• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health What are your experiences with anticholinergics?

Trumpeltier

Greenlighter
No matter what drug, als long as it does possess moderate to strong anticholinergic properties... what were your positive and negative experiences with those drugs? Do you still take them?

FORWARD: Please don't consider using any of these substances recreationally or even outside of a medical setting, they are dangerous!!

Dimenhydrinate
as a young dumbass, got everything from mild dry mouth to full blown, indistinguishable from reality hallucinations, along with a disturbing, how can I describe this, clear smoke that rippled across my entire field of vision, as well as with eyes closed. There were things in th he room with me, but I couldn't quite make out what they looked like as they were 100% translucent (think "Predator" movie camouflage. Heart palpitations (it causes Q-t elongation and is very bad for your heart), severe nausea, feeling poisoned for at least a week after a single dose. Absolutely no fun.

Diphenhydramine I use almost nightly with my other medications to improve my sleep. In absolutely no way fun. Dont trying to trip on this either, the effects are very similar to those of diphenhydramine but with more physical malaise and less visual changes.

Hydroxyzine was a decent sleep aid, but caused my major GI issues and I stopped taking it after a couple nights.

Cyproheptadine is an ok sleep aid, and good to have around the house in case I combine some weird combination of drugs and end up with symptoms of serotonin syndrome, as it's used in the hospital as a treatment for serotonin syndrome. I'd still seek medical attention, SS is nothing to fuck with.

Datura I use on occasion at tiny doses smokes as a fast acting anti-emetic particularly useful for mescaline cactus related nausea but not psychoactive at that dose.

Anticholinergics are very dangerous drugs, both from risk of death by doing stupid shit while delirious as well as by direct pharmacological action. These drugs are definitely best avoided or used at the absolute lowest doses if used for legitimate medical purposes.

Cyproheptadine is an ok sleep aid, and good to have around the house in case I combine some weird combination of drugs and end up with symptoms of serotonin syndrome, as it's used in the hospital as a treatment for serotonin syndrome. I'd still seek medical attention, SS is nothing to fuck with.
Yeah, It's one of the strongest antihistamines and 5HT2 antagonists. Many drugs are derived from it. I would not be able to handle that huge sedation ^^

In France they use alimemazine a lot as a sleep aid, it synergistic with opiates