MsDiz

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Currently on:

21 lessons for the 21st century - Yuval Noah Harari

Ten lessons for a post pandemic world - Fareed Zakaria

Burnt Offerings

Bluelighter
I liked YNH's book "Sapiens", it was an enjoyable read I thought...I don't agree with all the conclusions he drew in that book but he has a real writing ability IMO. I'm glad that I gave the book a chance and didn't let myself get turned off from it by the praise it received from academic-types who I dislike, like Steven Pinker and Jared Diamond etc.

neversickanymore

Staff member
Stoner by John Williams. Perfect portrait of the insignificance that can be found in a life of cowardly servitude to safety and proper custom.
Its about what really ends up being important to a persons life.. and no one in the story has much a clue about what ends up being important. Everyone of them are clueless. That's part of what i heard. Great writing.

Last edited:

mdx92129

Bluelighter
Currently on:

YNH is wonderful, I've read his trilogy of Sapiens, Homo Deus and 21 Lessons. Reading his work is an initiation rite for every anthropology student that I know.

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
I’ve never aspired to be more than a dreamer. I paid no attention to those who spoke to me of living. I’ve always belonged to what isn’t where I am and to what I could never be. Whatever isn’t mine, no matter how base, has always had poetry for me. The only thing I’ve loved is nothing at all. The only thing I’ve desired is what I couldn’t even imagine. All I asked of life is that it go on by without my feeling it. All I demanded of love is that it never stop being a distant dream.

WitchDr

Bluelighter
Foxocracy. It's about how fox news is straight propaganda and the tactics they use to manipulate their audience

dus_aster

Bluelighter
House of Leaves, Mark Z. Danielewski
(A classic that I've never finished- got a good feeling about this time.)

Killer High: a History of War in Six Drugs, Peter Andreas
(Which drugs? Tobacco, caffeine, cocaine, amphetamine, opium, and alcohol.)

ControlDaddy

Bluelighter
Currently on:

I am about three chapters into the first one. Sapiens is one of my all time favorite books. I love anthropology writing, and I also love me some Jared Diamond writings.

Zakaria is a CNN anchor, I’m always skeptical about books that come out so fast on a topical subject like that. I prefer very well researched non-fiction.

I am listening to Neil Gaiman’s American Gods.

I am reading The Vampire Lestat for the second time. The first time I was sixteen, and it is holding up well.

MsDiz

Staff member
Zakaria is a CNN anchor, I’m always skeptical about books that come out so fast on a topical subject like that. I prefer very well researched non-fiction.
You do realise it was Zakaria who made the prediction in like 2017 that the biggest threat to the USA was a virus? It’s hardly something that has been rushed out.

ControlDaddy

Bluelighter
You do realise it was Zakaria who made the prediction in like 2017 that the biggest threat to the USA was a virus? It’s hardly something that has been rushed out.
I had no idea. I had done no research, it just smelled funny to me. I have amended my premature conclusion. Thanks Ms.