• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What Are You Reading V.3 At The Fourth Grade Level

I'm reading The Candy Machine; how coke took over the world. By some guy.

It's not bad, an impressive compilation of statistics brought home with a decent narrative. Bit samey same though.

just finished Bore Hole by Joe Mellen.
its an autobiography of some guy who drilled a hole into his own skull to get permanently high.

i recommend it - the book, not trepanation.

Last edited:
I'm reading The Candy Machine; how coke took over the world. By some guy.

It's not bad, an impressive compilation of statistics brought home with a decent narrative. Bit samey same though.
Yeah i read that. Twas a bit boring tbh

how could you read the first five and not want to read the last two? to find out how it all ends, if nothing else!

when book 7 came out and went back and read book 6, then book 7 in 3 days :)

alasdair

Cos the last volume wasn't out when I read t'others. The fifth one was brand new in hardback when I read 'em and I've simply never caught up. As noted, one of these days!!! :!

That aside, am currently reading An Equal Music by Vikram Seth. Quite possibly the most middle class book I have ever read what with its focus on not only the world of classical music but specifically the world of the string quartet. Novels simply do not come more niche than this... only it must do cos any reasonable reader (why yes, yes by that I do mean me - what of it?!? :p) will surely see through that and instead look into the beating heart that is filled with love, emotion, feeling and, yes really, music. Am currently about halfway through and this one will have to go out of its way to be shit to become shit at this point.

Yesterday, I read The Man who mistook his Wife for a Hat - By Dr Oliver Sacks, in which he describes some of the more extreme cases observed or referred to him during his career as a neurologist.

A good read.

Cos the last volume wasn't out when I read t'others. The fifth one was brand new in hardback when I read 'em and I've simply never caught up. As noted, one of these days!!! :!

I also only read the first five. In fact, I didn't even finish the fifth book. It wasn't because I didn't enjoy the book but that was probably the last book I read, outside of school, for about six years.

^ I find it a lot harder to knuckle down to reading actual books since we all switched to living our lives in front of a screen but still try to make the effort. Find it very rewarding too. Even if it is largely relegated to ad breaks, waiting rooms, bus/train journeys and the like these days :\

Yesterday, I read The Man who mistook his Wife for a Hat - By Dr Oliver Sacks, in which he describes some of the more extreme cases observed or referred to him during his career as a neurologist.

A good read.

Isn't it just? Very partial to a bit of Doc Sacks myself. Got his recent one on Hallucinations knocking about here somewhere wanting reading... along with several hundred other books in similar state of anticipations :eek:

Mapping The Roads:

Building Modern Britain​

"The Story of Britain's roads is also the story of our political, economic and social history - and the car, perhaps more than any other factor, changed our landscape and our maps forever."

Currently reading Stories we could tell by Tony Parsons.

A fast yet enjoyable read so far.

That aside, am currently reading An Equal Music by Vikram Seth. Quite possibly the most middle class book I have ever read what with its focus on not only the world of classical music but specifically the world of the string quartet. Novels simply do not come more niche than this... only it must do cos any reasonable reader (why yes, yes by that I do mean me - what of it?!? :p) will surely see through that and instead look into the beating heart that is filled with love, emotion, feeling and, yes really, music. Am currently about halfway through and this one will have to go out of its way to be shit to become shit at this point.

Just to say I recently finished that one and it turned out to be an absolute belter. The author's roots in poetry shone through especially strongly in the latter half of the book which resulted in some truly beautiful prose rich in symbology, metaphor and wordplay. Very far from the kinda book I'd thought I would enjoy but turned out I did all the same. Woot, etc.

Have now moved on to Lost Words. Published by the Index on Censorship, this is an anthology of fiction that has either been censored or, in a minority of cases, is about censorship. Have literally only just started it so got nowt else to say other than I hope it is as interesting as is suggested by the premise.

^ Haven't read Vikram Seth but have been meaning to for years. You should look into "A House for Mr. Biswas" by V.S Naipaul. It was truly an amazing book.

Currently reading Stories we could tell by Tony Parsons.

A fast yet enjoyable read so far.

I read that not so long ago. Was a slightly odd version of the 70s I thought, but enjoyable

Recently finished Black Sails, Disco Inferno by Andrez Bergen. Retelling of the Isolde and Tristam story, set in the seventies among two crime families. Was well done - hummed along with a real noir feel about it.

Currently continuing the noir-style crime kick that I'm on with The Knife Slipped by Erle Stanley Gardner.

Pompeii.jpg

I found most of his other books in this series pretty decent, but this was a let down. It was like he'd been forced to write it as part of a contract...

Original-image.jpg

Now reading Iain Banks' last novel, Quarry. Only 40 pages in but it's showing promise.