• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What is a good taper to get off 25mg methadone

That's hilarious. It reminded me of when I got stopped in Iowa City when I was a grad student at the University of Iowa while I was tripping on shrooms. The cop knew I was wasted on something, but I didn't stink of alcohol and there were no drugs in the car. When he stopped me, I asked him how fast I had been going and he said 14mph. It's not as bad as it sounds, because it was a residential neighborhood and the speed limit was only 25, but still. I remember as he was running my license and plates being mesmerized by the flashing blue lights in the rear view mirror.

I’m at the 120 day mark since I first started my thread here on BL.

I’ve stayed clean and I’m doing pretty good. Once I started feeling better (post WDs), my energy levels came back – and my appetite increased. I’ve gained 10 pounds, but I have been underweight a while, so I think I’m right where I should be now (6ft tall, 168 pounds). I do have to make conscious effort to stay out of the refrigerator though – I'm finding it’s pretty easy to get on the “seefood” diet.

Getting clean does bring challenges. One is feeling bored when I didn’t used to, and I’ve dealt with that by doing more stuff during the day and it’s become my new normal. I am not good at doing stuff just for the sake of doing stuff (boring), but I seem to always be able to find something that interests me enough that my time is all used up by the end of the day. IMO, letting one’s self stay bored “week after week” after getting clean can be the road back to using drugs.

If you are reading this and are feeling that boredom, think back to before drugs - and remember the things you did during those days. Think about reconnecting with those people who you lost track of for one reason or another, then plan to spend time with them again. Think also about things you see others do that you wish you could do, and ask them to show you how or take a class to learn it. Even a crossword puzzle beats sitting there feeling restless.

I am sleeping good every night now. I still have back pain issues that wake me, but while I sleep, it feels like I am getting more rested than I have been in years.

This is the last post by me in this thread for a while. I’m not leaving BL, but I feel it’s time to let this thread fall off the front page and instead let that space be used by people who are struggling now.

The best way to predict the future is to create it ��

That's awesome Dale . You went through hell and back thats for sure. You even did it without comfort meds . I thought the poppy seed tea guy had it rough, but I believe you had it worse . When it takes 40+ days to start feeling half human again then you sure dont want to go through it again. I know this bluelight.org is used for research and it would be interesting to see how many people are searching for methadone use or methadone detox info. My good friend is a drug counselor and said he is seeing more people getting on opiate replacement therapy than he's ever seen since the stricter laws . The pain clinic days are about long gone and are pushing everyone to either illegal drugs or suboxone/methadone. I truly feel for them when they get ready to detox.
Your thread will be used hopefully by others looking to quit and help them gain insight of the process. I'm glad your feeling normal now . Your boredom can be easily cured by a new hobby. Your in a beautiful area that has so much to to do. Feel fortunate your in a vibrant place. A good adrenaline rush type hobby can easily cure boredom . I hope you keep checking in on us SL rats. You've been a main stay here for a while and it's kinda sad ,but happy also that your closing your thread. This can be a mental closing to opiate addiction and a opening to a new beginning.

FWIW Dale, keeping you recovery journal updated on here would likely be a useful resource for others.

There is no need to really worry about taking up space on the front page. There is plenty of room for everyone as is, especially considering SL only gets so much traffic.

Either way, do what feels right for you. It’s been a pleasure hearing you story. Eventually I’ll get around to adding it to the recovery journal section of the directory. Great example of how to do it :)

Well, I purposely waited to reply to your post Dale,

Made me feel kind of sad to read your post initially, so I didn't want to post right away, I had to think about this reply.

I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that you mean so much to me, we really are sidekicks to each other. ; ) And i just had a look at our start dates on this site, you joined about a week before me.

You were the first person that really struck me on here, your posts have always been so kind and caring, I have really tried to model myself after you. You have great character Dale.

Veni, Vidi, Vici. You are an exemplary model of how wd's can be done.

If anything, we need MORE threads like yours open so that others see that is is possible. There are so many horror stories and depressing fail statistics out there. It is threads like yours that are much needed.

You are a fantastic guy, a thoughtful, caring and wonderful friend and I hope to see you around SL for a long time to come Dale.

Love and support to you my dear friend,
Ash.

snoopy-and-charlie-brown-1-sutss0yoiw-1024x768.jpg

I’m at the 120 day mark since I first started my thread here on BL.

I’ve stayed clean and I’m doing pretty good. Once I started feeling better (post WDs), my energy levels came back – and my appetite increased. I’ve gained 10 pounds, but I have been underweight a while, so I think I’m right where I should be now (6ft tall, 168 pounds). I do have to make conscious effort to stay out of the refrigerator though – I'm finding it’s pretty easy to get on the “seefood” diet.

Getting clean does bring challenges. One is feeling bored when I didn’t used to, and I’ve dealt with that by doing more stuff during the day and it’s become my new normal. I am not good at doing stuff just for the sake of doing stuff (boring), but I seem to always be able to find something that interests me enough that my time is all used up by the end of the day. IMO, letting one’s self stay bored “week after week” after getting clean can be the road back to using drugs.

If you are reading this and are feeling that boredom, think back to before drugs - and remember the things you did during those days. Think about reconnecting with those people who you lost track of for one reason or another, then plan to spend time with them again. Think also about things you see others do that you wish you could do, and ask them to show you how or take a class to learn it. Even a crossword puzzle beats sitting there feeling restless.

I am sleeping good every night now. I still have back pain issues that wake me, but while I sleep, it feels like I am getting more rested than I have been in years.

This is the last post by me in this thread for a while. I’m not leaving BL, but I feel it’s time to let this thread fall off the front page and instead let that space be used by people who are struggling now.

The best way to predict the future is to create it ��

Last edited:
9k=
9k=
Happy 120 plus days my dear friend Dale/Yoda!!! You're the BEST!!!

9k=
images

Wow , 120 days . That's great encouragement for others that read this. You really owe it to yourself to celebrate the big 120 day.

--- How are you feeling now ? I know I've read your thread probably 5 times and remember how hard you had it for over a month . I remember you said you slept in your clothes to ward off the burning cold. I laughed about it before I made the jump , but now I can totally relate. I threw a woolrich down comforter on top of our 3 other blankets to help me . The burning sensation is neuropathy from were the methadone rewired our brains , so I've read.

Last edited:
hik, tpd & Ash!,

Thank you for posting. I feel energized and inspired with so much goodwill coming from all of you!

TPD: you were first on the scene when I showed up here, and you helped me get through the hardest times. No judgement - just trying to give good advice and always there during those rough first weeks checking on me. Thank you for that.

Ash: You always post with a smile in your words and you share yourself with many people here. Even when you felt bad and had your own stuff to deal with, you always took time to check in on people in many threads. You've been a good sounding board and always give good advice. Who would have thought a conservative and a die-hard liberal like me would turn out to be good friends :)

hik - It was Ash who first told me about you and suggested I read your thread. I couldn't relate much to a lot of the drug lingo in BL threads and sometimes I had no idea what people were using, but I knew methadone real well. I am glad that we connected and I was able to talk to you through your WDs. You're a good decent person and I feel good knowing I have been a helpful part in your journey. You asked how am I doing now? Pretty good overall. I feel good most of the time and stay pretty busy with a long list of projects I keep adding to. I am in a good place.

Thank you to everyone who spent time sharing with me here on BL. It has been a very positive experience for me.

I'm not gonna be here every day, but my SL story hasn't ended. I fully intend to keep writing in my thread from time to time, and I will always post the funny jokes or memes that I dream up or find online. And on that note...

1z4vnm9.jpg

Your friend,
Dale

Hi Everyone,

I'm leaving soon to finally go see my brother. (Late flight). I talked about this quite a while back and it's finally time!

I'm still clean and doing okay. I've definitely slowed down since I was on methadone, but I still get things done. I don't think about methadone much anymore - unless something I see or hear triggers the thoughts, but when I do, I think about mostly is how much b.s. I had to go through in the last year just to stay on that drug. I am so glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. Looks like it's time to head out.

I hope you all are doing okay and are feeling good.

"At the Dairy Queen: Me: I'd like a Medium Oreo Blizzard please... DQ person: Do you wanna spoon? Me: Sure, what time do you get off" :)

Your friend,
Dale

Hi Everyone,

I'm leaving soon to finally go see my brother. (Late flight). I talked about this quite a while back and it's finally time!

I'm still clean and doing okay. I've definitely slowed down since I was on methadone, but I still get things done. I don't think about methadone much anymore - unless something I see or hear triggers the thoughts, but when I do, I think about mostly is how much b.s. I had to go through in the last year just to stay on that drug. I am so glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. Looks like it's time to head out.

I hope you all are doing okay and are feeling good.

"At the Dairy Queen: Me: I'd like a Medium Oreo Blizzard please... DQ person: Do you wanna spoon? Me: Sure, what time do you get off" :)

Your friend,
Dale
you are my fucking hero dude!! Seriously. You are one one tough sob. I wish I could be as positive as you. You made a goal, smashed it when it tried to kill you, and did it all the while with your head up, and never wavered. Your awesome. People need you. Especially on this site. If for nothing else your humor. Haha

I am! Good for you!

Sometimes I feel guilty, as an addict ya know, that we have ruined it for you people in legit pain...well, ya know, us and the chronic pain patients who sold us their pills which got us hooked ;) (my story anyways)

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking medication if it helps the quality of your life. That's why I don't feel bad on methadone...my life would be awful right now without it...fuck what people think.

Glad to see your, er face (handle? lol) around again!

Hi Dale,

I think you're back from your trip by now?

Haven't heard from you, so I hope you are well and I hope you had a great trip and visit with your brother!!

Can't wait to hear all about it!

Hugs,
your friend,
Ash.

Hi Everyone-

I just looked on my calendar and it looks like I passed 150 days earlier this week. I remember being pretty sick from withdrawals and thinking about the months ahead - especially the 90 and 120 day marks. I wondered back then if I would ever really feel 100% truly normal again. I"m pretty sure I'm there now as I have no withdrawals at all. I'm still drug free (except for a lot more aspirin). I have long periods of time (weeks) where I've stopped thinking about methadone/opiates. That doesn't mean I forgot what withdrawals were like, but more that I don't have this issue tethered to the center of my attention span like it used to be. I am so glad to be this far past that first day I began this journey.

I went to see my brother and had a really nice time there. I sure wish he lived closer. We get along pretty well and had a good time. It was also really nice having my brother or his wife ask me what I wanted, then cook my breakfast, lunch and dinner! It could get used to that kind of service real fast :) It is hot where he lives in Arizona, but we'd had such a long hot spell in SoCal, that it actually felt cooler in Tucson. One thing that caught my attention was gas prices. It's 2.49/gallon all over in Tucson, but is 3.59/gallon at the cheapest place here in SoCal for the same grade of gas. What a ripoff!

I am still "slowed down" physically since stopping methadone and I think this is my normal. I still have pain, but I haven't let up on my resolve to stay off opiates. My mind is much clearer now. It's easier to remember things and far more easy to concentrate on stuff. I like that part of being sober a lot. It's too bad big pharma can't figure out an opiate variant that doesn't trigger physical or psychological addiction but still provides good pain relief.

I think of the friends I've made here in BL often, and I hope you are all doing really well and are reaching your goals in life.

Your friend,
Dale

ej9duu.jpg

Last edited:
Hello my dear friend Dale!!

Past 150, that's so amazing, but so are you. Happy to hear that you're feeling 100 again. So good for others to see that it can be done, it will give them hope and something to strive for.

Huge congratulations Dale, I couldn't be happier for you!

Hugs,
your friend,
Ash.

Hey Dale,

I'm glad to see you're still going strong!! ;). I'm now approaching 5 months sober and my life is now looking a whole lot better. I cut myself off from the internet for a few months and sold my laptops as I was having urges to source drugs. I used that money and got myself some gym equipment, some running shoes and other running gear. Exercise has definitely helped with the PAWS, it's quite addictive too taking up a lot of my free time, which can only be a good thing. My cravings are not so frequent now and they no longer ruin my day or leave me feeling down. So, I picked up a cheap laptop and decided to stop living a hermit lifestyle.

ps. I still can't stop sneezing though. :\

Last edited:
Hi GD!!!!

So happy to hear from you on here again!! I left you a message on your thread a while back and wondered where you were, and how you were doing. Now I know, you're killing it!!!!

Glad to hear you're doing so well, love your resolve and happy you're keeping busy and getting healthy with your exercise schedule.

So proud of you, and I've missed you around here, please come back more often.

Your friend,
always here for you,
love and support,
your friend,
Ash.