• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

"Too Much and Never Enough" by Mary L. Trump. It's well written and has thus far provided some good insight into the type of background/environment that creates someone like Donald Trump.

"Too Much and Never Enough" by Mary L. Trump. It's well written and has thus far provided some good insight into the type of background/environment that creates someone like Donald Trump.
I frequently watch her commentary on the news. She’s a clinical psychologist and very insightful.

On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin; reading to induce cosmic-existential dread, I tend to see the book similar to the monolith in '2001: A Space Odyssey', something that really shakes at the core of humanity's frontier in the face of ever expanding knowledge.

I was looking through a box of my old books lately and I found this! I was looking through it recently, some of it is definitely pretty interesting.

I've always admired him as a historical figure. He just seemed like a brilliant scientist, someone who understood life on a profound level and basically revolutionized the study of human origins (a topic I'm interested in and enjoy reading about), and also just generally a good person...supposedly he was a loving husband & devoted father. He married his cousin, and that's kind of weird from my modern perspective, but hey. To me he's like a Newton or Oppenheimer type character, someone who had a rare and gifted mind.

One claim Darwin made that still blows me away is that we evolved into human beings in Africa. To us this seems obvious but in Darwin's time it would've been extremely controversial...the oldest human remains found during Darwin's century ("Java Man") were found in southeast Asia, for example, and (iirc) Alfred Russel Wallace (the co-founder of evolutionary theory) speculated that we had evolved there, not Africa. Africa then was viewed by many Europeans as just a backwater to exploit, whereas today we know that it's the most genetically-diverse continent on the planet and basically the incubation chamber for our entire species, and what was a very controversial and incendiary claim then is just considered as fact now

Last edited:
Rereading “The man who mistook his wife for a hat.” By Oliver Sacks. It’s one of my favs.

This sure sounds like an interesting plot. Can you tell me a bit of it, so I might get a better view would I like the novel.
Here’s a quick summary:
A groundbreaking work of science fiction, The Left Hand of Darkness tells the story of a lone human emissary to Winter, an alien world whose inhabitants can choose - and change - their gender. His goal is to facilitate Winter's inclusion in a growing intergalactic civilization. But to do so he must bridge the gulf between his own views and those of the completely dissimilar culture that he encounters.

The book isn’t some politically correct commentary on gender. The people of Winter can literally change from to female and vice versa. This basically disgusts the main character, but he is put in a situation where he has to spend time with one Winter citizen during this transformation.

It’s really a classic for sci-fi.

Painting by numbers
The road to high saffron
By jasper fjord
It’s trippy and funny with a sinister twist

Got my "The Ones That Got Away" by Stephen Graham Jones, short-story collection. Read the first story, "Father, Son, Holy Rabbit" and boy, this is raw and beatiful.

I wanna get back to reading again. Something scifi. I used to enjoy fantasy too but scifi takes the cake nowadays. Any suggestions? No hard scifi plox.

The only sci-fi I've read is Philip K. Dick, but maybe you read him already?

Immortal Game by David David Shenk. It’s about chess but it’s average. I got into it by reading his previous book on Alzheimer’s. Which is better, though ... maybe not enough content, research and opinion?

Lighter than my Shadow by Katie Green. Graphic novel about anorexia experience by the author. It is superb. https://lighterthanmyshadow.com

Ending (I finished it today) is very ambivalent - author did not describe her emotional environment while being very young kid (under 4), but ends with Katie in her twenties looking at Katie at 3-4 years old. Looking with compassion and sadness. While otherwise her anorexia is described as rootless, coming from nowhere.

I am currently "hooked" on childhood trauma and I looking for it everywhere, but it is interesting that in this comic author "avoids" it but still ends with it.

I'm currently reading Eknath Easwarans three translations of the classics of Indian spirituality, The Upanishads, The Bhagavad Gita, and The Dhammapada.

Last edited:
Perelandra CS Lewis Beautiful work hauntingly original style
Phreaks Mathew Derby
My Life and Work Henry Ford