• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery What are you Watching?

jb99

Bluelighter
I'm sure there is a thread for this in the non-recovery subs but I searched and didn't find one here. In early (and long term!) recovery we often have a lot going on, right, and imho getting lost for an hour or 3 in a series or movie can be therapeutic.

I'm on day 9 (this time- I've been clean b4!) and am watching Stranger Things, I love this show.

Up to S3E05. I watched seasons 1 and 2 last year when I was also in early recovery, and I have been using most of 2019 so my memory of the first 2 seasons isn't perfect.

But the cast is amazing, the plot, script, production values, everything. I'm going to be sad when it's over and I have to wait another year or so for a season 4 ;)

Also looking forward to HBO's Succession Season 2, I recommend checking this one out.

It's under the radar and starts a bit slow, but the critics love it, great cinematography and the cast, incl Keiran Culkin (who I didn't know could act!), have this amazing, darkly hilarious, improv-ey repartee. Touches on addiction as well.

Cheers.

Honestly Netflix helps me get through the toughest of times. Im not in recovery right now but 2019 has been the worst single year of my life.

I unexpectedly lost Momma on Jan 24 to sepsis. She was 53. And ill tell you the perfect time to lean on netflix is when you feel alone.

Stanger Things is incredible... I just had started watching season 2 of The sinners..

Stand up has always kept me going. Sometimes all i want to do is breakdown.

Cant do that tho. Basically anything but express how empty and hopeless living is becoming..

What do you watch

I've followed this guy for a while watching his comedy routines. Hilarious.

It looks like he is just now starting recovery (I had no idea). Good luck and good for him.

Good idea for a thread! I watched Cloud Atlas last night. I thought it was really good for the most part. It fell short of its lofty ambitions somewhat but I really appreciated the effort. My criticism is it never fully came together in that aha moment of damn that's what this was about. It took me looking on reddit to really grasp it fully. The third act also dragged on too long I thought. Overall 7/10

Last edited:
A couple others I've enjoyed immensely this past year (during stints in a rehab that gave out tablets for NetFlix, and also when I was clean in 2018 )

Happy! (Netflix, SyFy) Season 1 was a riot. It's about a long-suffering, drug and alcohol-addled, ex-cop hitman who gets befriended by his kidnapped daughter's imaginary friend, a flying blue unicorn no one else can see. Darkly comic, laugh-out-loud hilarious, violent, but also adorable at times. Looking forward to season 2.

Altered Carbon (Netflix) Combines hard-boiled detective, noir and sci-fi, vaguely bladerunner-esque. ~500 years in the future people can live forever by downloading their consciousnesses to new bodies, clones, etc, but a handful of wealthy families are megarich and everyone else is fucked. A supersoldier gets downloaded into a detectives body and is cased with solving the murder of one of the megarich tycoons. I like SF if it's intelligent, and not cheesy and this series fits the bill, I loved it. Great fight scenes, visual effects, plot, etc. Season 2 is greenlit.

Pose (FX) saw a couple episodes of this in the hospital and it surprised me, well done. The gay/drag black vogeuing houses are legendary in the formation of the NYC house and techno club scene, which I grew up in, and influenced the club kid/limelight era and the global edm scene we see from England to Detroit to Miami to Ibiza etc. This series tries to tell some of their story.

Good luck and good for him.
Yup, good for him huh. A lot of comedians and creatives wind up in recovery (or die right), I used to see Russell Brand at Brooklyn AA mtgs years ago, he was very down to earth actually.
I watched Cloud Atlas last night.
I saw this in the theater (never read book) and enjoyed it.

As you say, it's perhaps not perfect, but it's not easy to do a perfect book adaptation, especially with all the interweaving threads. But certainly more imaginative, substantial, and well executed than a typical American movie, huh, which is basically an endless parade of comic book sequels (not that some of them aren't enjoyable, but it's not exactly high art lol).

So Pose was meh, but HBO's Succession Season 2 is fire so far.

Just like season 1, it starts a bit slow but quickly the cast finds their groove. Keiran Culkin is brilliant. Love it.

Next I'm watching SyFy's Happy! Season 2 and eagerly awaiting Altered Carbon S2.

Haha! I just got done with Stranger Things and loved it!
I am bummed it is over and was actually looking for some recommendations here!
I will give Succession a try as well as the others mentioned!

Thanks guys!

Yah Stranger Things is amazing.

I'm halfway thru Happy S2, it's good but S1 was better.

Succession is still awesome (though maybe not everyone will appreciate the humor and subtlety), S2E05 is next.

Also started Game of Thrones S8, I see people hated the finale, oh well huh.

There are a few others I'll try, the Netflix show where Sascha Baron Cohen plays a spy, and the trailer for 'Becoming a God in Central Florida' looked good, maybe. What we do In the Shadows looks funny too..

I am waiting for seasons 9 and 10 of Shameless to hit Netflix, and Good Girls 2 (god damn Rio ??? hurt me Papi!!)

Good idea for a thread! I watched Cloud Atlas last night. I thought it was really good for the most part. It fell short of its lofty ambitions somewhat but I really appreciated the effort. My criticism is it never fully came together in that aha moment of damn that's what this was about. It took me looking on reddit to really grasp it fully. The third act also dragged on too long I thought. Overall 7/10

Really? I liked the last part, wasn't thatmostly Somni's story (not sure re spelling) - that was the best part for me, the ending of that subplot was so terrific. When that archive bloke says 'but what if no one ever believes your story' and she says 'someone already does' :cry:
I thought the score was amazing as well!

I haven't read the novel yet, but read a few other Mitchell books and I bet it's good as well.

I was watching a music video on youtube, it made me feel like I was centre stage. popular gig.

I have been watching “Lucifer” and it is really good. Supernatural stuff crossed with detective mysteries.
I think you guys would like it.

I also watched “The adventures of Sabrina” and that was really good too.

Check those two out. I think you guys will like them.
Hope everyone is doing okay.
❤️

I have been watching “Lucifer” and it is really good. Supernatural stuff crossed with detective mysteries.
I think you guys would like it.

I also watched “The adventures of Sabrina” and that was really good too.

Check those two out. I think you guys will like them.
Hope everyone is doing okay.
❤️

Haven't watched the latest season of either series but I like them both.

I tend to binge-watch DVD's, that way I avoid commercial breaks and have total control over stopping/starting etc...

That being said, I totally got caught up watching Killing Eve. I think it started on Netflix and then AMC took over? Don't quote me on that. I would also highly recommend: Euphoria on HBO. Fucking love
that show! I think it is the most honest portrayal of high school I have ever witnessed. Zendaya acts her ass off. But if you don't want to see a bunch of dysfunctional kids getting high, maybe skip it?

I am slowly getting into The Deuce on HBO. I would watch anything that Davis Simon is attached too. (The Wire) They are only producing 3 seasons.
I really liked Billions. I think Wentworth is awesome. Much better than Orange is the New Black, darker. Ray Donovan. Fuck...Handmaid's Tale is a heart-wrenching series to get through. Wiped out after watching that one.

Again, I don't have a streaming device, so I borrow them from the library. Or if I'm lucky I can time things right and catch stuff on cable.

Stuff I haven't watched yet but have read good things about: Recovery Boys; Sex Education; Ozarks; Russian Doll (Natasha Lyonne)

I loved Stranger Things also!! Just finished season 2. Gonna be awhile til I get to see 3.

How could I forget Game of Thrones??!! Waiting for the final season. Already saw the spoiler alerts, so I know beforehand who lives/dies. That's ok. Its still going to be EPIC:)

I am slowly getting into The Deuce on HBO. I would watch anything that Davis Simon is attached too. (The Wire) They are only producing 3 seasons.
I really liked Billions. I think Wentworth is awesome. Much better than Orange is the New Black, darker. Ray Donovan. Fuck...Handmaid's Tale is a heart-wrenching series to get through. Wiped out after watching that one.

Stuff I haven't watched yet but have read good things about: Recovery Boys; Sex Education; Ozarks; Russian Doll (Natasha Lyonne)

I loved Stranger Things also!! Just finished season 2. Gonna be awhile til I get to see 3.

I've watched the Deuce, it's ok. Ozark was decent, especially the Ruth Langmore character's acting. Neither of those shows would make my top ten.

I found S08 of Game of Thrones unwatchable. I skimmed thru it. I enjoyed Season 6 and 7, I recall.

Succession is perhaps my favorite show of all time, along with Breaking Bad, Narcos, and Stranger Things. I go to the Reddit sub every week after the new episode, lol. Cult following.

On Becoming a God in Central Florida is another current show I've gotten into, with Kirsten Dunst, about this culty multi-level marketing company. Some good performances so far.

Mr. Mercedes
Homeland (first couple seasons... til brody leaves)
Just started watching Gotham