• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What are the effects/benefits of Ashwagandha?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
If any?And does it have any recreational value or effect other drugs/medications?
I can't find much info online.

No recreational potential.

It has a definite benzodiazepine like feel to it (the most drug like of any OTC "herbal" product ive had, apart from ephedra), but this is combined with a sort of edginess that's hard to explain. My hearing becomes weirdly sensitive on it, in a very irritating way, where the sound of my girlfriend breathing or a coworkers typing is uncomfortable and annoying. Weird but unmistakable side-effect that happens every time, but the benzo like anxiolytic properties are cleary apparent. It feels the most benzo like of any herb ive ever tried (far more benzo like than kava kava, which feels more like alcohol).

In sum, ashwaganda is reminiscent of a shitty benzo with some weird side-effects (like changes in sensation, irritability, and some parathesia). A decent natural benzo with little recreational potency. Ive taken it during benzo withdrawal and it is very effective -- so effective that it seems to act directly on benzodiazapine receptors; so much so that it prolongs benzo withdrawal. This means it is not helpful during benzo withdrawal because it just extends the withdrawal by disallowing you reach "normal" (homeostasis) as quickly.

My guess is that the active alkaloids (in the case of ashwaganda you might describe these as neuroactive steroids) are partial agonists at the benzodiazepine binding sites of the GABA-A receptor.

No recreational potential.

It has a definite benzodiazepine like feel to it (the most drug like of any OTC "herbal" product ive had, apart from ephedra), but this is combined with a sort of edginess that's hard to explain. My hearing becomes weirdly sensitive on it, in a very irritating way, where the sound of my girlfriend breathing or a coworkers typing is uncomfortable and annoying. Weird but unmistakable side-effect that happens every time, but the benzo like anxiolytic properties are cleary apparent. It feels the most benzo like of any herb ive ever tried (far more benzo like than kava kava, which feels more like alcohol).

In sum, ashwaganda is reminiscent of a shitty benzo with some weird side-effects (like changes in sensation, irritability, and some parathesia). A decent natural benzo with little recreational potency. Ive taken it during benzo withdrawal and it is very effective -- so effective that it seems to act directly on benzodiazapine receptors; so much so that it prolongs benzo withdrawal. This means it is not helpful during benzo withdrawal because it just extends the withdrawal by disallowing you reach "normal" (homeostasis) as quickly.

My guess is that the active alkaloids (in the case of ashwaganda you might describe these as neuroactive steroids) are partial agonists at the benzodiazepine binding sites of the GABA-A receptor.

Have you tried mulungu root? That's by a wide margin the closest thing I've tried to an herbal benzodiazepine. I'd be interested in how they compare as the ashwagandha is far easier to find...

Mulungu tea is really good. Assists in over stimulation. I have used it many times to unwind after stims.

Have you tried mulungu root? That's by a wide margin the closest thing I've tried to an herbal benzodiazepine. I'd be interested in how they compare as the ashwagandha is far easier to find...

Yes I just got some mulungu not too long ago. To me ashwagandha feels far more benzodiazepine like with pretty clearcut anti-anxiety properties where mulungu is more sedating but with less anti-anxiety effects. I've only taken the mulungu about 8 times (compared to 50 times for the ashwagandha) so I need more experience to say this definitely.

Pharmacologically ashwagandha (or rather the neurosteroid withanolide compounds in the plant) appears to act directly on GABAA whereas mulungu seems to be antinicotinic (one specific site, the alpha 7, is interestingly a site that ketamine blocks and might partially explain its antidepressant effect).

Many find Ashwagandha to be relaxing in a mild way. I would highly recommend buy from a health food store. Historically, the "big box" stores have bee caught selling supplements with no active ingredients or greatly reduced.

I think it's a great thing to try.

I tried ashwagandha years ago when I has into that kind of stuff, but I don't remember feeling anything special. I think it was milder than other "sedating herbs" like valerian root and chamomile. Ashwagandha is considered to be an adaptogen but I don't know if its benefits have been proven.

@negrogesic Do you remember the dose that made you feel that way? I think the most I ever took was 2x 250mg pills.

I tried ashwagandha years ago when I has into that kind of stuff, but I don't remember feeling anything special. I think it was milder than other "sedating herbs" like valerian root and chamomile. Ashwagandha is considered to be an adaptogen but I don't know if its benefits have been proven.

@negrogesic Do you remember the dose that made you feel that way? I think the most I ever took was 2x 250mg pills.

I had the standardized ashwagandha extract known as KSM-66 which should be quite a bit more potent than just the plant itself. Most i've taken of KSM-66 is 1000mg. The effects are pretty unmistakable if you currently don't have a benzo tolerance. The first few times were especially noticeable. It felt clearly benzodiazepine-like. As i continued to take it i began to notice more side-effects emerge, like irritability and hypersensitive hearing.

In a pinch though it seems to be decent natural alternative to a benzo for occasional use, but I wouldn't recommend daily use. It likely can cause a rebound when discontinued, and the side-effects seem to come out with frequent use.