• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

i’m reading Never Let Me Go. bland. easy to read. don’t remember how it ended up on my list, but i understand why. coming of age story featuring strong childhood friendships between female children.

title is from a song. like Let the Right One In, which is also a coming of age featuring strong friendship — albeit between a girl and boy.

4E3502C0-121A-4D02-B4C5-580BE4F54B15.jpeg

My friend Tomie is dead. Pieces of her body were found everywhere.

Last edited:
Bag of Bones King

Thinking of shifting gears to Bret Easton Ellis binge.. but pretty sure I’m going I’ll knock out Dead Zone before I shift gears

I always thought that McCarthy was overrated personally. Just my personal preference but I don’t like writers who construct a large block of text that’s composed of a single sentence. Faulkner was another one who did massive sentences, I find it annoying.

He’s definitely a good/imaginative writer but people were losing their shit over that guy back in the day, I explored his stuff a little bit (“Blood Meridian” and “The Road”) but ultimately his writing style just isn’t for me

^i only made it 20 pages into No Country for Old Men. telling us about the brand and model of binoculars

Yes, I’ll have to inject you with my daughter’s bodily fluids and other questionable substances …

I always thought that McCarthy was overrated personally. Just my personal preference but I don’t like writers who construct a large block of text that’s composed of a single sentence. Faulkner was another one who did massive sentences, I find it annoying.

He’s definitely a good/imaginative writer but people were losing their shit over that guy back in the day, I explored his stuff a little bit (“Blood Meridian” and “The Road”) but ultimately his writing style just isn’t for me
I have read All the Pretty Horses and also The Road multiple times. Back in the day? How many notches do you have on the kitchen wall? I get that it’s not your pleasure .. but I’m looking for something special, turn me on please.

That’s a long list @Burnt Offerings.. Jesus it’s hard to even begin.. guess I’ll fk things up by just rolling a list in a off hand order.. many have been already posted on this thread I think.. but I’m tired my friend and that is a long list.. can do it tomorrow just not tonight. Please post some great insights and I will post my read and listen list.. it’s kinda long as for a few years I listen and read over three months.. that’s not including sleep time around a year or two. I’ll take a minute or two tomorrow.. as long as you promise to hook me up with something you have found that’s dank? Then I can and will do this 4 sure.. but actually favorites I can do.. give me a day

Last edited:
I like Russian lit too, or at least the three entries in the genre that I've read ("War and Peace", "The Brothers Karamazov" and "The Idiot"). I read Dostoevsky's "The Idiot" just recently actually and quite liked it...the plot moves kinda slow (and it gets a bit confusing keeping track of all the names and interpersonal relationships in the book) but I just get a kick out of the dialogue in Dostoevsky's books

I disliked The Road. Blood Meridian was a well performed audiobook. Actually reading it… I might feel differently.

What’s it about?
It's about a black man who ends up in hell unfairly, where black people are treated in a cool way and the whites badly, but he ends up being friend whith a white man who was a gold digger who got scalped, they make a deal with the devil to go back to life, he accept, after that i couldn't tell...

It's about a black man who ends up in hell unfairly, where black people are treated in a cool way and the whites badly, but he ends up being friend whith a white man who was a gold digger who got scalped, they make a deal with the devil to go back to life, he accept, after that i couldn't tell...
So, fairly interesting? How is the writing?

It's ok. It's written on paper, in a book, black on white, why?
I find that writing style has a huge effect on how much I enjoy reading something. I was curious what the style was like. It sounds interesting, but if you lost the thread of the story maybe it wasn’t well written enough to hold your interest. Just curious I suppose.

For example, I really enjoy Steinbeck and the way he constructed his writing. Sentence structure and pacing is well done, chapters are cut at points that make a lot of sense, character development is phenomenal… I could go on. I am a huge fan.

I enjoy Bukowski for the same reasons. Although very different from Steinbeck, his style makes his books engaging. With Bukowski the choice of vocabulary is very interesting.

Hunter S Thompson had a style that made you feel like you were seeing a campaign trail from his warped perspective.

People who have read my writing have commented on my stylistic choices. It’s one thing to write a story. How it is put on the page causes people to read it a certain way.

Know what I mean?