• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What are the acute effects of oral 150mg/300mg bupropion?

Memantine

Bluelighter
Does it give efedrine-like stimulation or are the anticholinergic effects more profound?

I'd venture to say that there are not many, if any acute effects of taking bupropion orally. It's an antidepressant, an SNRI (right?) so it will take a little bit of time for the desired effects to build up in your system. I was put on bupropion once for a couple of months and the only noticeable, acute effects of the drug in the early stages of treatment were mild discomfort.

If you ingest bupropion through a different ROA, say, insufflation, then it can cause some stimulant-like effects for about 10-15 minutes. From what I hear and have seen, Wellbutrin is a popular medication of trade in jails and prisons for this purpose, but there's a reason the practice has remained mainly in institutions and hasn't spread further. The reason being that it is just no worth it with this drug. 15 minutes of mild stimulation, followed by a headache, with a rather large amount of powder to insufflate in the process.

If you're looking to use bupropion therapeutically, just take it as directed and don't expect any major effects from the outset of treatment. It could end up helping you in the long-run like antidepressants do for many others. Hope this helps.

Bupropion is an NDRI, a Noradrenaline-Dopamine-Reuptake-Inhibitor, not an SNRI. However, upon oral ingestion, almost the whole dose is rapidly converted into a metabolite called hydroxy-bupropion, which is virtually devoid of the dopaminergic activity needed for a pleasant type of stimulation. Hence the need to snort or shoot it to get even a short-lived buzz from unmetabolized bupropion.