• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

I’m telling you man if you’ve not tried jg farrell you really should. Thinks he’s a little overlooked as twentieth century classics are concerned. Just rereading ‘Troubles’ and he really gets the balance of funny/sad. Great book dudes.

i enjoyed reading

KEN-07Apr11-Mute-Swan-05.jpg

It's rare I read books over again but there have been a small few (Naked Lunch - William S Burroughs) & Fight Club are two, I think that says more about me than I should be letting on really but I began to read it over again yesterday. The part in the bar I'll never forget where he "helps" the Japanese man light his cigarette has never left my memory, you will understand why.

You ever read anything by Haruki Murakami? His one of my most loved authors & his Japanese also but his stuff is a million miles away from Ryu Murakami (in The Miso Soup)
His best work imho is "Pinball" & you usually get it with his 2nd work called "Wind" which is also amazing, his won loads of awards & his Japans biggest selling author, I really love his work & have so many of his books on my shelf.

oh man, cduggles reads genre! that’s cool. i want to re-read some books. when i was really into film, i re-watched movies dozens of times. but i’ve never been a big re-reader. except Lolita. i gotta re-read that from time to time to stay sharp. motherfuckers out here saying The Price of Salt is a happy ending.
Might I ask what draws you back to Lolita over and over?

I watched Kubrick's adaptation recently and was less impressed than I usually am by his work. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the matter.

I am currently reading Frank Herbert's Dune. Cliche I know, but I never got around to reading it. Watched the disaster of a film David Lynch made and the two aren't all that similar thus far.

have you read the book? the story is about its form. Lolita doesn’t make any sense as a movie. both films are nonsense.

Lolita is about the novel. i love the novel. it’s rich. reading Lolita is exercise. the story is expansive and complex. rolling and lulling.

dolores haze might be the most human character i’ve encountered in literature.

have you read the book? the story is about its form. Lolita doesn’t make any sense as a movie. both films are nonsense.

Lolita is about the novel. i love the novel. it’s rich. reading Lolita is exercise. the story is expansive and complex. rolling and lulling.

dolores haze might be the most human character i’ve encountered in literature.
Haven't read it, no. I'll have to add it to my list.

That list keeps getting longer though >.<

looking forward to hearing what you think. i highly recommend the annotated version. while i disagree with some of the annotations, as does nabokov, it is still very helpful. especially because the text contains a variety of untranslated non-english lines (translated in the annotations).

Lolita is exceptional, one of my favorite novels of all time.

The paranoia and lunacy could never be captured in a film adaptation.

Reading Lolita is like reading poetry in the sense that each sentence has a sort of reverberation to it.

It is the most approachable and entertaining of any of his novels. The first time i read it was as a pdf on an old phone (like 8 years ago).

I also liked Lolita.

I am reading nonfiction, a five-volume set called A History of Private Life. I’m on volume 1, which covers from Pagan Rome to Byzantium times. (It is translated from French to English language.)

When Mayland Thompson dies he wants to be buried with the body of a twelve-year-old girl. "A fresh one," he says. "Huh! Just toss her in there and let her keep me company till Jesus gets here."

As for his wife, Linda, he'd like her to wait for judgment in a mass grave with all her boyfriends. He threatens to write their names in his will: two deputy sheriffs, a detective, a railroad switchman, bartenders, motel owners, pavement repairmen, drunks.

"You'll have some real winners to cuddle up to," he tells her. "They're bad enough alive. Just imagine what they'll be like, full of worms."

She holds up a dead mouse by the tail. "There was three of these in the basement. Reminded me of you. Time I get old enough to die, you won't be able to make me do nothing."

His hair turns a shade grayer in the afternoon light. It's just that he wouldn't want her to be lonely either ...

Trudging along with The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

I read "Small World" recently. It is an incredibly depressing yet well-written, witty piece of literature. Basically, avoid at all costs. 8(

“... and the dew dancing on the tips of the flowers and leaves made the garden like a mosaic of single sparks not yet formed into one whole.”

“Everything became softly amorphous, as if the china of the plate flowed and the steel of the knife were liquid.”

maybe she was looking at subversive paintings, but sounds like woolf might have been picking mushrooms.

Reading "Heart Medicine" by Elizabeth Bast. It's a psychedelic love story that involves a couples journey from Heroin addiction to Iboga and everything inbetween.