• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What does a medicated opiate detox usually involve?

^i don't see how ketaman is going to ask for or obtain opiates/oids from his doctor without raising a red flag. he's been abusing them without a script and is looking to get straight.

I meant to state that at the end of my comment. My general direction was to obtaining said medications ilegally as they are quite easily available if you know the right people
Here in Vic, only certain docs have licenses to perscribe/get permits for opioid dependance medications, and they are dispensed by linked in pharmacys for your daily dose.

And having been on an opioid dependance program leaves no red flag for any other doctor to see. It's just a means to an end, but i'd avoid it anyway.

^that's what i was getting at, by it being a means to an end. it wouldn't be fair on him if he were denied opiates for pain in the future if he had been labeled "opiate abuser". and from what i understand ketaman isnt looking to get another hookup for methadone or bupe, but i see what you mean now.

I meant to state that at the end of my comment. My general direction was to obtaining said medications ilegally as they are quite easily available if you know the right people

depending on the amount you are withrdrawing from i would highly reccomend anyway that people talk to their Dr before trying to self medicate with limited knowledge. If people are on other medcation you would be better off generally to talk to your doc about the interactions of them.

I understand that people feel that they are sometimes unfairly treated by doctors when they disclose that they are using substances. In my experience this has not been the rule of the many doctors i have talked to while working in the AOD sector

madmick, has that been the doctors who've told you personally that they've never discriminated against people who have used in the past? i just find it hard to believe from problems ive heard of in the past.

i've had problems with drugs in the past but have never mentioned any of it to my doctor because i'm on norspan for legit pain treatment and i'm afraid of jeopardising my script if i do decide to tell him in the future if i have problems again. but on the other hand i was abusing my valium script and he helped me taper back down and still continues to write me the script. i've been lucky with my doctor.

it's just that i've read many different people who've been in situations where they've been labeled an addict or drug seeker who have been injured and have been denied drugs of addiction because of the mark against their name.

I don't know if this has been said but if you want suboxone treatment, tell them that you have never done coke(blow), if you ever done it in the past, they will not give you sub, and if you want to get off everything taper the sub quickly or you will just get hooked on it. and as for the xanex as long as your prescribed for a legit reason, you can continue your treatment on it.
They also gave me clonodine and motrin and trazadone and seroquel when i had big trouble sleeping, i have been through detox many times and if you taper the sub quickly and can deal with a little pain you can be clean off everything, suboxone is just as bad as oxy and in the end cost a lot of money, i've been on it for3 years i have not done any other opaite in this time, but it's just another addiction, but it's the best way to get off oxy, it's the only way i could get out of a 15 year addiction to every kind of OP i could get my hands on. best of luck to you buddy. PeAcE

the best thing you can do is be honest with your doctor, i also have come across doctors who have been unhelpful but been in the lucky position to advocate ffor the people who have had trouble with them. Asking for a second opinion or different consult.

the more honest you are with your doctor and build the relationship between you, the more the doctor is likely to assist your efforts to change. Alot of the problems that people have is when they are using either a doctor who is burnt out in the Field or there has been alot of miscommunication between the doctor and client.

Sometimes it can be more helpful to look out for a doctor with specific AOD experience who fits what you are after. If you are using the public health system it might be worthwhile to speak to the social worker to ask for some advice or support through the system.

yet again i would reiterate how important it is to be honest and build a relationships on honesty trust and openess when it come to your health. Ill see if Dr Platypus can post in here about what makes a good doc paitent relationship

Last edited:
I've just seen this thread (Thanks Madmick!), and I think Madmick is on the right track. I'm an emergency doctor, and I have a sympathy for the consuming community that many of my colleagues don't, and even I won't give out scheduled drugs from the ED. Ever. It's too random, and if you are really trying to sort your shit out, it'll take at least weeks, and probably months. Random points of operation...
a)Most good GPs will try to help you if you are honest with them. They are reneging on their duties if they don't, and could actually be reported to their state medical board for undue prejudice if they blow you off too lightly. If they can't help, they should refer you to someone who will.
b)No doctor I know will take 'advice' from the consumer (except on where to site an IV!) as to what drugs they think they should be prescribed. You may THINK you know what's best for you, but your right to make those decisions was kind of suspended when you became dependent on opiates/benzo's/rhubarb or whatever...
c)Life is hardest when you are on our 'list'. Don't fool yourselves that as a profession we don't have one. Every department of health has a seekers list, and it is HARD to get help when you are on it. Doctors don't like being lied to/having their prescription pads stolen etc, and they are unforgiving about it. The best thing to do in these circumstances is to try to persuade someone/anyone, that you are serious about changing your lifestyle, and getting them to get in to bat for you. It may help to get a reformed consumer to come in to your appointment with you, to vouch for you....
If I think of anythiing else, I'll post it- good luck to all.

I think this might be what I might end up doing.

My auntie knows someone that works in the safe injecting room and she said theres this "kit" you can order but its only in melbourne or something, so im guessing this is it. Im willing to try everything but if I can source benzo's until the Wd's are over then im just gonna stick it through, usually they only last a week and a half or 2 weeks max and day 2-3 is the worst and its now day 4 so hopefully things start getting better. I woke up this morning and felt no Wd's and I thought it was a gift from god but before I knew it I was feeling them and I had to get some benzo's.

Benzo's are pretty much getting me through this and doing a damn good job at it too so im just gonna stick with it. Hopefully im ok by saturday and not in detox just yet coz I wanna go to Godspeed and meet a few more Bl'ers. I urge a few of you guys to come so im not the only ope user going lol

Hey Ketaman I was referring to a residential detox. Most AOD treatment services will also arrange a home detox (nurse visits you with meds) or outpatient (you visit service daily to pick up meds/rx) detox too - try Turning Point in Fitzroy ar DASWest in Footscray in Melbourne.

Just a hypothetical question. The rapid detox that involes putting you to sleep and pumping you full of narcan, would suboxone work for this... while in the very early stages of withdrawal. Would some form of this treatment work at "home"? Lets say I would take a pretty large dose of a benzo (maybe 3mgs of xanax with little to no tolerance) and then wait about 20 minutes and do a suboxone (or a lot of naloxone ??) Hopefully I would pass out for a good 6-8 hours and have most the withdrawals for that episode pass. Sorry if this sounds kind of confusing, but does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about or if they think it would work? please let me know, I might want to give something like this a try. I'm sure it's been thought of, but I would have no idea how to do a search for this long question. Thanks again!!!

I know that if someone presents themselves in a doctor's clinic and admits that he/she has been taking 80 Nurofen Plus tablets a day, then he's most likely a canditate for methadone maintenance or Section 100 Opiate Dependence Programs available here in Queensland. Don't get me wrong in the way that I say this, because my main problem is to do with benzodiazepines and speed.