What Are You Listening To Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first instrument was the keyboard, when my parents bought me one of those little toy ones from the local department store or whatever. A friend of mine showed me how to play the intro from "Take on Me" by A-Ha, then I taught myself some chords, and the rest is history!

In high school I took up playing bass guitar because I was absolutely obsessed with Sid Vicious, and even dressed up as him for the Halloween school dance! (That REALLY made me popular, especially with the jocks, LOL!) I soon found it to be boring though, and switched to 6-string.

I did the acoustic singer/songwriter thing for a number of years, but never tried or even wanted to try making a living from it. The highlight of my "career" was probably when I received a standing ovation from 500-600 people at a children's benefit concert held at the local college auditorium.

I also played drums in my last band, mainly because nobody else wanted to do it! :D

Lately I've been recording a lot of trippy instrumental stuff in my "home studio", an 8-track digital recorder with hundreds of built-in effects that I'm still discovering even after years of enjoyment.

Lol, this reminds me of the first 'piano' my parents bought, a little Casio thing with removable ROM cartridges that contained songs like Greensleeves haha.

Well, I'm impressed mate, sounds like you've had quite a bit of fun. Do you ever feel the urge to perform in front of audiences any more? The biggest audience I ever had was playing morning hymns on the piano for our local primary school =D

Some nice choones above. Never heard the Beach Boys one before K-N, an unexpected gem.

Always liked this song, the lyrics are pretty deep for a pop song too:

V.O.C (voice of change) by Love Equals Death from the album Nightmerica

Last edited by a moderator:
Some nice choones above. Never heard the Beach Boys one before K-N, an unexpected gem
That one played through the end credits of the movie 'Almost Famous'. I was surprised when I looked it up and found it was by the beach boys. Some nice effects in there, gives it a bit of a haunting vibe but not in an unsettling way. I like the lyrics too.

Just listened to this one, a full symphony orchestra rocking a set of classic club tracks.

Speaking of Royksopp, there was a song on the X-Box SSX3 snowboarding video game called "Poor Leno (Silicone Soul Remix)" that became THE soundtrack to the autumn of 2003... just that one song! I changed my settings to just keep playing it on repeat and it went perfectly with the trippy, bird's eye view visuals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor Leno - that brings back some memories :) I forget where the last 16 years have gone 8o

Today it's the Ace of Base album "The Sign", because it was my first "workout" album when I got into bodybuilding back around 1994. I made pretty good gains (120 to 165lbs in under two years), then got lost in drugs & alcohol and gave it up within a few years.

I just lifted today for the first time in years, hence the Ace of Base album :D

I'm listening to Invaders by Iron fucking Maiden off The Number of the Beast. Goddamnit, this has one of the great basslines in rock/metal. Check the awesomeness during the verses:

Status
Not open for further replies.