• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

Rereading The Stand by King. Just finished War and Peace and liked the ending esp.
Ack! That ending I hated! It like he just pounds away explaining everything he just wrote in case you missed it! And yet the first 950pages is an absolute masterpiece and a page turner. How often does that happen? Which translation did you read? Would you read it again?

Read Carver!! Cathedral is good, but What I Talk about When I talk About Love is amazing! (its also been reprinted under the title Begginers, and it has the stories without them being so edited.)
Carver is king. He made me fall in love with the short story and changed the way I read (and write)

Ack! That ending I hated! It like he just pounds away explaining everything he just wrote in case you missed it! And yet the first 950pages is an absolute masterpiece and a page turner. How often does that happen? Which translation did you read? Would you read it again?

It was the Alymer Maude translation. I really liked how, utterly unexpected, that love came full circle in the end and enjoyed how the different schools of thought were presented and compared at the very end, I don't know if I will read it again.. to much sick shit I haven't read yet.. but then again im rolling through The Stand again after over two decades and i'm in love all over again,

Last edited:
im not familiar with that translation. but a lot of good translators take a shot at Tolstoy I bet. For anything Russian, I highly recommend Peaver/ LVolokhonsky translation. I have not read their Tolstoy but the difference in their Dostoevsky Translations and any other is night and day.

have you read Anna Karenina?

the Stand is Stephen King? I have not read much by him but hear he is hit and miss. Loved his book on writing.

The Myth of Mental Illness: Foundations of a Theory of Personal Conduct by Thomas Szasz.

Mostly semantics combined with the implications and dangers that psychiatry, if taken to far, can pose in the real life. Very interesting read.

im not familiar with that translation. but a lot of good translators take a shot at Tolstoy I bet. For anything Russian, I highly recommend Peaver/ LVolokhonsky translation. I have not read their Tolstoy but the difference in their Dostoevsky Translations and any other is night and day.

have you read Anna Karenina?

the Stand is Stephen King? I have not read much by him but hear he is hit and miss. Loved his book on writing.

I love the Russians <3 I have not yet read that yet. Dead Souls by Gogol is likely my favorite book of all-time. I do love the Russians, so damn good. Just looked for a Hemingway quote from A Movable Feast.. something along the lines of.. first their were the Russians, but I could not find it.

I agree King is certainly hit and miss, but The Stand is a hit. Amazing character development and a solid flowing plot. Captn trips is an engineered virus accidently let loose by the US gov that kills 99.4% of everyone in a matter of weeks. The few who are resistant find themselves drawn to to camps of good and evil, destined to hash it out for all time. Probably my favorite work of Kings.. That or the Gunslinger series.. but both very good imho. Check them out if you have some time.

Just finished a reread of The Stand and loved it. Saw that someone was reading The Glass Bead Game <3 and that is one my favorite books of all time so ill be digging into that tomorrow.. cant fkn wait.

Elbow Room By James McPherson. A short story collection. Another reread and I prob won’t finish it, just wanted to reread a couple of my favorite stories.

Got turned on by King and decided to give The Dark Tower series another run. I'm through the Gunslinger and now devouring The Drawing of Three. Really enjoying it.

Glass Bead Game was somewhat disappointing as I did not find the enjoyment I originally had. Don Quixote book one is taking some time to settle in and initially was a bit chore some, but the literature has begun to hit home a bit. I don't think I enjoy the the utter folly and madness of humanity cleverly written as I once did, so I'm going to stream some George Carlin.

Started Wastelands and right on beat, i'm down.

Last edited:
Wow @neversickanymore im really digging your reading list. I read don quixote in college and again after the Edith Grossman translation came out. it’s one of my favorite books. the Grossman really blew me away by how fresh and readable it was compared to whatever one I read before. im Just hoping you have a good translation cause it sounds like you might give up on it. In this book, Cervantes invented fiction and meta fiction. How badass is that?

Wow @neversickanymore im really digging your reading list. I read don quixote in college and again after the Edith Grossman translation came out. it’s one of my favorite books. the Grossman really blew me away by how fresh and readable it was compared to whatever one I read before. im Just hoping you have a good translation cause it sounds like you might give up on it. In this book, Cervantes invented fiction and meta fiction. How badass is that?

The Grossman translation is the one I have. Fear not, I will not succumb to and abandon thy pure maidens, unless they have wickedly blinded thy chivalry Knight into an enchanted delusion or madness. Such will never the cyclorama drop.. CHARGE!!

Book 2 up after W&G

Into Wizard and Glass. .. King, in my super humble opinion, can struggle at ending a tale. But, I have fully forgiven this as he is so fucking good at telling them. A proper proper spicket may not exist in his world or ours.

Last edited:
Last book in The Dark Tower series. The Dark Tower. I forgot how King had written himself so significantly into the story. Interesting but at second read its turned me off a little. Just strolled down memory lane right in the final book and parts came off like a Steven King infomercial. More power to him.

Rolling through the whole series so quickly I have recognized that his relentless audience over the last fifty years both facilitated and effected the long work. Kings partying, sobriety and writing are explored in properly titled associated text. He certainly proposes the link between alcohol and creativity, Rather than stating conclusions he seems to .leave them up to the reader.

I have Ham on Rye, Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller and Dog Soldier's by Robert Stone up for this week.

Ripping on Kings endings and then I reread The tower.. fkn great ending.. I don't think i got it the first time around.

Switched gears into Henry Miller and that reads good.