• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos What drugs are given for benzo withdrawal?

The answer should definitely involve some tapering of benzos, not just a "cold-turkey" stop. 4mg clonazepam is a fairly high dose and should be tapered over the course of many weeks for best results, as many in this thread have said already. Switching to diazepam is accepted to be the most effective way to taper, especially with clonazepam because some people have a particularly hard time coming off of it...

Be smart; try to get a doctor to help you, but most importantly: taper no matter what!

hey man, I'm actually planning on getting on clonazapam this week to help me get off buying xanax off the streets. I'd been taking about 2-3 mg /day for about only a month, and then on week five went up to about 4-5 mg. Then my stash ran out, and i went the next day down to 2 mg, then, .5 mg, and then nothing. Needless to say, this was not pleasant, and the night that I went without anything, I couldn't sleep a wink. I even shot through a whole bundle, but it didn't help a bit.

what i did find helped yesterday, when I still couldn't cop, was topiramate, which I'm about to write a post about. It definately helped me out last night, and luckily today I was able to get some xanax, and now just have to hang on another three days until my psych sees me.

If you are unable to do it on your own (which most of us are not able to), but are really serious about getting off, and you're ready to make the committment, then go to your doctor and tell him/her what's up. They can effectively assist you in figuring out a safe plan for tapering, most likely using Diazepam or Chlordiazepoxide, which will allow you to experience a minimal level of discomfort.

Either way, like Pegasus above me said, make a serious and concerted effort to cut back one way or the other. Benzo addiction is hell, and I'm not just saying that; I've been there with Xanax. One day at a time. Good luck!

years of use......i say do a taper!

somebody on a binge for a month shouldnt get seizures ,will be very uncomfy ,i mean i have binged with xanax for 3 weeks doing 10-18mg a day ,and it was rough for like a week,very bad anxiety,no sleep etc,kept feeling like my arms werent there....

i would drink a few beers at night and would be able to sleep...but thats me

I know it's WAY too late.

But K-pin is actually RX'd for benzo w/d.

But I think if K-pin is the drug you're abusing your more than likely to get something else, like Valium.

Long-Acting benzodiazepines in a taper. Usually diazepam (Valium) or chlordiazepoxide (Librium) although it's up to the doctor's discretion which he actually uses.

Clonidine to control blood pressure, perspiration, akathisia/RLS

There are many, many other drugs that are starting to get a good reputation as detox supplements, but virtually every person I've ever known that has gone through a benzodiazepine detox will get the above two.

I'm on roughly 6mg Xanax a day and they're switching it to Valium then they'll taper me off that once I'm stabilised. I don't know dosages or anything, I'm off to detox in a few days. All the best!

If the doctor who put you on benzos to start with, (I hope it was a psychologist or neurologist), they will do a Valium or Librium taper (they both have long durations, not too much of the euphoric effects of triazolos although I think only 2 triazolos are used in the US, I was switched from clonazepam 4mg a day (2x2mg) to 55mg valium first week etc. and we had an entente that if I got uncomfortable at some point we could stop the 5mg less a week but it has to be under 35mg, well I made it to 20mg. A veil of long term memory that doesn't die but just hides back way back in the subconscious comes back into dreams and such, which can be traumatizing etc. They can also script zolpidem and zaleplon for those nights where you can't sleep and reaching for the 10mg blues or the 25mg librium caps.
At 4mg clonazepam a day (def stronger than 6mg xanax a day....due to long duration and the unstimulation (i know i made it up, the word) of your gaba benzo subcomplexes, I was started at 55mg of valium, then the week after 50, then 45 etc., not really following Ashton protocol but still, it was working, until I hit below 20mg at 15mg, then I started worrying about things I can't control again, going mad in my bedroom unable to leave it, North Korea went really damn close to go to war with SK (a bit before christmas 2010), so I went to the hospital and had to tell the doctor there who insisted GAD was treated by antidepressants ONLY. And then I listed what antidepressants I tried, and then I ended up with the one I took for a long time (Paxil) and I told him it made me manic, even more than all SSRI's. His eyes changed, he understood I could be bipolar, and then bumped me back up to 20mg until i saw my psychiatrist, who was a bit unhappy, but I told him, I reduced my consumption of benzos by 66% if we go by equivalence, I feel way more alert and my memory is better and I sleep better than with clonazepam which really blows for sleep unless you have opiates in the mix, which I didn't then. Valium also takes care of some of the pain issue I have in my jaw area, it stops my left ear from getting full and crackling which somehow makes me anxious when it happens and then I get a tick where I can make those 3 little bones for hearing crackle, at least thats what I think is doing those noises....fucked up stuff. So he agreed, lets keep you on 20mg, and later on we can do an Ashton style benzo removal since you are on them since long enough (been 4 years then, now...8).

Or you can go to a rapid detox (not the awesome kind where they put you into a coma of some sort with propofol and other anesthetics for 5-7 days and inject you with anti-epileptics and flumazenil, you wake up totally back to normal, zero tolerance apparently. Some lucky dude here was able to have this done for free to him at a University in Maryland, I forget who though.

What I speak of is places that put people going through all sorts of withdrawal detox place, where they will take you for a week or two max, with phenobarbital to prevent seizures, and no its not a fun barb, at all, it mades your mind blank and often will throw Nozinan (an old school antipsychotic that is also very powerful as a painkiller, it's like one of the best opiate booster if you take just a little, weird drug that Nozinan. People going through this often get out and still want benzos, all they did was force you not to have some, have something that is kinda like benzos to them (them being really stupid textbook following non thinking docs and nurses to prevent seizures and the Nozinan so you actually sleep, it's not a disgusting Seroquel sleep but still...it's been compared to torture, wikipedia has an actual reference for this claim if you look up benzo withdrawal or detox.

I just woke up from a clonazolam and flubromazolam sitting sleep, for some reason I find them more pleasant than the dreaming I have while lying down on my bed heh. Trivial i know but i felt like I had to say it, it's really strange how flub-lam does this for me.

Last edited:
For starters, definitely taper. Never quit cold turkey. Get switched to a long acting benzo if you can, like Diazepam.

As far as drugs you can take: Gabapentin and Lyrica should help a lot both with the generalized and social anxiety. Clonidine is also prescribed, as people have mentioned, to control blood pressure and other things. Antihistamines will help with sleep, Diphenhydramine and Doxylamine are both helpful. There's some prescription antihistamines that are also prescribed for anxiety, like Hydroxyzine (which kicks ass for sleep.) Even low dose Seroquel will be helpful for falling asleep. There's Baclofen, Flexeril, Carisoprodol (muscle relaxers), Phenibut (helps with anxiety, don't use it daily), Z-drugs like Ambien and Lunesta for sleep, and opiates can definitely help but be careful not to switch one habit for another! If you go the opiate route, I'd reccomend Kratom and poppy seed tea.

I hope that helps. Best of luck man, you got this!

Need help!

I'm a new comer and have no idea on how to use this site to post and ask questions soI'll start here. Swim has been on 0.5 mg of xanax and klonopin for the past two years for their horrible anxiety that Is so bad it's putting swim at risk for a heart attack. I was never prescribed these medications together I was just switched from one to the other. Well I've already gone through some withdrawals for about a week and they were so bad that swim had no choice but to take it again. Does anyone know why the withdrawals are so hard and intense on such a small dosage that I take only 1 time a day. Is it more psychological than physiological. I'm 6'0 and 215 pounds I'm a smoker of about a pack a day and I'm 18 Years old if I get a reply it would help so much swim no longer wants to be on these horrid benzos.

I'm a new comer and have no idea on how to use this site to post and ask questions soI'll start here. Swim has been on 0.5 mg of xanax and klonopin for the past two years for their horrible anxiety that Is so bad it's putting swim at risk for a heart attack. I was never prescribed these medications together I was just switched from one to the other. Well I've already gone through some withdrawals for about a week and they were so bad that swim had no choice but to take it again. Does anyone know why the withdrawals are so hard and intense on such a small dosage that I take only 1 time a day. Is it more psychological than physiological. I'm 6'0 and 215 pounds I'm a smoker of about a pack a day and I'm 18 Years old if I get a reply it would help so much swim no longer wants to be on these horrid benzos.
We don't use SWIM, so please edit your post.
Even though it's a small dose you used it for two years, that's a long time, benzo withdrawal can lead to seizures etc. so stopping cold turkey is a bad idea. Google the ashton manual and taper