Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Wendell's war on drugs

phase_dancer

Bluelight Crew
Wendell's war on drugs

December 12, 2006 12:00
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

A CONTRITE Wendell Sailor has pledged to turn anti-drugs campaigner after the former Wallaby star last night ended the protracted fight to have his two-year doping ban reduced.
Speaking exclusively to The Daily Telegraph, Sailor revealed he would spend the next 16 months in sporting exile talking to children and rising football stars about the perils of alcohol and drug use.

"I'm willing to cop this and let it be a lesson for any young footballer out there that drugs are just not worth it," Sailor said. "I would have loved to appeal the ban. But this has dragged on for months and it's been very draining." He also spoke of the pain the ordeal had inflicted on his family, saying his late father Daniel would be "very disappointed" if he knew of Sailor's indiscretion.

Handed a two-year ban in July after testing positive to cocaine, Sailor launched an appeal to have his sentenced reduced with the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

But Sailor and his legal team yesterday withdrew the appeal, with the dual international taking full responsibility for his actions.

"I didn't always agree with the ban but the fact is I put myself in this position. I've been silly and stupid and I've got to be accountable for my actions," he said.

"A drug ban is a massive slur on your reputation. To be tainted as a drug cheat has made me sick in the guts. I cannot stress enough that I did not and would never have attempted to cheat in sport through any means.

"I'll do whatever it takes to fix things."

Sailor has already begun the path to atonement, having spent the past three months preaching to children and charities about the dangers of substance abuse.

He has also offered to be the face of any plan from the government or the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority to wage war on drugs.

"I'm not hiding from what I've done. At the end of the day, I want to fix things. If I can help any kid or anyone who has a drug problem, I will," Sailor said.

"It was a massive error in judgement but I'll be doing everything in my power to help young footballers out.

"I've been working with some charities for the last couple of months on this issue. I got sick of people saying I should be out there helping because I have been helping. I just didn't want to publicise it.

"Kids know who I am. I won't lie, I've gone down to the local park and kids have asked me, 'Wendell, what happened with the drugs?' I tell them they aren't good for you.

"My son is eight years old now and he's impressionable. I understand I've let a lot of kids and fans down."

Sailor – whose doping ban ceases in May, 2008 – admits he owes it to his family to be productive during his time out of sport.

"I don't want my career to end like this, I'm better than this," said Sailor, who lost his father in 2001.

"I'd have one disappointed dad that I got sucked into this.

"That hurts me."

Sailor, who revealed he had still not heard from the ARU since the ban, said he had received invaluable support from Broncos coach Wayne Bennett and former Wallabies mentor Eddie Jones.

"Wayne has been great. He rang me and said it was a big mistake, I don't know how you got sucked into that lifestyle. But he said we would forever be mates, he's been a father figure for me," he said.

"I can't change what happened but I want to turn a negative into a positive.

"My life has to go on."

link

Sailor withdraws drugs ban appeal

Former Australia winger Wendell Sailor has withdrawn his appeal against a two-year doping ban for taking cocaine.

Sailor was suspended by the Australian Rugby Union after testing positive following a New South Wales match against the ACT Brumbies on 16 April.

"I have decided to withdraw my appeal in the Court of Arbitration of Sport," he said in a statement.

"Ultimately, I accept that it was my error of judgment that has placed me in this position."

Sailor, a dual code rugby union and league international, who played for the Wallabies 37 times, added: "I cannot stress enough that I did not and would never have attempted to cheat in sport through any means.

"Unfortunately I, like many other young Australians, fell to the off-field temptation of a so-called 'party drug'."

Sailor said that while he was banned from playing competitive sport, he would commit himself to educating young athletes on the dangers of banned substances.

The offer was welcomed by Australia's Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA).

"The case is a strong reminder to all athletes of the serious consequences under the World Anti-Doping Agency Code for those caught using cocaine," authority chairman Richard Ings said in a statement.

"By warning other athletes about the dangers of drug use, he can play an important role in protecting the integrity of Australian sport."

Sailor has endured a colourful off-field career since making his Wallabies debut in 2003. He was given a two-match suspended sentence for a nightclub incident while touring South Africa in 2005.

He was also fined and suspended for one match by the Waratahs after another South African nightclub incident in February, but the ARU imposed an additional two-match ban and fine for bringing the game into disrepute.

He insists he will return to competitive action once he has served his two-year ban, possibly in his original code of rugby league.

link

...Another one bites the dust...

First he decided against an appeal and then decides to preach to the kids - in a vein bid to get his ban overturned.

Unlucky Wendell. Should have stuck to AFL/League where drug testing is far more liberal!

It is interesting that during last years Wallaby tour of Europe, the players had an intervention regarding another player using coke too hard.

If you want to know, it wasn't Wendell.

how long does this man have to pay for his stupid mistake. It is wrong that they test for recreational drugs in sport. I can understand the philosophy behind testing for performance enhancing drugs and I think thats fair enough. But to test somebody for a recreational drug that they used in their own time (like cocaine. which unless directly under the influence of it, would not be performance enhancing) just because they are a public figure and the government funds their team is Bullshit. I mean, are these guys Athletes or are they political figures for Howards war on drugs. Its not like he got caught snorting the coke in public. What he does in his own time, out of the public eye is his business. It has nothing to do with his career.