-2 garlic cloves, minced

-1 cup vegetable or chicken stock

-1 1/2 cups lightly packed fresh dill, stems removed before measuring

-2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

-1/4 teaspoon salt

-1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

-1/4 cup sour cream

Directions​

1. Cut 2 (12-inch) square sheets of aluminum foil. Place 2 fillets side by side on each square and fold up the outer edges. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of lemon juice over each fillet. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. Fold and pinch the aluminum foil extra tightly to create a watertight seal around each pair of fillets. Make sure the packet is airtight by pressing down on it gently with your hand. If air escapes easily, rewrap.
  3. Place foil packets on the top rack of the dishwasher. Run dishwasher for the entire "normal" cycle. When cycle is complete, take out salmon, discard foil, place 1 fillet on each plate, and spoon a generous serving of dill sauce overtop.
  4. Don't have a dishwasher? Bake foil-wrapped packets in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 12 minutes.
  5. The Instruction Manual: 1. Seal individual-size fillets in aluminum foil. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COOK A WHOLE FISH. 2. Place fish packets on the top rack. 3. Add dirty dishes and lemon-scented soap. This optional step is not recommended for novices. However, as long as the salmon is tightly sealed in the aluminum foil, it will not absorb any soapy taste or smell. 4. Set the dishwasher to the "normal" cycle. Modern dishwashers have "economy" and "cool dry" settings, which are undesirable because they conserve heat. However, on the other end of the spectrum, the "pots and pans" setting tends to overcook the fish. 5. Run salmon through the entire wash-and-dry cycle: approximately 50 minutes for most models. I have poached salmon in almost every make and model, and although the temperatures and duration of the cycles vary with each machine, a little more or less "washing" will not affect it greatly because salmon is extremely forgiving. 6. To heighten the drama for your disbelieving guests, and to prove that you have nothing up your sleeve, let them crowd around the dishwasher when you load the salmon. When the cycle is complete, invite them back to witness the unloading. 7. Troubleshoot. The only time I ever had a problem was on live national TV. Five minutes before going on the air I learned that the heating element in the on-camera dishwasher was broken. After a quick huddle with the producer, I was forced to make the most of the situation by baking the salmon in the (gasp!) oven. To avoid this pedestrian fate, ask yourself the million-dollar question: When your dishwasher last completed its cycle, were the dishes hot? As long as the answer is yes, you are ready to poach.

Piquant Dill Sauce:​

1. Melt the butter over medium heat in a saute pan. Add the leek, jalapeno, and garlic and saute until the leeks are translucent but not brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the stock. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. (Adjust heat as required to maintain simmer.) The liquid should reduce by half. Remove from heat and let cool.
  2. Transfer to a blender or food processor and add the dill, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Puree until smooth. Reserve and reheat just before serving. Stir in the sour cream at the last minute.

darvocet21

Bluelighter
Zinc and Vit D can also majorly help, I take em at night usually cuz they make me sleepy but ya definitely helps get you through the night when all you wanna do is toss n turn.

Meats are a good source of zinc already, but oysters are where it’s at for good amounts.

-GC
Oysters are very good for you. I think any food that comes from the ocean whatever it is probably has a better variety of essential nutrients than any terrestrial food. I can't think of many Seafoods that I wouldn't at least try, except maybe for raw sea urchin and that's only because its appearance. It doesn't look like a food. But neither to do oysters and I love oysters. I like canned oysters even better than raw oysters, but not the Chinese farmed one in cottonseed oil. That's like three strikes right there. If anyone has a store called Trader Joe's in their vicinity well you're lucky first of all second of all you should buy the South Korean farmed canned oysters in olive oil, so large tha sometimes there might only be 6 or 7 in a can. Nothing against fresh oysters what an experience sliding right on down when you want to sometimes really sink your teeth into them

G_Chem

Bluelighter
I've often wondered if that's still true with all the pollutants in the oceans these days. Oysters are basically filters, right?
Same with liver.
I love oysters and chicken livers but I wonder if they are loaded with toxins.
Anybody know?

Oysters do have a bit more heavy metals than other seafood of comparable size for the reasons you stated. I personally only rarely eat them now when I used to eat them multiple times a week.

I actually try to avoid seafood cuz of this despite the plethora of beneficial compounds not found anywhere else.

I stick to sardines and related small fish, or salmon.

Chicken livers can be bad too but the difference is you can control it a bit more. Chicken that’s free range should be healthy.

I just made up some sausage patties with ground pork and chicken livers, damn good.

Edit- A quick look shows chicken livers don’t hold on to toxins.

-GC

jasperkent

Bluelighter
Thanks, G-Chem!
I also usually stick to wild salmon, sardines, and anchovies.
And your sausage sounds great! 👍
I gotta get me some chicken innards. Haven't had any in a while. Love the livers & gizzards, but my favorite part of the bird is the heart.
A lot of people freak out when I say that. If so, I ask them "Have you ever eaten a hot dog or a slice of bologna?"
There's WAY more repulsive stuff in those things. Snouts, eyeballs, assholes...

jasperkent

Bluelighter
Oh, and on the seafood subject...
I LOVE shrimp but I don't eat it much anymore after learning about the huge amount of bycatch involved in shrimping.
It's horrendous.

G_Chem

Bluelighter
Simply mash avocado with a tiny bit of mayonnaise then stir in chopped hard-boiled eggs, celery, lemon juice, and herbs and you have my favorite avocado egg salad ready!

That sounds really good actually, I might steal that but alter it for chicken salad. That sounds like a great way to change up the fats and since most don’t use good avocado oil based Mayo this is the much better choice.

-GC

G_Chem

Bluelighter
Well I making up a whole 30 style BBQ chicken today. Essentially I’ll toss in chicken thighs, some chopped tomato, jalapeños, garlic, onion, dates and top off with some spices. Slow cook until ready, then pull the chicken out, blend up the remaining stuff in the pot and pour it on the chicken.

Chicken BBQ with no added sweetener and tastes amazing (I could throw up a more detailed recipe if anyone’s ever interested.). Make a sandwich with some extra fresh onion and I like a little cilantro too for the metal detoxification benefits, besides the bun not a bad lunch. Have small salad or dipping veggies on the side.

Note: The bun ain’t Whole30 tho..

-GC

n3ophy7e

Moderator: TDS, H&R, MH
Staff member
Well I making up a whole 30 style BBQ chicken today. Essentially I’ll toss in chicken thighs, some chopped tomato, jalapeños, garlic, onion, dates and top off with some spices. Slow cook until ready, then pull the chicken out, blend up the remaining stuff in the pot and pour it on the chicken.
That sounds fucking awesome!

I haven't been eating super healthy at the moment because I'm preggo and my baby just wants carbs carbs and more carbs. Not necessarily anything sugary, but things like toast, cereal, granola bars, oatmeal, pasta etc. So nothing too unhealthy, but it's just that I'm used to eating HEAPS of fruit and nuts, but fruit makes me feel nauseated and nuts just aren't cutting it for satiating my appetite.

So, toast and cereal is pretty much forming 80% of my current diet lol

dragonix

Bluelighter
These exquisite organic chile lime roasted pumpkin seeds at work they felt like medicine alongside roasted lentils with pink himalayan salt just a snack today but a much needed one