• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: cduggles | Mysterier
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Social What are you currently reading?

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
Having a trash chute was one of my favorite things about my building. It made me feel important, like I was participating in the world. My trash mixed with the trash of others. The things I touched touched things other people had touched. I was contributing. I was connecting.

currently reading Hunter S Thompson's "The Rum Diary" - am not a fan of his stuff in general but am really enjoying this one
is my favorite of his. certainly has a different feel. reminds me of his unfinished (or unpublished?) Prince Jellyfish.

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
I’d told the bartender—an old Polish lady—at the beginning, “I don’t like talking while I drink, so I may not talk to you.”

“Okay,” she’d said. “No problem.” She was very respectful.

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
Don’t accuse myself. Seek the basis of selfishness: nothing that I am not can interest me, it is impossible to be any more than what you are (nevertheless I exceed myself even when I’m not delirious, I am more than myself almost normally); I have a body and everything that I do is a continuation of my beginning; if the Mayan civilization doesn’t interest me it is because I have nothing in me that can connect with its bas-reliefs; I accept everything that comes from me because I am unaware of the causes and I may be trampling something vital without knowing it; this is my greatest humility, she figured.

dasein

Bluelight Crew
The subtle Art of not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson

It seems this is an incredibly popular book because I had to wait nearly two months on my E-library waitlist before I could read it.

A more accurate title would be "The subtle Art of giving a fuck about things worth giving a fuck about"

Essentially the first half of this book is an expanded version of the commencement speech of David Foster Wallace which was turned into a small book with the title "This is Water"

Its blatantly obvious that Mark Manson was a fan of this speech and DFW because he literally plagiarizes parts of it (mixed in with thefts from other DFW material) throughout the first half of this book. He obviously doesn't give a fuck and I don't feel like explaining this further but if its any interest to someone else read these works:

This is Water David Foster Wallace

Although Of Course You end Up Becoming Yourself: David Lipsky

Consider The Lobster David Foster Wallace

Kellsee

Bluelighter
I am reading three right now becuase they kinda go hand in hand.

Christian Cautions and the Necessity of Self-Examination

The Nature of True Virtue

The Freedom of the Will

They are all by Jonathan Edwards

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
it takes a big bite of gender and then doesn’t chew. making the objectification of children literal. that’s good nasty. including making one a vampire so he or she doesn’t age. sick. cutting off his penis and then he lives as a girl is more “what?” than “oh fuck.” it’s a big thing. the novel talks about her not being a girl a lot, but doesn’t say much more than that. eli attributes the appearance of innocence to surviving as a blood sucker so maybe at some point he decided it's easier as a girl, but he’s using a pedophile who is very much into boys and views him as such. the lord didn’t ask for the attendance of the village’s little girls. i do like the ambiguity of him choosing the dress despite the narrator switching to “him.”

Last edited: