• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

finished Flowers in the Attic. not on par with Ada, or Ardor. while i can understand why it has cult status, was surprised it’s serial fiction of writing quality to suit.

still, a fucked up coming of age tale with a female protagonist and author. didn’t hate it.

Did you read that short story, gods? Its all of 9 pages i believe.

yes. exactly four pages, if you make the margins wide as printable.

it’s a dense four pages though. i gotta read it again. it’s got lots of energy. rejoicing in the sublime or something along those lines. is unusually upbeat for nabokov. even the miscarriage ending.

it’s sitting on my nightstand but i’m outta town.

thank you for the recommendation. i will read it a time or two more to get a fuller grasp.

tell me what about it you appreciate?

Last edited:
I read Naked Lunch in less than 24 hours and then was reading a bit up on Burroughs et. al, and want to read Kaddish by Ginsberg next but the gut punches might hurt too much. :|

^you like Naked Lunch? i haven’t read it in over a decade. i remember it being great. so many with tastes i respect put it down. i trust myself foremost, but not my memory.

finished The Testaments by atwood. sequel to The Handmaid’s Tale. story exists in a very small world, where everything of importance is related and adjacent. has a lot of atwood’s usual themes, including a story being patchworked or quilted together. history written by females. imprisonment and isolation. the ambiguous nature of morality framed by circumstance.

does not standup to the original. is storybook. reunited for a bittersweet ending. made for tv?

i still enjoyed it. although it doesn’t consistently reach the depths i prefer — especially relative to grace and mary whitney — there’s severe friendship between young females. of course one of them dies. drowns herself like a good little mad girl. only her death is not fruitless. a calculated sacrifice, not an emotional escape. atwood is saying something, likely with a sneer.

“The death of a beautiful woman is, unquestionably, the most poetical topic in the world.” —poe

Last edited:
^you like Naked Lunch? i haven’t read it in over a decade. i remember it being great. so many with tastes i respect put it down. i trust myself foremost, but not my memory.

I think Naked Lunch is legit, even though the fact that's arguably overrated has opened up the door for people to snipe at it. The "cut-up" era novels (Soft Machine, Nova Express, etc.), I'm less sure about. Personally, Cities of the Red Night is my favorite in terms of Burroughs novels (and of course Junky, which is almost completely in the classic American hardboiled tradition and so kind of distinct from the post-Lunch period of his work).

I've been reading A Fascist Life, a biography of Italo Balbo, the Italian Fascist aviator, governor, and gentleman.

i haven’t read Cities of the Read night. i’ve read a couple of his early conventional novels, including Junky and Queer. pretty sure i liked them.

Last edited:
I think Naked Lunch is legit, even though the fact that's arguably overrated has opened up the door for people to snipe at it. The "cut-up" era novels (Soft Machine, Nova Express, etc.), I'm less sure about. Personally, Cities of the Red Night is my favorite in terms of Burroughs novels (and of course Junky, which is almost completely in the classic American hardboiled tradition and so kind of distinct from the post-Lunch period of his work).

I've been reading A Fascist Life, a biography of Italo Balbo, the Italian Fascist aviator, governor, and gentleman.
I like its ability to make me feel moved

I LOVED it. Top 5 if not best I have ever read.

Currently reading Suicide Note.
It's way to scientifically intricate in enter woven for me to comprehend even if I did read the whole thing I think I'm going to stop around maybe where I am now with it for now

Trying to read more again. 3/4 of the way through The Anatomy of Evil by Michael Stone M.D. and 1/2 way through Condensed Chaos an intro to chaos magick by Phil Hine. I'm really bad at reading one book at a time.

^according to my casual observations, most people don’t read one book at a time. which blows my mind.

atwood not pulling punches in Oryx and Crake ...

Oryx paused in her activities. She smiled a hard little smile that made her appear much older, and wiped the whipped cream from her mouth. Then she looked over her shoulder and right into the eyes of the viewer – right into Jimmy’s eyes, into the secret person inside him. I see you, that look said. I see you watching. I know you. I know what you want.

Last edited:
Navajo Wildlands "as long as the rivers shall run".

I could surely take a trip of the mescaline variety out there.

Or just hike. But why not go all the way if you are going to Navajo Wildlands and that requires partaking of the fruits of the land.

mjVoZDrJRGDThgz-1600x900-noPad.jpg

^according to my casual observations, most people don’t read one book at a time. which blows my mind.

atwood not pulling punches in Oryx and Crake ...

Oryx paused in her activities. She smiled a hard little smile that made her appear much older, and wiped the whipped cream from her mouth. Then she looked over her shoulder and right into the eyes of the viewer – right into Jimmy’s eyes, into the secret person inside him. I see you, that look said. I see you watching. I know you. I know what you want.

The way I see it I have a specific book for an occasion, like if I have a flight I'll grab something long and scientific. For a break at work I'll read something weird lately it's been my Chaos magick book.

I've been stuck at home with no wifi and flickering power so I sat down and started NOS4A2 by Joe Hill and got 250 pages in before I got sleepy and went to bed. I'm gonna do another 1-200 right now and I'll be about halfway through.

^finish? any good?

fell back into opiates and benzos which at first resulted in mass reading because opiates and the novel were made for one another. ended in no reading. now about to start the second book in this trilogy after consuming mass benzos. hopefully i'll remember what's going on. things were not going well for the human race.

i've been reading Feeling Good by david burns. recommended by a psychiatrist in inpatient. don't know if i can finish it. fuck anything but fiction.

people still reading? what? seems like a good time to read.

“Opiates and the novel...” for sure! I loved nothing more than morning reading while the sun came up and my pills kicked in.

ive read Feeling Good It’s okay but standard cognitive therapy stuff. I much more recommend The Tools or Coming Alive by Stutz and Michaels. Those guys know what’s up.

Apologies if I should have started a new thread.

Could anyone here recommend a novel to me that is centered around IV drug use? Non fiction is welcomed, but I would like to begin with fiction 😊

I dont think it is exactly centered around the IV thing, but Jesus Son is about a junkie. And there is plenty of shooting up and drug use.

it also happens to be one of the best books written in the last 50 years. I mean it is really tremendous.

I dont think it is exactly centered around the IV thing, but Jesus Son is about a junkie. And there is plenty of shooting up and drug use.

it also happens to be one of the best books written in the last 50 years. I mean it is really tremendous.
Thank you for the recommendation, I will definitely get a copy.

Are you referring to Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson?

If so, that is a fantastic place for me to start. I love short story collections. One of my favorite short story collections is Four Past Midnight by Stephen King