• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What antidepressant should I go on and still be able to roll?

mightyhedgehog

Greenlighter
I currently take:

quetiapine/seroquel XR: 150mg per night
sertraline/zoloft: 100mg per night
alprazolam/xanax: 0.25mg as needed or 1mg as needed (I've never needed to take 1mg because the quetiapine works better than other antipsychotics I was on at the time and my psychiatrist prescribed the 1mg as a "break glass in case of emergency" thing while I was making the switch to quetiapine)

So I've been able to successfully roll on MDMA while on quetiapine but now that I've added sertraline I cannot roll anymore. I found the thread about different antidepressants and their interactions with various recreational drugs and it said that SSRIs pretty much nullify the effects of MDMA which is what happened with me.

So, I would like to know what antidepressant I could switch to so that I can still enjoy MDMA. I've looked into bupropion/wellbutrin but since the quetiapine already increases the risk of seizures I'm kind of scared to add bupropion. I'm not prone to seizures at all, I've never had one in my life and I have no known family history of seizures or related disorders, so I don't really know how risky it is to combine these prescriptions for me. Is it a concern if I'm not prone to seizures? I also know that MAOIs are a big no-no with pretty much any other drug so obviously I'm not going to look at those. I want to get high, not die.

Anyway, I'm only looking to change my antidepressant, I like quetiapine, I've tried like 6 or 7 other antipsychotics and quetiapine is the only one that works for me with minimal side effects. So I'm only looking to switch out the sertraline for something I can still party on. Also, please do not tell me to stop recreational drug use until I can get off the meds. I know it's sound advice, I know I'm being reckless because I want to continue using party drugs while on medications for mental health disorders. I know what I'm doing is bad. Shame on me. I want to get high every now and then, I'm sure most of you can empathize with that.

So tell me, what antidepressant have you been able to roll successfully on?

Well on my small search I found that Sertraline do not interact with MDMA. But you state that it does, and that you already taken quetiapine with MDMA and roll.

Kinda looks very difficult to roll and do your meds, is a shame and maybe I will conduct a little more deep research about MDMA and antidepressants. If I find something relevant I will let you know.

I get you that people sometimes get really judgy about meds and drugs interaction. Some in the psychedelic culture react badly if they know I use LSD-25 and have prescribed Lithium. I really didn't knew lithium could interact with psychedelic after almost 3 years with lithium. Still use it.

Well on my small search I found that Sertraline do not interact with MDMA. But you state that it does, and that you already taken quetiapine with MDMA and roll.

Kinda looks very difficult to roll and do your meds, is a shame and maybe I will conduct a little more deep research about MDMA and antidepressants. If I find something relevant I will let you know.

I get you that people sometimes get really judgy about meds and drugs interaction. Some in the psychedelic culture react badly if they know I use LSD-25 and have prescribed Lithium. I really didn't knew lithium could interact with psychedelic after almost 3 years with lithium. Still use it.
So sertraline and other SSRIs are not considered that dangerous with MDMA, however obviously if you take copious amounts of MDMA while on SSRIs it could spell trouble but for the most part they do not react badly with one another. You simply won't feel the MDMA. So I'm looking for an antidepressant where I will feel it.

All SSRI's and SNRI's will cancel out the effects of MDMA.

That entire family of drugs will inhibit serotonin reuptake while MDMA works by increasing it.

The only thing you could do is come off your SSRI. If you actually need it for mental health I don't recommend it.

Bupropion (Wellbutrin) does not act on the seratonergic system, it works mainly on norepinephrine. I have been taking it for 10 years and have rolled on it once, amazing experience. It has less sexual side effects than SSRI's and as a bonus will help you quit smoking!

I will say that if your current antidepressant is working well, you shouldn't mess with it just to do a drug once in a while. Honestly, if you have depression MDMA is unfortunately one of the worse ones to mess with. I have bipolar and there's not a lot of drugs I can do that don't trigger problems. Right now I do ketamine and analogs maybe 2-3 times a month, which is fun and actually helps the depression. However, doing ketamine every day for long periods can fuck you up bad so beware of that

Bupropion (Wellbutrin) does not act on the seratonergic system, it works mainly on norepinephrine. I have been taking it for 10 years and have rolled on it once, amazing experience. It has less sexual side effects than SSRI's and as a bonus will help you quit smoking!

I will say that if your current antidepressant is working well, you shouldn't mess with it just to do a drug once in a while. Honestly, if you have depression MDMA is unfortunately one of the worse ones to mess with. I have bipolar and there's not a lot of drugs I can do that don't trigger problems. Right now I do ketamine and analogs maybe 2-3 times a month, which is fun and actually helps the depression. However, doing ketamine every day for long periods can fuck you up bad so beware of that
My worry with bupropion is that it increases the risk of seizures and the quetiapine I'm on also increases the risk of seizures so the drug interaction checker on drugs.com says it could be a problem. I'm not prone to seizures, I've never had one, and I have no family history of seizure related disorders so I don't know how much of a concern that would be. Do you think it would be a concern?

Mixing quetiapine with MDMA carries the same risk since they both lower the seizure threshold. So adding another drug that makes you more prone to seizures on top is not really a good idea from an HR perspective.

You could put a benzo on top to prevent the possibility of seizures, clonazepam in particular is good at this, but then you are weakening the effect of the MDMA and you'll probably also blackout if my experience of taking benzos on the tail end of rolls is anything to go by.

Overall this is a very messy situation because you're on so many different meds.

So you're going to party like you want.. i would too if i was at that place and not willing to stop for whatever the reason is. You have to figure out how often you plan to do this and how much damage your combo is then make the appropriate adjustment to your MEDS. What are you willing to stop taking or at least cut down on?

Thanks for the responses, guys, and not just flat out telling me I'm an idiot lol. Thank you, seriously I really appreciate it.

I can't cut down on the quetiapine. The xanax I take 0.25mg sparingly, sometimes twice a week for school but when I'm at a festival or on vacation I don't take any. The sertraline, hopefully I can just switch to a different one, maybe on a low dose and call it good.

So, I also read that it's possible to roll on mirtazapine/remeron. It's a tetracyclic antidepressant and the interaction checker says it carries the same risk of an irregular heart rhythm as the sertraline and quetiapine combo which I haven't experienced so far. So potentially a safer combo than bupropion. I read that the effects of MDMA don't hit as hard while on mirtazapine which is fine with me, I don't really like to go cross-eyed anyway cuz I get made fun of lol.

So if anyone has any experience rolling while taking mirtazapine I'd like to hear it.

If you've never had a seizure before I'm not too concerned about the seizure potential, I'm more concerned about you switching antidepressants. Switching SSRI's is one thing, but you can't just start substituting one class of antidepressants for another, you have to taper the setraline and add the bupropion at some point in the process. That is a very unpredictable situation and the only reason I can think to do it is if the setraline is not helping you, or has intolerable side effects. Wanting to roll is not a good reason; you are taking a risk of long term problems for ephemeral pleasure. Ketamine is a lot less hard on your serotonin 5HT receptors, as long as you don't overdo it. I don't know how it would interact with your remeron, but if I'm not mistaken those act on dopamine and not NMDA receptors.

Possibly the worst experience of my life was when I was having ECT treatments (long story, but they had really helped me the first time) and I either misunderstood or got bad advice from a doctor to suddenly stop taking the bupropion, which I had been on for probably 8 years at that point. The result was like being trapped in a bad LSD trip for months. It was like waves of dread and terror washing over me, and my perception was completely fucked up for a while in a very scary way and I didn't know when, if ever, it was going to end. So, the moral is, don't ever abruptly discontinue psychiatric drugs without consulting your pdoc. I wish you luck!

@tesseracts I definitely won't discontinue any prescription drugs suddenly. I've been down that path when I was young and stupid and wound up in the hospital. That's not something I want to repeat. I've only been on sertraline for a couple months. We would definitely taper off of it as we have with many other prescriptions I've needed to come off of. I'm looking to do this as safely as possible and I understand that takes time. Of course my pdoc will be involved in the process the whole time. I'm very good at taking my prescriptions as prescribed, hell I'm even TOO cautious sometimes because I know that tapering too quickly can cause side effects so I always taper as slowly as I can on every prescription.

@ChemicallyEnhanced you can still roll on sertraline? That's honestly amazing because it just completely blocks all of the effects for me. Are you on a lower dose?

@tesseracts I definitely won't discontinue any prescription drugs suddenly. I've been down that path when I was young and stupid and wound up in the hospital. That's not something I want to repeat. I've only been on sertraline for a couple months. We would definitely taper off of it as we have with many other prescriptions I've needed to come off of. I'm looking to do this as safely as possible and I understand that takes time. Of course my pdoc will be involved in the process the whole time. I'm very good at taking my prescriptions as prescribed, hell I'm even TOO cautious sometimes because I know that tapering too quickly can cause side effects so I always taper as slowly as I can on every prescription.

@ChemicallyEnhanced you can still roll on sertraline? That's honestly amazing because it just completely blocks all of the effects for me. Are you on a lower dose?

No, I'm on 150mg. Well, I'm prescribed 150mg. I take anywhere up to 350mg if I'm feeling particularly bad that day.
If I'm gonna do MDMA, though, I do not take it that day or the day before.

Mirtazapine is fucking awful and I can absolutely imagine it ruining a roll. It turned me into an emotionless zombie and made me suicidal when I was on it. Might not be that bad for you but it's certainly not something that would be pleasant to combine with MDMA and it is very strongly sedating. On that shit I was out for 12 hours. I also had vivid nightmares which is a common known side effect. Just all around terrible substance.

That's good to know. The quetiapine is already very sedating so I can only imagine what it would be like being on both.

Yeah and the sedation for both uses the same mechanism of action as both quetiapine and mirtazapine are essentially very potent antihistamines so you would be zonked if you were on both. Can't imagine it'd do much good for your body long-term either honestly.