• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

No sorry, didn't know it was an explanation, i thought we were just talking. If you want to explain something to me, make it short, i'm hangovered af, can't afford to read too much..

No sorry, didn't know it was an explanation, i thought we were just talking. If you want to explain something to me, make it short, i'm hangovered af, can't afford to read too much..
LOL fair enough.

Here’s it short: How something is written effects how I read and sometimes if I enjoy a book.

Was that short enough mate?

English>French
You mean like reverse engineering approach to Langiage?

Or from French for the regular unadventurous French person more simplified?

Because thinking about it, you could still study out and correlate the language anyway, and by using your brain more, thinking and encoding, you may learn the language more deeply.

I like Russian lit too, or at least the three entries in the genre that I've read ("War and Peace", "The Brothers Karamazov" and "The Idiot"). I read Dostoevsky's "The Idiot" just recently actually and quite liked it...the plot moves kinda slow (and it gets a bit confusing keeping track of all the names and interpersonal relationships in the book) but I just get a kick out of the dialogue in Dostoevsky's books

i thought War and Peace really showed how much society has changed. That society came off so foreign and boring to me.

Reading Jimmy Carr's Before and Laughter right now. I had assumed it was going to be an autobiography/comedy one, but it's actually a self-help/comedy book which I didn't expect from him but I'm enjoying it enough!
Also reading (I usually have one book I'm reading in physical form and one I'm reading on the kindle) Schadenfreude by 19. I like really "disturbing" reads and this one crops up quite a lot around that theme. I'm not disturbed at all yet (I never am, ever) but it's very good so far. Set in Germany during WW2, about a Erich, a teenage boy who is arrested by the Gestapo for kissing another boy and sent to Auschwitz. I'm only 18% into it, but can tell it's a strange one, with scenes of rape, BDSM and medical torture.

Reading a Swedish book called "Heroine" by Unni Drougge - one of the best depictions of heroin addictions I've ever read.

"She runs between the beauty surgeon and the therapist, but nothing helps until she inadvertently ends up in a meeting for anonymous drug addicts. Quite unexpectedly, she is deeply touched by a man who has just risen from the ruins of a heavy heroin addiction."

And thus, she falls for the needle herself, shot up by her new lover. It's raw and horrible in a 'Requiem for a dream' kind of way.

Nice.. anyone do the Audio book ?
Did you mean McCarthy or Drougge? I think 'Blood Meridian' is available as audio book - not to sure about "Heroine". I don't even think the latter one is available in any other language than Swedish, which is a damn shame. It's a fantastic book ('Blood Meridian' too).

Did you mean McCarthy or Drougge? I think 'Blood Meridian' is available as audio book - not to sure about "Heroine". I don't even think the latter one is available in any other language than Swedish, which is a damn shame. It's a fantastic book ('Blood Meridian' too).
McCarthy.. started it today. It’s brutal.. I’m into to it finish her tomorrow.

i thought War and Peace really showed how much society has changed. That society came off so foreign and boring to me.

Yeah I know what you mean. I kinda liked it though. It was old but still totally relatable to today, struggles for power/status plus the relationships between family and friends, etc.

The descriptions of military scenes were really well-done I thought, his description of the battle of Borodino, an epic battle fought in Russia during the Napoleonic Wars, was vivid and intense, as was the fall of Moscow...there’s a few parts of the book that I think are just really well written and gripping imo. But the story is frequently broken up by extended commentaries by the author on the state of Russian politics/society in the time period that the book was written in (Dostoyevsky did that too, where the author tells a story but also interjects with his own thoughts & commentary), and sometimes you just start a chapter in “war and peace” and think, oh shit, here we go again.