.

I've looked into this subject fairly deeply, particularly in the context of Eastern spiritual traditions. There's really no simple way to explain ego loss to someone "uninitiated" on the subject. Really there's no way to even comprehend ego loss. Both the (supposed) explainer and comprehender are themselves considered to be aspects of ego -- quite a paradox. But I'll take a stab anyway...

Certain Eastern spiritual traditions (actually they're global, but probably more prevalent in the East) teach that there never was such a thing as an ego or a "me" in the first place, and that the belief in its existence is due to a basic misapprehension of reality. If/when this root misperception drops away, the resulting state is sometimes termed 'enlightenment'.

I don't know how else to explain this in a few words, so I'll stop there... you can probably use a search engine as well as I can.

I define ego loss as losing my identity. That is I forget my family, friends and myself. I don't remember that I am a human being and what it means to function in reality as a member of society. All there is is an experience to new worlds/dimensions/realities where anything is possible.

this isnt a place of humour bingo bango! this is life or death stuff.

I basicly agree with college dropout.
(I think) I had ego loss on 5-meo-dmt once. looked at what i was doing from a un-biased perspective. it was very depressing actually, i felt horrible.

I find Ketamine to be the biggest cause of ego loss for me. Large doses, and I have no conception of 'me'. I am still concious, but I am no longer myself. No memories, no identity, no real thoughts, I'm just 'there'. It really is impossible to explain it to someone who hasn't experienced it....

College_dropout has the best explanation for this.

I've only experienced ego loss once and that was on a high dose of shrooms. I no longer felt connected to my body, it was like having a third person perspective on everything that was happening. I had become a single thought traveling through time and space, it felt like I was connected through energy with everything around me, yet I was nothing at the same time. I coud no longer feel anything on my skin, no sensations at all, so simple things like try to pick something up, or simply walking seemed impossible.

Nothing I saw or felt was familiar, I freaked out pretty bad at first but once I had calmed myself done enough, I was able to let go and it become one of the most mind altering and eye opening experiences of my life.

Jimity said:
I find Ketamine to be the biggest cause of ego loss for me. Large doses, and I have no conception of 'me'. I am still concious, but I am no longer myself. No memories, no identity, no real thoughts, I'm just 'there'. It really is impossible to explain it to someone who hasn't experienced it....

lol sounds like a K-hole to me. Do people experience this "ego loss" w/o being under the influence of a substance?¿

Ego loss is a stupid concept in many ways- nothing is lost, just shifted and connected in different ways. Timothy Leary started this myth/meme with his reinterpretation of The Tibetan Book of the Dead, equating psychedelic high dosing with death (Learys first LSD experience wasn't like a blotter or two- more like 2-3mg).

The only drug that resembles death is 5-meO-DMT though it clearly is not death, just ego shift and trippy oblivion. Many claim the k-holeto also feel like death/dying though i can't judge, i've never been able to take enough ketamine to do that.

For maximum ego shift and manipulation i like good ole Elfspice, n,nDMT for transformin a boring day/week/life! :)

"Ego Death"

"It is characterised by the perceived loss of boundaries between self and environment."

I'd say thats the same as ego loss.

Negcreep said:
lol sounds like a K-hole to me. Do people experience this "ego loss" w/o being under the influence of a substance?¿

Erowid said:
"In sub-anesthetic doses, however, Ketamine produces a profound "dissociative" effect, also known as an "emergent" state. This state is often described in terms of ego-loss, and is closely related to accounts of out-of-body experiences, near-death eperiences, astral travel, etc."

Erowid

Sounds like the same thing to me....

Ego loss is real.

It occurs when you forget who you are, what you are, what you are doing, and that you even took a drug in the first place.

It is all most like your a chair, or a lake or something.

You lose all sense of "self".

Hard to describe unless you experience it.

Take a very high dose of mushrooms, and you will experience it.

Whatever you took for your highest dose, double that until you hit ego loss.

I usually experience it to some degree or another, with anything over 10 grams of standard Psilocybe Cubensis.

Needless to say, you might want to seriously consider how psychologically strong you are before *trying* to lose your sense of self or to dissociate. It can be a terrifying experience... although obviously some people cope better with this than others. Dissociation is not everyone's cup of tea, so to speak ;)

Loss of your own perceived 'sense of self' is a pretty good way of describing it.

I exerperienced this on a high dose of DXM. The biggest thing I remember from it was having no point of reference.

i.e. I could not remember who/what I was or even how I used to be. I had no past experiences or feelings draw on or anything I could use to define myself.

wow, i didnt know there was a word for it untill now..
Ive had this occasionally, almost last night even when i was drinking & smoking..
Its freaky as FUK when you try to think of your mums name, what happened yesterday, today or where you are in life and your mind is just.. BLANK!! - i freak a little, but it sorts its self out eventually.

Does anyone get this often like i do?? - I dont even have large quantities of drugs, though i smoke daily & do pills of a weekend.. Its usually when im stoned, pissed or coming down of biccis when it does happen..

Tronica said:
Needless to say, you might want to seriously consider how psychologically strong you are before *trying* to lose your sense of self or to dissociate. It can be a terrifying experience... although obviously some people cope better with this than others. Dissociation is not everyone's cup of tea, so to speak ;)

I hear ya. I was scared shitless after having a K pill expecting a MDxx experience. I like to have two feet on the ground always, although the honeymoon period for E kinda felt like you were floating :p =D

mmm After I was very stoned once and hit a LOT of nitrous I was lieing in a sand pit and just kind of gazing at the world but wasn't really thinking at all. I can remember now touching the sand but at the time I didn't know what it was, in fact its as though infomation is still comeing in through the senses but thats all that happens. Its hard to explain I could feel the gritty on my fingers but there was no realisation of what it was, only feeling. This was with all my senses until I came too.

Would that be ego loss? Not knowing what anything is or really knowing anything at all just experenceing? I fully think that if someone would have set me on fire I would have felt it but it would not have hurt because I wouldn't know what pain is.