• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Weird Families

Yah - First Post! :)

I have a very, very, very normal family also..... I consider myself quite lucky! From NZ originally, now living in Oz, but I visit family regularly

The only bad thing I can think of (which hurts like a bitch) is the fact that my brother lives in the States and I haven't been able to get my shit together to be able to visit him (I haven't seen him in about 6-7 years!!) Arrrgghh.

Bloody weak Aussie/NZ dollar....

Peace, love & mung beans

My family is relatively normal, a bit big perhaps, but nothing particularly unusual.

I'm the youngest of 8 kids, 4 Boys, 4 Girls, spanned over about 15 years or so.

The weird part is that I am only really now getting to know my oldest brothers and sisters, since they were getting married and moving out by the time I was old enough to remember. Which means there is an awful lot of in-laws and friends who "remember me when I was this big in nappies" 8(

my parents divorced, one is re-married, one is in a defacto relationship ... I have 9 brothers and sisters (including step and half siblings) ... i guess there is 14 people in my family ... but we've never all been in the same room together ... that would be kinda weird and possibly awkward.

My mum believes in fairies and has a "fairy garden" for a backyard.

She invents funny languages, sings to herself and still calls me "itty bitty girl" although I'm 29.

She's cuckoo but in the nicest possible way :). And deceptively strong and smart - she's been divorced twice, survived a stroke, and is in her 3rd year of university doing a Social Work degree at the age of 50 (while working part time raising a 15 year old).

Eh, no wonder she needs a fairy garden to escape to ;)

The rest of my family is pretty normal, although my brother does wear top hats!

Last edited:
My dad is an abusive typical village grown wog who used to beat me senseless when I was young and really endeared me to him :\ Which now leaves me in an emotional crisis since the guy has lung cancer and emphasima (sp?) I feel I should not care but I do :(

My mother is a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic who for years was convinced I was out to get her.

My sister got divorced, pretty much ditched her kids and left them to me to run off with some guy to Qld, who she met off then net.

I was married at 22 and speperated by 24 with a lovely little boy - I'm the boring one in the family lol

Apart from that, we're pretty much a well adjusted family.... 8)

:)

I have a 1/2 brother and sister, but was an only child until i met them at the age of 8. My parents are both musos. My dad worked in theatre for 15 years and i was always surrounded by extremely interesting people. Mum's oldest friend is transexual, and a majority of my parents friends were gay, lesbian, transgender, or crossdressers (male and female). My parents would have parties ( i was always around), and all the women would walk around in only g-strings..come to think of it, the men would too.

I would like to say that i really love my dad and have resolved all issues with him before i continue. He was a very domineering man and my mum and I lived in constant fear of a blow up. Both my parents worked at night, so from the age of about 6 i was essentially on my own (we had an old family member living with us, but he was 75 and kept to himself). My dad would give me chores, and if they weren't completed, he would wake me up at 3am (or whenever he got home) and make me do them. From the age of about 12 i was literally alone at home every evening...so as you can imagine, i can now keep myself amused, but at the time, it was a lonely existence. He would arc up about the smallest things, and most of my childhood memories are of being grounded or sent to my room.

When i was 15, my dad went overseas as his mother had a heart attack. I was staying at a friends house, i came home unannounced and walked in on my mum screwing another man on the bathroom floor. She told me to keep it a secret, because dad would divorce her. I did for 5 years. During this time, i found out that my parents had an open relationship. I didn't find it surprising, as from a young age, i was confused about the noises coming from my parents bedroom of a night time (ie: more than 2 voices). When i was 17, my parents told me that a "friend" was coming to stay as he and his girlfriend broke up. When he turned up, i realised that it was the same guy who was screwing my mum on the floor... I got really upset, it all came out eventually, but the guy still stayed! What really pissed me off is that i could hear them going at it at night... I moved out after that.

When i was 20 (i'm 27 now), my mum asked my dad for a divorce, as she'd fallen in love with this guy, my dad went psycho and pretty much made my mum a prisoner in the family home (i had moved in with my b/friend). My dad would make mum call me and tell me that she was nothing but a slut, everything was her fault, and she didn't deserve to live. I'm pretty sure he forced himself on her numerous times (she alluded to this after the fact).

One night, the other guy turned up pissed at the house, and started bashing the glass sliding door. It broke, and in the bustle, my mum's leg was slashed. It hit an artery and she almost bled to death. During this time, the other guy was chasing my dad around the house, and my dad stabbed the other guy, and got cut up himself.

This all led to my mum and the other guy getting a restraining order on my dad and my dad getting a restraining order on the other guy.

Dad decided that he was going to go overseas and pretty much said that he would commit suicide. I went with him and spent 6 months in hell.

That was 6.5 years ago.

I'm now married and with the help of my husband, friends, therapy, a course of anti-depressants and ALOT of crying, i am resolving my past. I love both my parents, and i know they both love me desperately , but i can also say that they probably weren't meant to be parents.

My mum is still with the other guy and my dad still lives overseas.

*takes virtual breath*

:)

^ Oh wow.... honey, what an incredible story. It's now quite clear why you're as deep and grounded as you are... you've had to become so, to rise above so much. We have much to talk about :) I have similar sorrows in my life too, and I'm similarly philosophical and almost look back on them humorously now... you kinda have to don't you....... Just wanted to say your story touched me, and please get in touch when you're in Melbourne.

24.gif
samadhi
24.gif

Haste & SLM: thanks guys... :):) Much love to you both xoxo

I completely agree with the sentiment that you have to look back on your negative experiences humorously... otherwise, you go insane :|

Hastey, your story really hit a spot in me, especially regarding your dad. It's a wonderful thing that you are so loving with your little man. Knowing what it's like to live in an abusive household, personally speaking, i can't comprehend the cycle of violence that is prevalent in so many homes today. I saw it SO much when i was working with the Department of Families. I guess if it's generationally ingrained, it's hard to break, but people like you and i are testament to the fact that it CAN be broken.

SLM: your mum sounds absolutely wonderful!!! It was only when i could look back on my mum's life that i saw how strong she was, and what she had to experience with my dad for 27 years. Theirs was an extremely volatile relationship...they loved eachother PASSIONATELY and they hated eachother PASSIONATELY. High highs and low lows.

I too can't wait till we come down to Melbs for a visit. I seriously can't wait to meet you!!! :)

Hastey, maybe we could meet up with you when we're down next year? We can finally meet our CEO of BOAR ;)

The stories in this thread have made me feel less isolated. It's a cliche ... but they're true.

My dad used to have a severe drinking problem and was always physically and psychologically abusive when drunk - which was most of the time. He would also leave for days, weeks, months on end and then return as though he'd never left. Being woken up in the small hours of the morning when he stumbled in home drunk and beaten for leaving the TV remote facing "the wrong way" (?) or some other completely insignificant and irrelevant thing wasn't much fun :\.
My mum let him treat her and me like shit so I never respected her. She'd cry to me since I was a kid and expect me to help her. I never had any compassion for her.
I always felt like I was walking on eggshells, like anything I did would be wrong and I'd get a beating for it. Whenever I think about this and all the times my dad's hurt me for no reason I get angry because I was a good kid. I was always the top student in all my classes, never rebelled against my parent's rules although they were and are very strict ... and I was made to feel like I'm bad.
I love my parents though, and they have gone a long way in the last few years and I recognise and appreciate that. My dad's still got a temper problem but he will never hit me again. My mum has learnt to stand up for herself more. But - they still have really awful fights that involve throwing things at one another and that go on for days. While this goes on I act like everything is normal even though I'm in the room with them while they are fighting and throwing things (I leave as soon as I can but sometimes I pretend I don't know them, and it becomes sort of amusing). Apparently, it's their marriage and I have no right to offer my opinion or to be upset about any of it.
The really weird thing is though ... they have REALLY great periods where we all get along relatively well, do things together, and I even talk to them sometimes. And then bang, out of nowhere something erupts and I feel ashamed that I am related to them because of the way they act.

Besides my dad, his dad was an alcoholic and died from it. He was also abusive to his wife and kids, and so is my dad's brother.
My auntie had a breakdown because her second husband won't let her speak to her kids from her first marriage.
My mum's dad cheated on my grandma for about 20 years. He told me about his affairs, he seemed quite proud of them. But I know he loves my grandma ... and all these strange people love me and I love them.

/// end venting feelings.

Last edited:
samadhi said:

Hastey, maybe we could meet up with you when we're down next year? We can finally meet our CEO of BOAR ;)

Would love to meet both of the samadhi's :):)

24.gif
I think all of you people are just amazing.
24.gif

I was initially angry with myself for starting this thread........but now I guess Im happy as maybe it is actually helping people to realise they are not alone in this world with there problems.

Keep smiling all.

^^ any thread that promotes in depth discussion is a good thread :)

Where to start?

My parents migrated here with my brother when he aged 7 from Poland to escape the communist insurgency that was spearheaded in their town of Gdansk. They moved to perth, my mother gave up her nursing career to look after my brother and me (who was just born on arrival, 1983). My dad was an abusive alcoholic (WHOSE ISNT FFS ;) who tormented my mother physically and mentally.

Uh now to the current day.
Parents are divorced, dad sold the family house and blew it on investments and alcohol. My mother let him keep the money from the sale of the house on the premise that he shared at least a portion of it amongst his 3 three children. Dad also wastes money jet-setting for no apparent reason between Poland and Australia.

I have a brother aged 29 who still lives at home, is a devout Roman catholic who listen to black metal (what a contradiction!). He drinks now and again and has stress issues but otherwise he is alright.

I have a sister aged 16 who is a wizz at high school, blizting her TEE's exams and getting excellent grades, we get along pretty well despite her obsesssion with emo-rock and some genre she calls love-metal (another contradiction). She is well smart and i hope all the best of her.

I am the black sheep in the family, i never go to the extended polish community outings or church, havent since i was 10 yrs old. I am 21 years old and trying to pursue a triptych of creative careers (writing, music, art) much to the dismay of my entire family. They want me to go back to the learning institutions and be like my white-collar brother who works in an office as a human resource manager.
I am pretty much diametrically opposed to all their morals and ethics but we get along well (we being my mum, bro and sis).

The rest of my family live in poland.
I have refused to communicate to my father ever again. I simply cannot affor d to get involved in his terminal need for drama and pure crap ever again.

It's still a hard an arduous journey for me to do what i want. I dont want to be like any of my family, i am committed to contributing to the intelligentsian community via either music, art or writing and will not be satisfied until i do.

Me so inconcomitant
:|

^^Right now I hate my brother. He is a self centered pig who doesnt care about anything but grog and his dick! :X Grr!

But they are so weird.. that they're cool..

Fuck, I'm almost embarassed to have a normal family after reading all of that. We're completely normal, all get along well, parents have been together for 30+ years, etc, etc, so in many respects we're quite boring...

I don't think I have laughed so much during a thread and at the same time felt so much absolute sympathy (please note - I was not laughing at the posts where I was feeling sympathetic).

Thanks guys for sharing all your experiences - it's great to have a community where you can and it shows heaps about you as a person, surviving and remaining sane after being in those situations!

^
amen

but the question of sanity is a dubious one,
especially when mental illnesses are by and large inherited from your family
:\